Suggestions for crating/separation axiety

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Quincy, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
As most of you read the other day, Herschel threw a complete tantrum when I went out shopping for a few hours. This was out of character for him since when I was working (only a month prior) he was an angel when left at home for 4-8 hours at a time. I figured it was just something he did that day and well... today it happened again.

His bowls were overturned (kibble and water everywhere), all the cushions off the chairs and blankets strewn about, anything paper within reach was torn up into bits, and my cell phone now has a non-working touch screen but decorated with some very nice bully teeth marks around the outside. (I was planning on a new phone and I guess Herschel made my mind up for me). I was gone for about 45 minutes at the most.

Now yesterday he was an angel when I was gone for a couple hours. Not sure what made today different.

I have never crated a dog before, and I do have a "safe room" upstairs that could be his room since it only has a rocking chair and his doggie pillow. Is this an option?

I know he is really attached to me and I take responsibility for spoiling him. He is at my side no matter where I am in the house and he listens and follows all commands, but like a child who doesn't get their way, he throws a tantrum when he is not allowed to go with me.

Any suggestions???

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Sweet Herschel:heart: I just saw Cesar Millan's show live and he showed how you should leave your dog alone in the house. You should make sure that he is tired before you leave and not all excited. Instead of letting him/her follow you around when you're about to leave, put and make him stay in his own bed or what ever place he is comfortable for around 15 minutes before you leave and then just go without saying goodbyes or giving him any attention.
This has helped with Usko who use to lick his paws when we went out in the evenings. He is OK left alone during the day when he just sleeps.

OP
Danielle

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Quincy, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
Thanks! I will put him in "his room" and wander around for a while so he can still hear me and then just leave. Other than the cell phone, no real damage was done. Just a lot of mischief! I will try this tomorrow since I need to get to the post office early.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Sweet Herschel:heart: I just saw Cesar Millan's show live and he showed how you should leave your dog alone in the house. You should make sure that he is tired before you leave and not all excited. Instead of letting him/her follow you around when you're about to leave, put and make him stay in his own bed or what ever place he is comfortable for around 15 minutes before you leave and then just go without saying goodbyes or giving him any attention.
This has helped with Usko who use to lick his paws when we went out in the evenings. He is OK left alone during the day when he just sleeps.

Great advice!

A tired pup is a good pup.

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Well.... I was gonna blame it on the cat again, but since Hershel left increminating teeth marks on the phone he obviously had a small part in the mischief :) I crate my pup, but I certainly think leaving him in his room would be best for both of you, at least until he stops the tantrums. Sounds like your guy just loves his mommy and wants to be with you always - it's good to be loved <3 !!!

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
Ulysses has had his crate from day one. I think by now he loves it there. I take him out for a walk, then put some water in, sometimes he even helps me to put some toys inside, then I turn the radio or TV on (depending on how long I'll be out) so that he doesn't feel so lonely, and that's that. I think he feels like his crate it's his safe place (he takes my shoes and everything else he "captures" there so I'm pretty sure about it :bully:). Of course a whole room is even better :yes: it is the safest way to go for you and him. Being alone and free to roam the house can be really dangerous, imagine he chokes with something or something heavy falls on him. Better to be safe. He will probably cry a little the first times, but he will definitely get used to it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.