Finding a Puppy- How to?

Rachel411

Jun 10, 2012
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie
So my husband and I have decided to add an EB puppy to our family. How do we go about finding a reputable breeder? We really only need "pet quality" but health is important. I've been doing lots of reading on the possible (maybe likely is the right word) health issues in EBs, and I want to lower the risk of any genetic issues. When I find a breeder, what are good questions to ask? Is there a big difference when buying before the litter is born versus after?

We have looked into rescues for a young adult, but can't seem to find what we want there. There are no rescues in Iowa and we are out of the adoption area for some neighboring state rescues. I keep checking a few sites, but am thinking we will find a puppy before the right one comes up.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
Rachel

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Info on a breeder - well.. 1st of all, if you get a name of the breeder, check them on the internet - search their names, search their Kennel names - you never know what you might come up with -

Stay away from Back Yard Breeders - how can you tell? if possible go to the breeders home and see the condition, are the Sire and Dame onsite?

Dont fall for the 'They are registered AKC' and purebreed etc. ALOT of 'unhealthy' dogs come with papers - go to dog shows in your area, contact your local Kennel Club, they will now people who know people etc. Check with your local Vet, they might be able to recommend either a Club or a Breeder.

You do not want to buy over the internet if possible - its best to see the conditions yourself - try to stay away from "Middle Men" puppy brokers, that bring the puppies in from 'Who knows where' and sometime brought in from "overseas".

Recommendations 'Which breeder do you use? would you purchase another puppy through them? what type of health issues have they had? (if they say NO health issues, I'd be very suspect) and asking on sites like this too! :)

I went to the BCARN site (The Bulldog Club of America Rescue Network) (Google BCARN for the exact site address) and they actually list 2 dogs in IA - that are in the 'Illinois English Bulldog Rescue' - so its safe to say you would fall into their area :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I think the best way that I found is the bca breeder listing. They are more show quality breeders which I think is what you should be looking for mostly. I know you want a pet, like we did but these breeders usually are known for breeding the right way, for betterment of the breed. Might be more expensive but believe me the "cheap ones" cost you more usually in the end.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
You have gotten some great advice. There are many bullies for adoption in the Adoption section and sometimes the rescues may work with you if you live farther. Check out the thread here is the link http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/available-english-bulldogs-adoption/ Usually bullies that were rescued are usually older meaning over 5 years old. I hope you get what you need and wish you all good luck with your search

OP
R

Rachel411

Jun 10, 2012
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie
Thank you all for the advice. My initial research has brought me to a lot of breeders that breed for show quality. Not to say others don't breed for quality dogs, but it seems those with show dogs are truly concerned with health, conformation, and temperament- all things important to me. I'm willing to be patient for the perfect puppy!

OP
R

Rachel411

Jun 10, 2012
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie
Can anyone tell me if most breeders are part of local or regional bulldog clubs? I've come across two in the midwest and was wondering if this would be a good place to get contact information.

Are there any other certifications a good breeder would have/ be a part of?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
All I know of is the bca (bulldog club of America) that's where I found Cutty's breeder. ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
All I know of is the bca (bulldog club of America) that's where I found Cutty's breeder. ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

It's a good idea to actually GO to a few dog shows. Find out when the EBs show and hang out. Watch people. Those folks know what's going on in the bulldog community and because they are frequently approached by random people "wanting a puppy", I'd craft your approach carefully. It's a great place for information and networking. Generally, the local BCA will have members there showing.

Members online

No members online now.