I got in "trouble" at work, lol

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
So today at work I was talking to all my regular bar customers (for those that don't know I am a bartender at a sports bar) they all know about Vegas and every Monday ask about him since I don't work week-ends.

So today was no different than any other Monday, a guy ask about Vegas and I was talking about him and a non-regular ask me what kind of dog I had. I told him an EB. One of my regs that is there 7 days a week (get a life!) spoke up and said "She has one Uuuugly bulldog, only a face that a mother could love".....:nonono: I stopped the conversation and told Al, "Wow.. how would you like it if I told you that your two kids were ugly?"

So I finish the day and was clocking out when I was ask to meet my boss in the office (Yikes!) He told he overheard the conversation and what I said to Al was inappropriate and that I needed to apologize to him tomorrow :eek: I said Al actually laughed when I said it but it really pis*ed me off!!

I told my boss that I would not apologize and AL knew better than to say it knowing how I feel about Vegas. I did not get wrote up or nothing more than talked to. When I said I would not apologize it was dropped at that.

I am soooo sick and tired of hearing "Only a face that a mother could love" ALL my regs, KNOW how I feel and talk about Vegas, and I know AL was joking, as was I when I said it back (kind of)

Do you think I was inappropriate????

Dalia55

Jan 31, 2012
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Lasagna Lopez, Maximus Meatball Meridius
not at all, first of all.... its a bar lol loosen up! & if it was in joking manner & the customer laughed it off then no harm done

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Not at all, Kelly!!!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well at least you didn't tell Al that "if you had a dog that looked like him (Al) you would shave his behind and make him walk backwards". :ROFL:

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
If you can't have a laugh with one of your regular customers, who obviously feels comfortable enough to tease you a bit, then who can you laugh with? I don't think it was inappropriate. You were kidding around and giving it back to Al a little bit, which is probably why he comes in and spends money there and not somewhere else.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
ok first... the title of this thread is awfully misleading. I thought another kind of "in trouble" and started to wonder what kind of bar you work at :ROFL:

second... no way were you inappropriate. You did what any mother would do, you defended your baby :) Getting "in trouble" at work would have been inappropriate :tease:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
When he comes In tomorrow..shout across at him so that your boss can hear...."hey Al....hope I didn't upset you yesterday when you said my dog was ugly" apology given, boss happy and Al will know you weren't really happy with his comment.

I like the way you think! Perfect!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
If you can't have a laugh with one of your regular customers, who obviously feels comfortable enough to tease you a bit, then who can you laugh with? I don't think it was inappropriate. You were kidding around and giving it back to Al a little bit, which is probably why he comes in and spends money there and not somewhere else.
No kiddin'. I was going to say that since Al is such a regular and you obviously have a working rapore (however it's spelled) with him that is perfectly fine. Your boss is just being a boss. I can see Al laughing at what you said. Now if it was a newer customer or someone you didn't know that well, well then that would be different. :)

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Nope! I think your reply was perfect! Dished it right back to him, especially since he is one of your regulars and obviously knows you and Vegas.

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Please, he's a regular. He knows. It isn't like its a new customer. He was picking and knew he'd push your buttons. Your manager took it way too seriously.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
inappropriate ? wow I guess I'm in the minority on this one. My feelings, yes you were inappropriate - as your job is customer service, and unfortunately you need to 'take it with a grain of salt'

What alot of people nowadays dont realize is, a customer (patron, client, whatever) is the reason that you have a job, without the customer, you have no reason to be in business.

He might not of gotten upset at your quick witted comeback, but, perhaps, 'Joe at the end of the Bar' overheard it, and didnt like it, so he decides to spend his money next door, oh and asked why he changed watering holes, he relates the story, maybe embellishes it a bit, and you really come off bad.

My mother in law is always saying 'Ugly dogs, only a face their mother can love....well ya know what? I LOVE ugly dogs! the uglier the better' (this is an 82 year old lady, who's elevator no longer rises to the top floor if you catch my drift!)

Yea, eat crow a bit, apologize to the schmuck to appease the boss, and spend a few minutes thinking of a snappy but less abrasive comeback, cause all of us bully parent hear those comments -

My favorite question has been 'How does she eat with teeth like that?' I looked at the lady, patted Gizmo's belly, and said 'She obviously eats without a problem' :)

Its all good :) that is unless you dont particularly need that job, then its a whole different story :)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
having worked in a bar myself i know how it is and how it works. al will be there tomorrow and he will probably apologize himself. and joe at the end of the bar will tell his buddies about this waitress who dont take no crap and his buddies will come to see. i was not always as gracious with the customers as i could have been as this was a night job i had after working all day and listening to bs customers and saying yes maam. so at the bar i just told em like it was and i had more customers than i could handle as those men ate it up. my boss would just shake his head and laugh at it. the woman behind the bar holds the power and the mens attention. i once made a fella at a table who kept spilling his drinks clean up his own mess with my bar towel. his eyes got big but he said yes maam and did it and didnt spill no more drinks. its all good kelly im sure things will be status quo next time you go back. :)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Definitely not inappropriate .. I agree that it is technically customer service but this is a sports bar ..... that's a whole new meaning to customer service. Back in England my parents owned a pub for many years and I worked in the bar there. I don't need to tell you that your customers don't come back for the comfy chairs and the pics they have on the wall. They come back because the beer is cold and there is a damn good "barmaid" behind the bar. Al isn't there for anyone but you and the rest of the staff. Is your manager new or something ........ cos anybody with any experience of running a pub/bar would have more sense than to call you out on something that is typical bar banter!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.