RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I agree with [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]....

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Definitely not inappropriate .. I agree that it is technically customer service but this is a sports bar ..... that's a whole new meaning to customer service. Back in England my parents owned a pub for many years and I worked in the bar there. I don't need to tell you that your customers don't come back for the comfy chairs and the pics they have on the wall. They come back because the beer is cold and there is a damn good "barmaid" behind the bar. Al isn't there for anyone but you and the rest of the staff. Is your manager new or something ........ cos anybody with any experience of running a pub/bar would have more sense than to call you out on something that is typical bar banter!!
Yes [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION], brand new General Manager, been there for a month, It was all in fun and when I said I was not going to apologize I think he got a good feel of me and my standards. I put up with these same guys every single day and it is all in fun. Although it did irk me that Al said that.

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
Vegas is NOT ugly he has a very distinctive face and he's a great looking bully! He doesn't blend in he stands out! I would've reacted the same way because no one bad mouths my babies...grrrrr~! We love Vegas! Great job mom!!

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Not inappropriate! Especially if its a sports bar regular. They love the razzing and it's why they go back (as someone else said)...as for 'joe at the end of the bar' well maybe he shouldn't be in a bar, b/c that's the way it is. I'm an administrative assistant/receptionist (before that a customer service rep) in an office setting and I would have still had a response like that to anyone that would have said that to me. Customer or not, you shouldn't say rude things to people unless you expect it back. Don't dish it if you can't take it!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
When is ANYTHING inappropriate in a bar environment?????????

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Common sense is like deodorant... those that need it the most don't use it often enough. Does your manager smell funny?

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
No you weren't nasty. Not like you cussed him out and told him to go "frak" himself for calling Vegas ugly. Maybe your boss needs to find other things to do that listen in on conversations.

Your boss being a newbie in the bar should have just kept his mouth closed. He is not used to the banter that you share with your regulars. If the customer had taken offense and gotten nasty or spoken to him about it, then it would have justified speaking to you. In my opinion, he should have minded his beeswax and let you do you. That is a sports bar not a tea room and those are your regulars.

Last edited:

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Quincy, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
You are nicer than I am. I would have said "Guess that explains why your mom loved you" or something like that. Actually my mother says that same thing to Herschel all the time but with just a little twist... "Oh Herschel! That's a face only a mother could love! AND A GRANDMOTHER!! Come here and get a cookie!" Hahaha.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
People often say stuff like that when they meet my dogs. Mostly old men. I think it's because they can't think of anything more clever.

I was a bartender for about ten years and when you add alcohol, LOTS of things change. It's a bartender's job to the one stable, unflappable influence in the place.

For the record, what you said was funny. And Joe took it like he was supposed to; you were joshing with him. That's your job to josh with the customers. I think your boss is too serious and I think you also took it too seriously in the beginning. Not everyone is going to think Vegas is a stud. Most won't, in fact. That's the marvelous thing about our pups!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online