Traveling with new puppy

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Hi all ... need some advice. We are getting Seamus in about a month when he is 12 weeks old. He will be done with all his shots minus his rabies shots. Since it is the middle of the summer we have some trips planned and are planning on bringing him with us. One of the trips will be 2.5 weeks after we get him, we are planning on going down to the lake for a long weekend with some friends. Any advice as to how to make this work with a 14 week old puppy? We will obviously get a life jacket since we will be close to the water. Just want to make sure we are doing the right thing when we travel with him. Obviously we are getting a new puppy and want to incorporate him into our life style so we just want to make sure we go about doing it in the right manner. Thanks!

Here are some new pics of Seamus. He is just around 6 weeks old outside playing with his brothers and sisters.

Seamus 6 weeks.jpgSeamus 6 weeks 5.jpgSeamus 6 weeks 4.jpgSeamus 6 weeks 3.jpgSeamus 6 weeks 2.jpgSeamus 6 weeks - whole fam.jpg

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well that's kinda young to be traveling with a young pup. It can be done just a lot of work. He will not be house trained, so you will need a crate. I hope the camper you have has A/C in it as he can not stay out in the heat all day long. Bullies can die in the sun even if it's 70 deg. outside. Take plenty of towels, cloth and paper, toys, and plenty of water. Make sure the pup gets plenty of sleep during the day, because he is still a baby and needs plenty of rest. I my self would not take a pup that young on a camping trip, but if it's only for the weekend and you have an air conditioned place for him to stay with some quiet during the day it might be OK. He is a very cute little pup and you want the best for him. Please keep us posted on his progress and with pics.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
The biggest thing to enter my mind is will his series of vaccinations be done? It's not safe to even go to a public park until the final shots are done. I'd be very cautious around a lake where wildlife and domesticated animals congregate. He sure is precious! :D

OP
ccurran

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Thanks for the feed back! Yes his vaccinations will be done by the time we get him. We'll be taking him for a full check up with our vet the day after we get him and I will double check with her to make sure its safe to travel with him. We won't be camping ... rather renting a house on the lake, which has air conditioning and is private so there won't be other dogs around. Not 100% sure we are going but just wanted to check and see what people on the forum thought before we booked the house.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Thanks for the feed back! Yes his vaccinations will be done by the time we get him. We'll be taking him for a full check up with our vet the day after we get him and I will double check with her to make sure its safe to travel with him. We won't be camping ... rather renting a house on the lake, which has air conditioning and is private so there won't be other dogs around. Not 100% sure we are going but just wanted to check and see what people on the forum thought before we booked the house.

Well....then I think it sounds wonderful!

Most Reactions