ROUGH Morning For Brembo

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
Brembo had a rough morning. My girlfriend took him out to pee earlier than normal. He didn't poop. Then he came back inside and tried to poop while she was prepping his breakfast. Luckily she caught him in the act and was able to get him outside. I got up soon thereafter and made sure to bring him outside to do his post-eating pee/poop. While he did pee a little, he threw up (for the first time since I've had him) most of his meal. I'm not sure what went wrong. I usually handle his morning routine but because my girlfriend was up early, she agreed to take care of it. I also give him 2 pumps of Salmon oil in his breakfast, and she forgot to do this.

I sprayed ant spray all over the inside and outside of the house and while I don't think Brembo licked any of it, I am wondering if maybe that could have been the cause of the throw up.

He also has some little scabs/bumps near his tail that appear to take some hair with them when rubbed off. I am not sure if this is allergies, his food, or a different problem. I called the vet and am awaiting a response, but in the meantime I am going to try some Witch Hazel (recommended) and see how he does with his regular eating routine. He's been just peachy for the past week and a half, so I am crossing my fingers in hopes it was just an episode.

Training him has been difficult to say the least. I have to keep reminding myself that when I read these dog books, they are meant to be applicable to ALL dogs, not English Bulldogs. Brembo can sit on command, but this is the week that I am working on 'down' and getting him to walk next to me on the leash. He had his first session at puppy class and they taught us to lead him around the yard on a leash with a treat in hand. We've been trying to practice but often Brembo gets distracted and will just lay down and roll over in the grass and try to eat it. It's cute, but frustrating lol.

Any tips or suggestions on the throwing up or the bumps around his tail? The breeder was feeding him Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy, but since we brought him home we've been weaning him off that and onto Fromm Beef Frittata.

My poor boy =(. He seems happy though!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
the throwing up could be he just ate too quickly? Does he have any pallet issues that the vet noticed? My pups randomly throw up here or there and I dont worry so long as it isnt bile or isnt more than a one time thing. I would think if bug spray was the cause he would have been really throwing up not spitting up food. As for the bumps I am not sure on that one. I dont think they can have allergies at such a young age but could be wrong. I was told by my skin kids dr that it takes 1 year for babies to develop allergies so I would think it takes time with pups as well.

OP
ajwhitt44

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
Good to note regarding the allergies Cali~Jen, thanks. Guess it's something to cross of the list.

No pallet issues that the vet noticed, so i am praying it was a one time thing.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I agree with eating too quick! If you have something like a ball or somthing you can put in the food bowl to make him eat slower! As far as the allergies usually they dont show up until after 1 year but sometimes it can! I would continue with the food switch and see how things go. I doubt its the ant spray but you never know! We dont use any of that stuff since getting Brutus bc he eats everything! :) Good Luck

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Maybe just eating too fast then I would think. Just keep an eye on him and make sure he doesnt continue with the next feeding. If it keeps up you can get a slow feeder bowl to help.

linda4568

Aug 7, 2010
Eagle River, Ak
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, Biggy, Pickles, Deebo, Hoss
Although the salmon oil is a wonderful thing for our bullies, it can be very hard on their tummies too. I have a bully who has a very sensitive tummy and I was giving him the salmon oil for his coat and he started throwing up cause the oil was to much. Maybe try taking away the oil for a while.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Or every other day on the salmon oil - I go a couple of days because his food also has some in it.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I go with the eating too fast. Especially since you didn't watch him eat. I suggest a slow feed bowl or like I got..a slow feed ball. jake would gulp down his food so quickly, he would throw up almost immediately. After we got the ball, it has stopped him 100%! On the salmon oil, I've not use it..but I think at his young age..less of everything is better. I would not use the salmon oil for a few months. Then go slow hen you add it in..looking for any signs of allergy.

Hang in there with the training. Eventually he'll wear you down and you can give up like the rest of us! :ROFL: :ROFL:

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Training him has been difficult to say the least. I have to keep reminding myself that when I read these dog books, they are meant to be applicable to ALL dogs, not English Bulldogs. Brembo can sit on command, but this is the week that I am working on 'down' and getting him to walk next to me on the leash. He had his first session at puppy class and they taught us to lead him around the yard on a leash with a treat in hand. We've been trying to practice but often Brembo gets distracted and will just lay down and roll over in the grass and try to eat it. It's cute, but frustrating lol.

I don't know much about the vomiting, etc, but I totally feel you on training! The biting has been driving me insane with Shug. She can sit, sometimes she will do "down", but for the most part she still gets distracted easily when it comes to training. She just bites like crazy sometimes, but she is learning.

We did go on our first walk on Friday and she fought the leash off and on. I used to treats to get her going; I let her sniff it, walked a few steps, and called her to me on the leash. After a couple of times she started following me decently, so I gave her treats and lots of praise. When we were able to walk Saturday, she did VERY well though. At first she bit at the leash, but once we got going she was happy. Whenever she acted up I gave her a gentle tug on the leash and "tssst" noise we use. She does fine when she is walking, but it is when we are stopped that she acts up. She's doing very well though on walking. Just keep it up! Once you get him to walk, he will love it and do fine.

With Aubrey, we taught her on the leash in the kitchen. We hooked her to the leash, walked to the end of it, gently tugged and told her to come. When she got to us, she got a treat. When she did well with that, we were able walk her on the leash. It kind of helped teach her "come" and to get used to the leash.

Good luck!!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I too hope it's just eating too quick. Unfortunately it does occasionally happen, but as bully owners we over-analyze our babies and freak out!!!

OP
ajwhitt44

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
Thanks everyone. I went home from work during lunch to feed him and while he did have a mini-poop accident immediately after eating ( I was able to catch him in the act), he did not throw up.

Regarding Salmon Oil and puppies --- This morning he did NOT eat the Salmon Oil (my girlfriend forgot to give it to him), so not sure if this was the problem. Based on your suggestions, however, maybe I'll slow down to 1 pump every other day.

The tricks are really difficult. The walking on the leash is difficult. Teaching him to 'come' on command has been difficult. Our vet asked that we not walk him or take him to any parks until he is 4-5months.... This will allow his immune system to fully develop and will keep him from being at risk for Parvo or anything else that's on the sidewalk from other dogs walking around. Luckily I have a backyard with which to practice everything on!

Thanks for all the comments so far, I will continue to update with any relevant progress or setbacks.

LoveMyBully82

Aug 30, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
The bumps/scabs near his tail sound kind of like when Jackson had hives from his allergies. They started off as bumps and would end up as little scabs that would take hair out with them. Benedryl helped and also changing his food to grain-free seemed to help. We also started to bathe him in oatmeal shampoo (Petsmart Brand) and give him fish oil capsules and his skin did much better.

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
He will get the hang of it. Luckily, we have a short private drive (its a small loop between our houses) that we share with my grandparents to walk her around. Any practice is good for Brembo, so a yard is better than nothing!

Keep us posted!

OP
ajwhitt44

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
Well he regurgitated again last night. He was barking in his crate while my g/f and I were eating, then all goes quiet and I realize he's eating his own puke! Gross.

Anyway, we felt really bad --- the vomit appeared to be whole pieces of food, so it looks like he's not even chewing it!

I picked up a slow feeder bowl from petsmart and am hoping that helps to curb the episodes. Otherwise it may be a different problem altogether.

Regarding the scabs near his tail - the vet suggested using AAA Antibiotic ointment such as bacitracin or neosporin. It looks a little better today but we're hoping the ointment will get rid of it in a couple days. If not, i'll be updating you guys!

Thanks for the comments and wishes.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well he regurgitated again last night. He was barking in his crate while my g/f and I were eating, then all goes quiet and I realize he's eating his own puke! Gross.

Anyway, we felt really bad --- the vomit appeared to be whole pieces of food, so it looks like he's not even chewing it!

I picked up a slow feeder bowl from petsmart and am hoping that helps to curb the episodes. Otherwise it may be a different problem altogether.

Regarding the scabs near his tail - the vet suggested using AAA Antibiotic ointment such as bacitracin or neosporin. It looks a little better today but we're hoping the ointment will get rid of it in a couple days. If not, i'll be updating you guys!

Thanks for the comments and wishes.

How is the boy doing??

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.