cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
This morning I went to the So Cal Bulldog Rescue adoption meet and greet. I have been thinking for some time now about adopting a bully. Every time i look at the SCBR facebook page and see a bulldog who needs a home, my heart strings are tugged. Lately, even more so, especially when i read the stories and background information on these precious critters.

Anyways, i've pretty much only shared this w/ a couple friends including [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION]. I'm not sure if i can handle having a 3rd bulldog. It's a scary thing actually. I need to think about the time and dedication, about Tate and Finn and the different dynamics once a new dog is introduced, of course the financial responsibility, and basically, can i do this?!

Today was a day to meet these beautiful, loving bullys as well as to meet the volunteers and the foster parents, and to ask questions. I met about 4 or 5 bulldogs and just wanted to take every one of them home with me! It was really cool to see so many other people out there too who are seriously wanting to adopt one of these guys.

I'm not in a rush or anything...this will take time for me to think it over carefully, but I just wanted to share.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I'm so glad you went Henny. Three dogs is a handful but very manageable like we've talked about. The right one could be a blessing, like Emma is for Jack. Jack no longer picks on Wilson and he plays so different with her. Sure my house is dustier and they go through more food and well, there's less bed room, lol, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Before we got Emma, Mike told me I was CRAZY for wanting another. I know you'll put a lot of thought in it as you already have and that if you do decide to rescue a bully that it'll be the right fit for you, Tate & Finn.

So tell us more about what they do as a rescue meet & greet? Inquiring minds wanna know. :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
There won't be many that can live with other bulldogs, the rescues have to be very careful about placement. I would love to offer a suggestion though! Perhaps if you foster for them, then you know you are doing a good thing for a bulldog in need, and who knows maybe you will then become a foster failure? (by falling in love with the bully you foster and officially adopting them)

With your experience with bully's I think you would make a great foster mom. Then you can see how it goes, and the best part is you can get really involved in the rescue.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Jeannie, they have these meet and greets once a month, mainly for people who have filled out an application to adopt and usually have already gone thru a home inspection (tho not always). I filled my app out last year and also had a home visit done but that was before I got Finn and before I moved, so that will need to be repeated. I just went into this area where there are volunteers who each have an adoptable bully with him/her, and talked to them and met the bully. There were folks there who also brought a pet they already had to meet their potential bulldog, along with the volunteer, to get to know one another.

Lisa, i have thought of fostering a bulldog as well. That is something i would consider doing. Each bulldog today had either a green, yellow, or red bandanna on. The green meant they are good w/other pets, the yellow meant "maybe" okay w/other pets, the red meant the bulldog would not be placed in a home w/other pets. I was talking to the foster mom of Buddy, a sweetheart whose owner dropped him off at the vets to be euthanized since he could not breed anymore; the vet called SCBR who then picked up Buddy right away. He is a gorgeous, loving dog and I could just picture him at home w/us. He lives in the same city as I do too which was neat. His foster mom said he would be ready to be adopted in the next couple wks b/c his skin infection has not yet entirely cleared up. But again, it's just too soon for me; but there were many who were interested in him so i just know he will find the right parent.

It was really a very worthwhile and informative morning spent there and i hope to do it again soon.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree with Lisa [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] and try fostering. This will let you know if you want three plus will be giving a bully a home until they are adopted out. Plus like she said you may fall in love with the one you foster and if it's not a good match then they can be adopted. It is a good feeling fostering one and help finding them a good fur-ever home.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Having 3 is a lot to take on so it should be something you are certain about! Lisa had a good idea about fostering! That is a good option to see how it works out for you! Either way I know you will do what is right for you and the boys! Good Luck with everything

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Let me know if you are serious about adopting or fostering for them, I am in contact with them and I am sure I can give you a good reference!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Awwww Henny! I'm very happy you are considering adopting. I fell in love work Becky Lou from SCBR but no way would my Dena Dog accept another female and probably not my hubby:ROFL: I too think fostering would be a great way to dip your toes in the bully pond! Whatever you decide..I know you will be a success!!!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
aw thats great you are considering another bully and are really taking the time to make sure its what you want and can be done in the right way. i think if you think you may want to do that fostering is a great idea. im sure it will be fine whatever you decide.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I tell you, if I had the room and resources, this place would be crawling with them. :yes: I'm at my dog limit here in my complex but before Bo came home, I considered trying to be a foster failure. hee hee

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.