Am I a terrible Mommy?

Howardsmom

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Howard
Hi there. I haven't posted much recently - been crazy around here with the kids getting out of school and all the end of school year festivities. Howard is getting so big. He is around 39 pounds at 5 months old and still a total cuddle bug. However he had developed a persistent cherry eye in one of his eyes. He also has mild entropion. Since we were going to get him neutered anyway they just decided to do everything at once (the entropion they might not have treated yet by itself but since he was going under anesthesia anyway I want to prevent him having to have additional surgeries down the road). Thank goodness for pet insurance!

Well we are going on a family road trip/vacation next weekend for about a week. Originally we were going to bring Howard with us, but we had to make some last minute plans which would require us to be out of the hotel pretty much all day and I'd hate to leave Howard for that long. So we've decided to board him at our vets which we have used plenty of times with our other dog. They think its a good idea to go ahead and do his surgery when we drop him off. My husband agrees. That way he will be at the vets the whole time he is under post op care and when he has the cone head thing. They can handle all of the eye drops and keep an eye on any complications. They said it would probably be an easier recovery for him because he would get more rest than he would at home, which is probably true. They also said since he is an English and everybody loves them that he'd get tons of extra attention (I know my shar pug is always spoiled there). I agree with all of that, but I've never left him before. What if I leave him and then he has this surgery and is in pain and I'm not there. He won't understand! So torn. Doing it this way would certainly be the easiest route for us, but is it the best? Will Howard still love Mommy when we get home? Oh and here are some recent pics!

IMG_9335.jpgIMG_8985.jpg

Thanks!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Well that setup sounds better. I assume they would administer pain meds at least the first day. Surely you can call and check on his condition. You've prior experience with boarding your other dog and it seems a positive experience, correct? Terrible mommies don't worry this much so NO I don't think you are terrible. I wouldn't feel comfortable with leaving him in a hotel either. I'm certain he will still love you :luv: Have a great vacation! Oh! More pics please...

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I think it's a great idea, and he should get some good care and lots of pampering there. At least he will be in good hands and you can go on your trip and not worry as much. Definitely better than a kennel.

GRACIE11

Feb 11, 2012
Fairbank, Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie Mae "The Diva"
I know it will be hard...but I think that is your best plan:yes: Go enjoy yourself and best wishes for Howard:heart:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I too think it is a good idea and you don't have to be the bad guy with that cone and all as much. yes find out if they have 24 hour care. If not, a tech might offer to stay at night that first night or so for a price. When cutty had his acl surgery the tech stayed the night with him for an extra 150. Well worth it for peace of mind.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
Howardsmom

Howardsmom

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Howard
Oh I like the idea about getting a tech to stay overnight! I'm going to call probably everyday to check on him lol. But thanks for making me feel better :-)

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Thats a good idea! He will get great post op care and you can enjoy your trip! :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I think it is great for everyone involved. Of course you will miss out of some major bonding time (I always feel more bonding when doing care for a bully) BUT let me tell you there have been times that I wished I had someone who had experience there to make sure my baby was okay. It will be a good thing!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He will do best at the vet with all the TLC and extra attention....... it is ALWAYS hard to leave them even when they are in the best health

OP
Howardsmom

Howardsmom

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Howard
Just wanted to let you all know that we did do the surgery and Howard was boarded during the vacation. He did great. I called every few days and they always said that he was super friendly, eating and happy. Plus they did all the post op eye ointment treatments and the doctor checked on him regularly. When I went to pick him up he ran right to me and jumped off the ground (1st time I've ever seen him do that lol). He obviously hadn't forgotten me like I worried about. He's done great ever since we got him home and his eye is healing nicely. Thanks for all the support!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online