Is he bulldog standard?

BIJAH

May 28, 2012
San Jose CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ari Gold
Hi, a friend of mine is looking into a puppy and we visited a breeder. The breeder showed us the sire and the dam, as well as a offspring from the first litter. Here is a picture of its offspring. His nose does not seem to be too recessed as compared to other bulldogs ive seen. The breeder's Sire and Dam are AKC registered. As I have read "The nose should be large, broad and black, being set well back between the eyes. The distance from the stop (the large groove between the eyes) and the tip of the nose should not exceed the distance from the tip of the nose to the edge of under lip. Having the nose set well back enabled the Bulldog to hold its grip and still be able to breathe through its nose. The nostril’s should neither be pinched or overly flared. Brown or liver noses are a disqualification in the ring." This is him at 2 years of age

Attachments

• 540389_370229143017311_1959249898_n.jpg
    540389_370229143017311_1959249898_n.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 201
  • 555215_370231476350411_82209586_n.jpg
    555215_370231476350411_82209586_n.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Looks Bully to me from what I can see in those pix.

OP
BIJAH

BIJAH

May 28, 2012
San Jose CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ari Gold
So he will eventually look like this? Or is just that his look?
4694327035_062be2d657.jpg

I

ImAGuinneyPig

Best indicator of what the pup will look like is what the sire and dam look like.

Just because the parents are AKC registered, does not mean that they meet the breed standard. If they have been shown in the ring, and have won, then that is a good indicator that they meet the breed standard.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
The breed standard is over-rated. LOL Kidding. I have one that is absolutely the breed standard and one that isn't. They are both awesome dogs! Each with their own personality and little quirks (understatement). If you are concerned about this breeder - find another one that breeds a look that you desire. If you want to see a perfect specimin of show dog, take a look at [MENTION=3281]BiggieSmalls[/MENTION] pup. He's a champion and you will quickly see why when you look at him. If you plan on showing the dog - this is probably what you're wanting.

If not - who cares? Roll with a breeder than breeds for HEALTH and TEMPERAMENT first and you'll have an awesome dog regardless of the "look"! :bully:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well he is a nice looking pup and it's hard to tell from the pics, but from the pic his eyes are a little high and his ears are a little low, but it could be the angel of the pic. If you are not going to show him it doesn't matter. he is a handsome boy and is a very pretty color.

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
[MENTION=3281]BiggieSmalls[/MENTION] has a champion gorgeous showdog . I have a disqualified brown nose dog that otherwise is growing to be a perfect standard of the breed.. I love him dearly.. My female's parents are Both more of the breed standard the father looks a lot like Biggie and Katara is leaner, with a smaller head and a little longer muzzle..I would say health and temperament are the first things to look at as well a socialization but if you want a showdog there are a lot of good breeders out there that breed AKC standard dogs and pointed/champions. Me, I just want squishy faces to kiss and pets that will play dress up with my girls..

Kassie

May 15, 2012
Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus McGee
his 'longer' nose (which btw looks ok to me) will help with his breathing...so to me he is a perfect bully. The smushy'er noses aren't always healthy =[

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
And a lot of show type bulldogs look very different from each other and are still standard. I've showed my Usko a couple of times. He is no champion(yet, maybe), but he has beaten a few champions in all of the shows. Judges, like normal humans prefer different things, all within the breed standard.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.