Finally Picked up BREMBO.... So is this what having kids is like?!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
This is just the worst video I have seen in a long time. He is totally out of control ... throwing himself around. I fear he is going to hurt himself and in the process do immense damage to all of your belongings. I think the best course of action is to send him to Ohio immediately to save you both from a life sentence of bully-servitude. I fear however that I may be too late .... **sigh**

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
...or you can send him to Fontana. BabyGirl needs a new boy-toy.

fd10d426.jpg

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh wow he is adorable. so cute in the video. im no help with puppies as sarah was one when i got her but you have already gotten good advice and your doing well on your own.

Totoro

Apr 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Little Abby
What we do for Abby is super easy and we've only had her 2 weeks give or take. She doesnt even use a crate anymore.
Right at 6am she goes out to pee real quick. Then she'll come in and eat/drink. After that I go ahead and take her out and we run around the yard and she follows me while I do chores. I found out that if you get them running/moving, they'll poop faster. She'll end up going 3-4 times whiles we're out and pee3-4 times too. After that hard work we go in and she goes right to sleep in her cozy cave for 3-4 hours. Then its right back out again.

In the middle of the day we'll play with her inside while its hot, but after about 15 minutes of hard playing she goes out to pee/poop-then right back to sleep usually.

She gets her last meal right before 7, and around 7 we all go out and run/play since its cool out. She'll pee/poop 3-4 more times and when we go in around 8 she'll drink and then sleep all night.

As for the biting, I use a loud and firm 'NO' and then hand her a toy. Sometimes I do a quick spray of water in her face for good measure. I want it cut out quick. It seems to work so far, but she still does get overexcited sometimes. I might even get one of those spraying collars with the remote so I can get to her every single time she does it. I have kids though..so I want that bahavior gone asap. You just have to be consistent with it.

Hope that helps some..good luck with him.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Oh he is absolutely adorable! Congratulations on your fur baby! Sounds like you guys are doing a great job so far. Can't wait to see more pictures and videos of your adorable Brembo!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Brembo is adorable. Completely adorable. Love that masked face!

You've got some great advice here. All I can add is be consistent. Dogs like and respond to a schedule. Pretty soon, he'll know that it's gonna be potty time so he'll hold it because he knows its coming. Patience and time, is all it takes. (Oh and a good cleaning agent like Nature's Miracle for those accidents!) He's gonna be a big boy before long....enjoy this stage while you can. It goes far too fast. *sniff*

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
This is just the worst video I have seen in a long time. He is totally out of control ... throwing himself around. I fear he is going to hurt himself and in the process do immense damage to all of your belongings. I think the best course of action is to send him to Ohio immediately to save you both from a life sentence of bully-servitude. I fear however that I may be too late .... **sigh**

:ROFL:

OP
ajwhitt44

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
Oh my,

he is absolutely gorgeous and what I see from the video also a handful:D you're all so lucky!
We had a crate and a playpen around it. For the first 2 months it seems like you're taking him out all the time, day and night, but the more you se trouble in this stage the shorter time it takes.
Really nice bed you have found for him....

Definitely feels that way, but I think he's learning! HAHA thanks regarding the bed! It's made of such a tough, durable material but right now it's sooo slippery for him and either He or His toy falls off it LOL. Just needs to break it in a little better...:laugh:

OH MY GOSH! So cute! I could watch that video all day! Congrats!

Thanks so much! I LOVE taking videos.

Just want to say he's a doll. He's got so much energy and he looks super happy!

Thanks Fontana. I think the energy factor is a good thing. I want to start taking him for walks so he stays active. Yea, he really seems to love me and my girlfriend and is really happy.

So cute! He looks like a BIG boy lol. How heavy is he? Tonka was about 22 lbs at 13 weeks. Now at 17 weeks he's 32ish :p

Hey hey, thanks. I actually don't know how heavy he is yet. He has a vet appointment tomorrow so I'll get a nice overview of everything that's going on with him. He feels around 20lbs at 13weeks. Maybe similar to Tonka (who is beautiful by the way).

That is a handsome little guy. Great photos and videos and congrats on your new puppy.

Thanks watson! I'll look forward to sharing more.

Adorable! The biting is a stage, but you can redirect his biting fom feet/hands to toys.

Very good to know, I have been redirecting to Nylabones and soft rubber chew toys.

I feel you on the chewing. Shug is driving me nuts! Sometimes she listens when you tell her no, other times she tests us. It depends on how wired she is. I am having trouble keeping calm and assertive with her crazy butt! And she is only 10 weeks... I don't look forward to the doggy "terrible twos".

YES YES YES!! Wait what are the terrible twos? Brembo moves his butt all over the place, he's crazy. I try to re-focus him by asking him to sit. But then he sits and has trouble staying. All the books I've read say to practice 1 trick a week, but I want to move to Sit-Stay because he just won't stay!!

As for crate training, I take Shug out A LOT. When she comes out of her crate. After she eats. A little while after she drinks. After she's played a little while. After a nap. Before going in her crate. At 2:30am, then at 6:00am when I get up. I really just watch her. The more you pay attention, the more you pick up their little signs that they might need to go. Shug will either sniff a lot, start running around with her nose to the floor and not paying attention to toys, or she gets cranky and tries to lay down but can't sit still. Whenever in doubt, take him out!

Yeah, this is a great example. I'm starting to sense the signs. I've been taking him out like clockwork when he comes out of the crate, and I think he's really getting it (even though it's only been 2.5 days).

Oh and I forgot...

HE IS ADORABULL!!! :heart:

adoraBULL!! LOL thanks.

Brembo is adorable! So glad you guys are finally together!

I really can't believe it's real!!

OH MY ,,,, that video was adorable. he is so sweet!

as for potty... you use those times you listed as guidelines and until you get him on the schedule you want try to have outdoor time be potty time so he learns potty first -- then play, otherwise you are out there for a long time.

That's a good idea. Sometimes I take him out and he follows me to his poop spot and I give him his instruction ("ok Brembo, POOP STANCE"), and he just rolls over for me to pet his belly LOL. I usually counter this by walking away so he's forced to get up and move around more, and this usually prompts some type of pee or poop.

I should practice just waiting for him to go, but I want him to go on command.

OP
ajwhitt44

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO

Haha I know he's OUT OF CONTROL!! :cursing::cursing::cursing: What do I do?! I should ship him off ASAP, I don't need ANY of this in my life.

...or you can send him to Fontana. BabyGirl needs a new boy-toy.

fd10d426.jpg

ROFL :laugh: I think they would make a VERY cute couple. Fontana is georgeous.

oh wow he is adorable. so cute in the video. im no help with puppies as sarah was one when i got her but you have already gotten good advice and your doing well on your own.

THanks for the reply, regardless. I really enjoy the sense of community here!

What we do for Abby is super easy and we've only had her 2 weeks give or take. She doesnt even use a crate anymore.
Right at 6am she goes out to pee real quick. Then she'll come in and eat/drink. After that I go ahead and take her out and we run around the yard and she follows me while I do chores. I found out that if you get them running/moving, they'll poop faster. She'll end up going 3-4 times whiles we're out and pee3-4 times too. After that hard work we go in and she goes right to sleep in her cozy cave for 3-4 hours. Then its right back out again.

In the middle of the day we'll play with her inside while its hot, but after about 15 minutes of hard playing she goes out to pee/poop-then right back to sleep usually.

She gets her last meal right before 7, and around 7 we all go out and run/play since its cool out. She'll pee/poop 3-4 more times and when we go in around 8 she'll drink and then sleep all night.

As for the biting, I use a loud and firm 'NO' and then hand her a toy. Sometimes I do a quick spray of water in her face for good measure. I want it cut out quick. It seems to work so far, but she still does get overexcited sometimes. I might even get one of those spraying collars with the remote so I can get to her every single time she does it. I have kids though..so I want that bahavior gone asap. You just have to be consistent with it.

Hope that helps some..good luck with him.

So many good things you said in this message. I think the main takeaway is consistency, like the others have been saying. You have Abby down to a routine, and it seems like she's gotten the hang of it. And I KNOW she loves her Cozy Cave. I still havn't gotten one for Brembo because I am PIMPING out his crate and he LOVES it.

Also good advice regarding the chewing, I am feeling much better now about having difficulty controlling it....It's a stage and should be treated as such. The biting should be redirected to toys and eventually they will (or should) grow out of it.

Oh he is absolutely adorable! Congratulations on your fur baby! Sounds like you guys are doing a great job so far. Can't wait to see more pictures and videos of your adorable Brembo!

Thanks so much Biogirl, I will be taking more than everyone can handle, so I'm sure you'll get sick of seeing his masked face!

Brembo is adorable. Completely adorable. Love that masked face!

You've got some great advice here. All I can add is be consistent. Dogs like and respond to a schedule. Pretty soon, he'll know that it's gonna be potty time so he'll hold it because he knows its coming. Patience and time, is all it takes. (Oh and a good cleaning agent like Nature's Miracle for those accidents!) He's gonna be a big boy before long....enjoy this stage while you can. It goes far too fast. *sniff*

Nooo how much longer do I have him like this? I feel like he's already gotten bigger in the 2.5 days I've had him.

And +1 on the Nature's miracle. I just purchased it yesterday so if any accidents happen in the house I can eliminate any reminisce of it.

Now I have another couple questions:

Walks

I am going to start taking him on walks soon. He wears a collar just fine, and I walked him one house up and one house back with it this morning and he didn't pull or tug, he calmly walked right next to me. I know as he gets more comfortable it will be more difficult.
  • Question: How long before you started letting your Bullies out of your yard and started walking them?

Cat

My girlfriend has a cat, a Bombay named 'Pudding'. Pudding is a hunter to say the least. Sheloves to play, can be tempermental, and frankly I think she may try to murder Brembo. I mean she's the sweetest thing she is, but she likes to play with her claws sometimes. I put soft toys in her arms whenever she flails her claws, but I am terrified of her swiping Brembo.

Brembo on the other hand, should be fine with cats. The breeder we got him from had many cats, so I don't think this will be a big challenge for him. I am kind of worried about interrupting his training / potty schedules by introducing another living animal, but I am hoping we can do it slowly but surely.

We've started the introduction process by keeping them in separate rooms. As the house is brand new to everyone involved (me, my girlfriend, brembo and pudding), the cat has been pretty content being locked in our master bedroom. The articles state to keep them in separate rooms to allow the different smells of each animal permeate throughout the air.

We just moved one of Brembos crate towels into the bedroom for pudding to get used to. I think tonight we are going to try to introduce them, supervised. It will probably be at least a month of supervised interaction before they are used to eachother.
  • Question: Has anyone had an experience introducing their new bulldog to a resident cat? Do you have any advice, or do you think my plan is a good one?

Strangers

I'll put it bluntly - Brembo seems to like females more than males. He definitely seems to take to my girlfriend a little more than me, probably because she does the girlfriend high-pitched voice thing whenever she talks to him :ROFL: Anyway, any time a stranger comes to the house, I have him give Brembo a treat. Brembo got real scared yesterday as a guy accidentally tripped over him; Even though the guy had given him a treat AND picked him up before, Brembo ran and hid after he got stepped on. Took some real coaxing to get him to come out by my girlfriend (I was at work).

Last night I had my Dad come over and I asked him to give him a treat. Brembo seemed VERY reluctant to take a treat from him, and was very calm and reserved while my dad was there (as opposed to being high energy and bounding around like normal). It may be also important to note that my dad is black (I am half black/white so my skin is a little lighter than his). I am not sure if the skin color or the gender is throwing Brembo into a more conservative mood.
  • Question: Do you also instruct strangers to give commands and treats to your dog. This seems like a good way to positively reinforce unfamiliar people.

Socialization

I want Brembo to meet other dogs. I have signed up for puppy classes, but this does not start until Saturday. I think it's important for him to meet and experience as many new things as possible at this young age.
  • Question: When can I take Brembo to meet my friends' dogs? He's had his 2nd round of shots so I am guessing it's okay
  • Question: When can I have my friends' dogs come over to Brembos house? I want Brembo to get used to sharing toys with dogs in his space.

Hope you guys can give some advice on some of these questions. Thanks so much for all the help you've given me so far. :p

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston

haha Kazzy220 my thoughts exactly....Maine is waiting Brembo:giggle:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
No more help to add but I think I love him! My gawd what a handsome boy you have there. LOVE his round belly!

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Oh yes, congtrats! He's adorable. Yes, that IS exactly what it is like having kids. My son is turing 18 next week and I now have Otis (4.5 mo old) I feel I have a baby all over again and you know what, I do!

He gives me a run for my money with his biting and constant observation but I am loving every minute of it - my heart has longed for him since I can remember and now that he is here back to square one I go, out with the old and in with the new...jk

Enjoy that sweet rolly polly boy!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
"I've been reading a lot and have read that the absolute best thing to do is just to keep his mouth stimulated with treats, food, and toys. So i'll continue to do this unless anyone has any other suggestions."

Don't 'reward' him for biting using food/treats. Distracting him with toys is great. It lets him know that the toys are ok to chew but not you. Exagerate that it hurts when he bites you as well.

He is adorabull!!!!! :luv:

OP
ajwhitt44

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
"I've been reading a lot and have read that the absolute best thing to do is just to keep his mouth stimulated with treats, food, and toys. So i'll continue to do this unless anyone has any other suggestions."

Don't 'reward' him for biting using food/treats. Distracting him with toys is great. It lets him know that the toys are ok to chew but not you. Exagerate that it hurts when he bites you as well.

He is adorabull!!!!! :luv:

Thanks, Bruce. I shouldn't have been so vague.... I only will give him his Nylabone or a chew toy, NEVER a treat that I would use for training.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.