UH-OH.....what to do....

Tobs31

May 16, 2012
Boca Raton, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Sullivan (my angel), Hank, and Ted
So Ted has been with us for a little over a week now and things are getting a little hairy. First let me start by saying my 11 month old, Hank, is a VERY quiet boy...he love attention but he is very shy...he is a big mush ball and loves to be loved. For a while I was bringing Hank to work, my boss is in love with him, then a girl at work said she was allergic to him so I had to leave him home. It broke my heart that he had to stay by himself all day so that is basically why I decided to get another dog. I thought Hank would be thrilled but he really isn't....he likes to play with Ted but I find Ted to be really aggressive. I don't know if it is just a "puppy" thing that, as I teach him, he will grow out of or he is just an aggressive dog. Ted bites Hank for no reason and half the time Hank is trying to find a place to hide. Ted is very aggressive with the toys and it has gotten to where Hank will just give Ted the toy he is playing with so he doesn't get "beat up" by him. Ted is a bully to say the least. I don't know if Hank was happier by himself now. I don't really want to have an aggressive dog that I won't be able to handle and for sure do NOT want anyone to get hurt.....:begging:......CONFUSED!!!!!!

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
aww don't give up so soon! do you kennel them when you're at work? consider 2 kennels side by side each with their toys for when you are away. also to help them to play together put a tug of war toy between their kennels and they'll play together without being able to get at eachother. Now when you're around and can supervise the kennels come in handy when they get too rough.

Karly is the rowdy one in my bunch so when she won't stop torturing Nigel and I see he's had enough then it's "nap time" and off to their kennels they go.

Hope everything gets situated for the better.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I wish I could help you on that but I only have Otis. Although I do agree with Nigelsmom's comment - best of luck to you all.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I agree, give it some time. How old is Ted? It can take months to fully get acclimated to the household so be patient and make sure Ted knows who is in charge, you. If he gets carried away, submit and get him to calm down. Miila is my wild and crazy girl. Got her last September at 1 year old and she is so wild and monster like with Mugsy and Cutty. Now Cutty can handle his own, Mugsy stays clear unless he is frisky enough to play with her. When she gets carried away I just make her "take a break" and that usually calms her down. Sometimes I have to tell her a few times before she really hears me. Just assume the pack leader role and the rest will slowly fall into place. Eventually. I got Miila cuz I didnt want my 2 pups who were the same age to end up alone if 1 passed which eventually will happen and be just awful. Figure 3 is safe cuz there will always be 2. I too thought I ruined my boys life by getting Miila and felt so much guilt and emotion over the process which was long with her BUT it paid off and she is now a full member of the family/pack.

OP
Tobs31

Tobs31

May 16, 2012
Boca Raton, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks guys! Guess I just needed a little pep talk. Ted is 3 months old so he is very feisty.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Ted is still full of pup and needs guidance, just be patient and let him know when he is getting too rough with a time out. he will settle down some when he gets older and will learn from you.

OP
Tobs31

Tobs31

May 16, 2012
Boca Raton, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Is crate time a good time out? I was so spoiled with Hank that I don't know how to handle this puppy situation

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I would try not to use the crate as time out if possible. The crate needs to be their comfort zone and a place to go that they like. Now it is fine to seperate, them if Ted misbehaves. Maybe Hank gets to stay on the couch, but Ted has to get off... Sounds like Ted might have alpha tendencies, so you need to make sure he knows you are the Alpha, not him. You go in and out the door first, you eat before they/ he does, even if it is just a bite of something. You feed them, but they do not eat before you give the command. Hank made life easy because he is so easy going, but Ted is different just like children can be and it is up to you the parent and make the rules. Once you take the lead, it will get easier and your guys will probably become good buddies. Good luck and remember Ted is just a baby but will learn quickly with consistency and repetition. Enjoy! More pictures, too :)

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
[MENTION=4918]Tobs31[/MENTION], your Ted sounds so much like my Finn when I brought him home at 4 months. Tate just loved Finn at the beginning but Finn was quite shy and introverted at first. Then, as time went on it was obvious that Finn was the aggressive one b/c he would "bully" Tate and pick fights with him. Now fast forward about 11 months: still the occasional fight but Tate has managed to hold his ground and will not let Finn bully him. Finn seems a lot more well adjusted and loves playing w/his big brother.

Like others have said, it WILL take time and patience. Hang in there. I also took both dogs to a behaviorist for some private lessons which i feel helped somewhat. And, i do use the crate for Finn's time out. He seems to love the crate in the first place so for him, when i send him there, it's his sanctuary and a place he can just chill in til he cools off, and it helps me cool off when he's in there too!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
What worked for us when miila was getting to the point where she was out of control I just put her in a spot on the floor and have her sit/stay. At first I had to submit and get her to know I meant it but once she got that she learned to stay until I let her up. Hand feeding her made a huge diff also. Practice his tricks with each bite, a handful at a time then you can just sort of start meals that way as a reminder that you are still in charge after. When Miila was bad she would go back a step to full hand feeding. Eventually.... now she is perfect as far as wanting to bully. I almost gave up on her, thank gawd I didnt! Took over 6 months to get it right I would say. Hang in there and dont second guess yourself. Kinda like with kids you have to set the rules, if you let them get away with it once you have set yourself back in the training.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would try not to use the crate as time out if possible. The crate needs to be their comfort zone and a place to go that they like. Now it is fine to seperate, them if Ted misbehaves. Maybe Hank gets to stay on the couch, but Ted has to get off... Sounds like Ted might have alpha tendencies, so you need to make sure he knows you are the Alpha, not him. You go in and out the door first, you eat before they/ he does, even if it is just a bite of something. You feed them, but they do not eat before you give the command. Hank made life easy because he is so easy going, but Ted is different just like children can be and it is up to you the parent and make the rules. Once you take the lead, it will get easier and your guys will probably become good buddies. Good luck and remember Ted is just a baby but will learn quickly with consistency and repetition. Enjoy! More pictures, too :)

GREAT advice!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.