Herschel's Week (including his introduction to Fromm!)

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Quincy, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
Another fantastic week with Herschel has passed and I thought I would just give you all an update on both of us.

Every morning we have been up at 0530 to go for our walk. I live in a small town and I am just amazed at how many people are out walking at that time. The ages range from 20's to 80's and it has been a fantastic way to meet my neighbors. Also, Herschel has become quite the little ham and somewhat of a celebrity. Everyone says hello and good morning to him, sometimes completely forgetting the gal on the other end of the leash (ie. me hahaha). He is SO good on the leash.

I got him a nice new harness and he still hasn't quite accepted it. He walks much better with his collar. He doesn't pull either way, but he looks so nice in the harness lol. He is getting better with it so I figure it will just take some time.

Herschel has completely bonded with Sam the cat. They cuddle and play... even share food. Also, Sam knocked down Herschel's treats and they ate them all. I have no doubt in my mind that this was an intention joint effort.

On Friday Herschel had his stitches out from his neutering. Everything has healed nicely and he is in great health. To me he still looks a little thin at the waist but the vet and others assure me he is just fine... a little lean but in the healthy range. I am just a worrywart sometimes!

Saturday we went to the Gadsden County Humane Society's monthly dog wash to raise money. They also had a cook-out celebrating their 15th anniversary. One lady was sure Herschel hadn't been neutered but I assured her he had. His manly bits are not nearly the size they used to be. :laugh: He had a blast with the other dogs and I actually joined and will be helping out volunteering. Yay!

We spent the rest of Saturday with my parents and he has completely impressed them. He is sooooo well behaved. I am so amazed at how well he has adjusted.

Oh! I meant to tell you all that I had planned on transitioning Herschel slowly to Fromm's in hopes that his poop would go from soft serve to normal but he was just refusing to eat the old food at all. I mean he would literally ignore it until I think the hunger just got too much. So, I put the Fromm's in a bowl and was going to mix his old in like everyone says, but he dove in and devoured it. He LOVES it... and, the next night his movement was perfect! I'm not kidding... he must have been empty and the change was unbelievable! I am soooooo happy!

Today we plan to run over to my parents' and eat dinner. He loves visiting his gramma and grampa! I am SO lucky to have him in my life!:heart::heart::heart::heart:

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Sounds like a fantastic week! That is great he is healing so well from his surgery and is doing well on Fromm!

And we noticed that once we got Frank and started taking him places or walking with him, he gets waaaaaay more attention than any other dog we have ever had and we become invisible as well! :lol:

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
wow. That does sound like a great week!

I love walking Abby. I put her on the leash and she instantly transforms into "THE MAYOR". She has to stop by every single person walking by. If they don't immediately stop to pet her she grumbles at them until they do. LOL must be a bulldog thing, Roxy never did anything like that.

OP
Danielle

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
wow. That does sound like a great week!

I love walking Abby. I put her on the leash and she instantly transforms into "THE MAYOR". She has to stop by every single person walking by. If they don't immediately stop to pet her she grumbles at them until they do. LOL must be a bulldog thing, Roxy never did anything like that.

Herschel will stop and watch someone approach and just wait for the attention. He expects it and he gets it.

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
Great week so happy to hear you are bonding well with your baby boy! Nigel prefers the collar too and he loves the attention he gets when out and about as well. Our babies are so unique!

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
Hey, can I ask how much you pay for Fromme ? I am in Canada using Fromm Four Start Beef Frittatta and its $100 a large bag. My dogs hot spot on his chest (which he had for over a year) cleared up with 3 days of switching to Fromme (he had been on other "premium" brands before). So I don't want to take him off of it, its just killing me to pay that much, and thought if its better in the states I could drive there and pick some up (I am a couple hours from the New York State border).

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Hey, can I ask how much you pay for Fromme ? I am in Canada using Fromm Four Start Beef Frittatta and its $100 a large bag. My dogs hot spot on his chest (which he had for over a year) cleared up with 3 days of switching to Fromme (he had been on other "premium" brands before). So I don't want to take him off of it, its just killing me to pay that much, and thought if its better in the states I could drive there and pick some up (I am a couple hours from the New York State border).

I've paid ~ $65 for the 26 lbs bag in the past.

OP
Danielle

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona

I got the 5.4 kg bag for 34.99 USD I think it was. It was the only size the place had at the time.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I use 28lbs Fromm Beef and pay 69.99 at a local pet shop! Go to their website and see who carries it in the area you need

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
[MENTION=4809]Danielle[/MENTION] Sounds like you and Herschel are having an awesome time. I'd like to request more Sam and Herschel pics!!!

[MENTION=3990]gracoliv[/MENTION] I'm in Montreal, and I think the last 12 lbs bag of Fromm I bought was around $60. Annoyingly expensive, but oh so worth it!!! :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So glad you had a great week and sounds like Herschel is doing great. There is nothing like owning a bully. So glad he is doing well on the FROMM too. When we rescued Cash, he did the same thing, he would not eat his old food and only the FROMM, so we just gave it to him and he never had a problem with it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online