Water?

Deevod

May 30, 2012
Idaho
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
So, we are taking our new pup to the Oregon coast with us in about a month. We have heard by many people to not let them near or in any water until they are done with their shots. Is there any truth to that? We would not let her swim or anything, but maybe let her get her paws wet... tia!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
They have NO immune system until they are 4 months old..provided you are on time with the shots. I wouldn't even take her and put her on the ground anywhere outside of her own space. Parvo can remain active on the ground for a long long time. You do not want to risk letting Lola catch anything, so until then....keep her in a bubble.

I should add...this can easily be tracked into your home by shoes. So...bubble, bubble, bubble.

cut and paste......

Parvovirus is resistant to extremes of temperature (i.e., it survives freezing and extreme heat) and is unharmed by detergents, alcohol, and common disinfectants. Direct transmission occurs when an infected dog comes in contact with a healthy dog. The virus is found in heavy concentration in the infected dog’s stool. Because dogs will usually sniff where another dog has eliminated, this fecal-oral transmission is the most common method of transmission. The virus particles can be easily spread by hands, shoes, clothing, or other inanimate objects—this is an indirect source of transmission

Last edited:

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
My vet has had a couple of cases of Parvo in his practice so I know it's out there. So be extra careful. :nervous:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
So, we are taking our new pup to the Oregon coast with us in about a month. We have heard by many people to not let them near or in any water until they are done with their shots. Is there any truth to that? We would not let her swim or anything, but maybe let her get her paws wet... tia!

I'd be tempted to let the baby play in the surf myself - but the Parvo risk is real. Sneak her onto a beach where no dogs are allowed. :yes:

Totoro

Apr 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Little Abby
hmmm...I think the question is how old is he and is he current on shots

OP
Deevod

Deevod

May 30, 2012
Idaho
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Now I am afraid of Parvo. :/ I guess it is something to be afraid of.

Lola will be 12 weeks when we go.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
put her in bubble wrap and let her play to hearts content :yes:

OP
Deevod

Deevod

May 30, 2012
Idaho
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
put her in bubble wrap and let her play to hearts content :yes:

Ohhhh! That is a good idea! Then, if she gets caught in a puddle she would float! Win win!

Hahah! I think I will just keep her away from the beach unless we carry her :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.