cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I think I have to take my Bulldog 101 class again b/c this early evening I did the most irresponsible thing. I took Tate and Finn on a walk when the temp outside was still in the mid-upper 70's and the sun was still bright, w/out bringing water for them, AND, i went a long route that was sloping uphill.

I knew by the time we were heading back home that Tate was especially spent. He was panting so hard and so fast and when we crossed a park, he just lay there on the grass, not wanting to get up. Finn was panting hard too but he was able to keep walking. Luckily, we were only about 1 block away from home at this point and I was just kicking myself for risking the health of both my boys w/my over-zealous need to get some exercise!

When we finally got home, i got both of them big bowls of water with crushed ice and put a cold cloth on their necks and backs. I kept apologizing to them for my carelessness.
I also put their cooling vests in the fridge in preparation for future outings. Thankfully, they are both okay and I now know better and will not make this mistake again.

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
aww i'm so glad they're ok I know how you feel I wish I could do more outings with my babies but here in Houston it's too humid blah! I don't even go outdoors in summer not until fall and winter....so you know i'm just anxiously waiting.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
I only walk my bulldogs at night and I have to keep a close eye on their panting. BabyGirl can maybe do 3/4 mile and Wilson 1 mile round trip. They just won't drink any water I bring so I just have to be more aware of their body language or tongue language and they can take as many breaks as they wish. My Frenchton is the only one I can probably walk for a minimum of two miles without a sweat. I mean Louie without a sweat of course, me...buckets.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Sometimes we all need to go back to Bulldog 101 classes. Glad they're ok Henny! I always always take a bottled water on our walks, even if it's cool outside. They drink it throughout our walk right out of the bottle. Wilson can go about .8 of a mile and by the time we get to the last 5 houses on the way back it's a 20 minute walk just getting home as he moves so everly slow. Emma is much different and will be able to go on quite longer walks than Wilson.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Dont be so hard on yourself momma! We all need a refresher course sometimes! I have a water bottle that is like a shoulder bag so your hands are free while walking( I need 2 hands for my 2 rugrats) Lol Glad all is well :)

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Oh Henny, dont beat yourself up so much over it. It was an accident and you fixed it. Hugs to you. You take wonderful care of your babies

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Yes we all need reminding sometimes. 70 should be fine but then you figure the humidity can play a role too, plus if they are already maybe tired that day? You are a great mama!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So glad it turned out OK, don't be so hard on yourself, your a good bully mama.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
You guys r too kind! Thanks. When they look at me with those big eyes and squishy faces, trusting their lives with me, I just hate it when I let them down or give them discomfort . With hot weather just around the corner, I'm going to be extra , extra careful.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Everyone is ok and you just reminded everyone of the dangers bulldog's face in the outdoor elements. Newbie's beware.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
The good thing is that they are both okay and that you immediately cooled them down. Plus it is sometimes good to get a reminder of how warmer weather can affect them so easily, which we all need. I am not used to so much humidity now we are living in Iowa and had Frank out on a warmer day but wasn't too bad...except the humidity was horrible and as soon as we got outside Frank starting panting like crazy, so I quickly hosed him off so he was cooler while he did his business, then got him inside quick and his cool collar on him. It is good to get these reminders early in the season so we are extra vigilant the rest of the summer!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.