Bug Season!

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Well bug season is upon us. I know there was a thread talking about what everyone uses for flea and tick control but what about things like biting flies/gnats. Does anyone have any good remedy for when your dogs go camping to keep the pests away from them (besides put them in a bubble! :)) In the past we have used an equine spray and it has been somewhat effective....and smells like a citronella candle!

I would love to hear any hollistic remedies for pests around dogs. We use lemon juice/water spray to keep away fleas and ticks but it has never worked against the biting flies!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well I have nothing but hopefully some of the peeps that go camping will share what they do. [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION]

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
There is a dog bug repellant that you can use (I don't know the name of it though). Those biting flies are horrible and about immune to anything it seems. Do you go to Lake McCoughney? They're BAD there. Ace used to get so tormented by them. We'll use a bit of off and spray it on our hands lighty and give the fur kids a light wipe. Don't use too much of it though. The candles won't do squat against those flies. I'd check the pet stores, online or the vet. I'll check with mine for you this Saturday when I take Emma and Wilson. I don't know of anything holistic though, sorry.

Totoro

Apr 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Little Abby
I use Avons skin so soft bath oil for the kids, horses, and dog. It smells nice too and even repels gnats.
Jeffers sells a fly collar and fly armor makes collars for dogs and halter inserts for horses. Havent tried that though..but I want to. I rub the skin so soft into abbys fur all the time. It really does work. My husband hates it though.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=4740]Totoro[/MENTION] - that was my grandmother's remedy for everything "bug". Worked great! We don't have the bugs up here that she did in Eastern Oregon and I remember many happy days as a kid smelling like Avon's SkinSoSoft.

Totoro

Apr 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Little Abby
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] I dont have a relationship with either of my grandmothers, but recently learned that one use to send this stuff to my uncle in the marines. Soon after that all his friends there were begging her to send it to them. She would send tons of this stuff to those guys, they loved it.

I got mine ordered and was really shocked when it was just bath oil...it couldnt possibly be the same thing..it wont work.
Boy I was wrong! I really do use it on everyone, haha. When we go out and Abby poop I just spray it on her butt and the gnats stay away.
I have biting flies here too and we havent got bit this year.

[MENTION=3756]MamaAndi[/MENTION] you should try it. if it doesnt work for you at least you have something that you can use either in the shower, tan with (guilty of!), or rub your bully down for a good smellin. Thats why I love it instead of bug sprays...no chemicals..just good smells.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=4740]Totoro[/MENTION] - that stuff is magical, I tell ya. My grandmother would be proud right now.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
[MENTION=4740]Totoro[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] - you both convinced me and I just ordered some off Amazon. The gnats are driving us all crazy! Thanks for the suggestion.

Totoro

Apr 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Little Abby
[MENTION=1462]Biogirl71[/MENTION] Yay for bug free bullies! :lmao:

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Oh man...I totally forgot about SkinSoSoft! My mom used to spray us with that stuff before we went outside to play! LOL

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Skin so soft... we mix it with water and place in a spray bottle

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Hey thanks for reminding me of the skin-so-soft.....I'd forgotten how great it works!

Totoro

Apr 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Little Abby
Skin-so-soft makes actual bug repellants now too. They have a thing going now where you get a whole variety of them and a tote for $50 and it comes with some anti itch stuff too. I ordered it since my husband doesnt like the oil feeling. Hopefully it doesnt smell chemical-ly (word?). It had sprays and lotions..and I believe the lotions were also sunscreen which Im going to use on the dogs and kids faces if its gentle..
found out with the oil put on our faces we all got sunburn real quick!

Yes, even poor little Abby! Now I know why her face has been red....LOL.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Wow never thought to use that! I use K-9 Advantix for both of mine...I hear mixed things about it though! Maybe time to give this a try ?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online