need some advice please.....

Tracey

Sep 25, 2010
Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
MooShi and Owen
Ive been a member for while now but do not post much,just enjoy reading everyone elses and getting great tips and advice.So here is the story ,sorry if its long.We just got our first rescue, his name is Ralphie ,he's 7 yrs old not nuetered.He was a friend of my husbands cousins.The owner could no longer care for him because of living conditions.Has been bounced around from plcae to place through out his 7yrs.So, of course they came to me knowing what a sucker I am for bullies:bully:.Needless to say I went picked him up last nite after 9pm when I left work.They say he is utd on shots ,but hes under weight . He is big luv muffin. Heres the problem , MooShi is hating him. He does not seem aggressive until she keeps going at him barking . They are not togeher I keep 1 in crate then swith them out. How do i get them used to each w out any fights ? I am scared to death of that . I sooo whant to keep him we are already in :heart: after one nite, he such a good boy. MooShi is soooo jealous and I dont whant him to go after her when we r with her either ,he is very atention starved. Some advice from anyone , everyone please. ps When we were not sure if we would take him the only shelter that could said because of his age they would give him 3 days and if he was not addopted they would put him down.OHHH hell no!!!

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
I had a similar situation when we adopted our frenchie Diva. Gio loved her but she was not liking him. Baby gates are life savers!! We blocked off one of the downstairs rooms, this way when one of them was in one room, the other could see what was going on but not be next to each other. It took them about two weeks but after Diva started to love Gio, it's so funny now because they are inseparable! Just be sure to stop any fights and let them know that it's not okay to do that, and keep them separated with gates until they are used to each other, each day allow a little more time they are allowed to play with each other. Good luck and give it time, I was worried too at first with mine but they will be friends soon!

OP
Tracey

Tracey

Sep 25, 2010
Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
MooShi and Owen
Thanks for advice. Its scary to chance a fight ,Im just so unsure what the other will do .I will stick it out though, gonna get his nuggets clipped soon too.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I would separate them for now and give them individual attention. Punkin was from my bf's friend's friend too, and Stiggy didn't like him at first. Punkin was such an angel, it was Stig who was curious and wanted to test his limits. We put a baby gate up so they're in separate sides of the floor when we're not home. I think we did this for the first week or so. And when we were home, we'd watch them profusely when they're together. As the days went by, we tried to show them that they're both loved equally by giving them hugs, kisses, and playing with them together. Walk them together as well. Maybe even try to make them play tug-of-war together with a toy. Eventually we let our guards down and let them sort out their issues, and to our amazement, that's when they started to roughhouse with each other. We were so happy to see their big smiles after, and to watch Punkin, the one who was the only dog all his life and wasn't socialized much, figure out that playing is fun.

So hang on there, go with your instincts and at the same time, give them some room to figure things out. G'luck!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yes keep them separated for know and it helps to walk them together. You take one and get someone else to walk the other and walk side by side and if they try to start something you can keep them apart. The walks will help, keep them short at first. Plus thank you for taking him in and giving a good home. Hope they startt to like each other soon, it just takes patients and consistency.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I was gonna say what David has already said, take them on walks together. find out how well he walks on the leash first. It's a pack thing when you all walk together. Pictures please :yes:

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Agree with all of the above. Walks together are important. I would also try just putting leashes on both while they are in the house with someone else helping. As Caesar says..calm assertive. Display calm energy when they ate together and stay relaxed. They pick up on our anxiety. If its not aggressive barking, just uncertainty..I'd let them work it out. If you have a fenced in yard, I would keeping leashes on them and see if being outdoors help them get to know each other. Sometimes being in your house will make them more protective. Just my 2 cents

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
How awesome! Absolutely what David said..walking together is the doggie way to bond...we rescued many street doggies over the years and rarely had a problem with the whole crew meshing! My hubby even brought home a pregnant Rottie from the streets of L.A...she was our toughest one to assimilate..but it only took her a few weeks and all fell into place. We kept her on a leash in the house at ALL times. If there was even the lightest twinge..we corrected her immediately. We kept her close to us and made sure she felt like part of the family..since we knew little of her life experiences..we just treated her like a new pup. Never show fear...and DEMAND respect! That especially goes to your Mooshi too! All for one and one for all! You will do great...and I hope you ..like us....know the love of a rescue is like no other...fills your heart to the brim! :clap:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Great info here!

Mooshi will get used to the new boy. In spite of the pity you feel for Mooshi, having to share you now, you can't let him get away with unacceptable behavior either. You must disagree with it and be consistent about it. What's unacceptable one day cannot be OK the next day because you're feeling sorry for Mooshi.

The pack leader doesn't play favorites. Everyone gets the SAME attention, food, treats, walks, etc.

Congrats on your new Baby. By the way, that picture of Mooshi is adorable. I love piebald bullies!~:heart:

OP
Tracey

Tracey

Sep 25, 2010
Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
MooShi and Owen
Thank you all for your advice.We are keepin them separate for now and will do the walks and outside stuffs . Will keep ya updated.He is such a good boy . Was a little nervous first nite but already last nite slept in bed w my daughter and this mourning did his first excited bullie wiggle to the side lol (I know u all no what Im talkin about) . I understand it will take time and I am 100% willin to do the work, they are so worth it .We just want him to spend the rest of his life treated like he deserves to be.Thank you all again new I could count on u guys. Ps will post pics soon so you can see how I fatten his skinny little but up lol.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You've gotten great advice.... you are a wonderful person and I hope things begin to get better for you and your pack

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Thank you for taking him in and giving him the love he deserves...You have gotten great advice already just want to wish you all the best! :)

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I love older bullies! It will be so worth the efforts when MooShi and Ralphie start to love eachother! :)

We have always done fast and furious introductions here. We take everybody into the backyard on leashes and let em go. Rarely is there a scuffle. Usually lots of sniffing and running around. Sometimes when there is a new pooch that hasn't been around others they will bark or growl when someone else comes up to check them out. But the leashes are always there so we can grab everybody and separate if necessary. Then they just kind of fall into line from there.

I love your avatar of MooShi...can't wait to see pics of Ralphie! :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online