Sick at the Dog Park

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
Hey guys! I'd love to get your thoughts on this... I'm not entirely sure what happened.

The weather is nice today, only about 65F and overcast, so taking advantage of the cooler weather Rook and I went for a walk and stopped at the dog park. It had been a while since we had been there, and as soon as it came into view Rook started really pulling on the leash as if we couldn't get there fast enough (he wears a harness on walks). Everything was fine when we walked in, two dogs came over to greet him... one a little more aggressive than necessary in my opinion, but Rook is a lover not a fighter, so he laid down to submit to the dog and that was that. When Rook got up, he coughed, but then he went over to sniff some other dogs and seemed to be okay. He started coughing more, and then coughed up some white foam and a little bit of kibble (he had eaten 2 hours earlier). This was all within a minute or two of entering the dog park. I separated him from the other dogs, and he continued to cough. A woman brought over a bowl of water, but Rook (being a spoiled pup) wouldn't drink it - he did drink from my water bottle. Rook still wanted to play with the other dogs, but he kept coughing and occasionally hacking up some more foam, so I decided we needed to leave.

As soon as we exited the gate, he was fine - stopped coughing. He kept trying to turn me around and pull me back to the dog park, so I picked him up and carried him a ways until it was out of sight and we could continue our walk home. All the way home he was completely normal - not a single cough or any indication that he wasn't feeling well. He even tried to steal lettuce off the sidewalk from someone's garbage and found a stick to carry home.

Any ideas on what might have caused this? Do you think he was just too excited? He was wearing his harness and we have never had any problems with him wearing it, but do you think that could have choked him in some way when he pulled to get to the park?

He's acting completely fine, so I don't think it was anything serious. But if there is something I can do or change to make sure we don't have a repeat of this, I'd love to get your ideas!
Thanks everyone!!!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
My brothers boston terrier does this a lot when he is very excited running with my 2 and my moms 2 dogs...

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
It sounds like excitement from what you've described...did he pick up anything in his mouth that could have gotten stuck in his throat that made him cough? I ask because my Schultz usually doesn't bother with stuff on the ground until another dog is around and then he hankers for a piece of stick or an oak tree helicopter and those things don't go down the pipe so good...hence a good coughing session.....but I wouldn't worry too much if he went back to normal so quickly.....

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Sometimes when Bre used to get a little over excited or drank too fast she would hack up some white foamy stuff. I think it's just a bulldogs unfortunatly reaction to excitement or too much jostling about

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sounds like just excited like everyone has said, Buddy has hacked up some white foam before on occasion if he has been playing outside. He doesn't do it very often. Coarse we don't play outside when it's hot out.

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I also think it was just too much excitement. We had about 14 family members over this past weekend to celebrate my son's graduation. This was Tank's first experience with so many visitors all at once. He was well behaved but overly stimulated. Dinner time came while everyone was still here. We fed him as usual, but half way through his meal, he started throwing up/ hacking up thick white foam and his kibble, but was just fine after things calmed down. I suggest a return trip soon and see if he has the same reaction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
LaurenA

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
Thanks everyone!
It's supposed to be rainy for the next couple of days, but if it's still cool when it clears up we'll try the park again, hopefully with better results!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Next time, bring him to the park when there are no other dogs there. And see what happens. I'll bet it was from being anxious/over-excited. Maybe without the distraction of other dogs, Rook can sniff about and familiarize himself with the surroundings. This may help for his next WITH dogs visit.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online