Caviar of antlers?

Totoro

Apr 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Little Abby
Our pup doesn't have any interest in nylabones. We haven't tried any antlers yet. Do your bulldogs like them?

Is there a difference between deer antlers and moose antlers? I see on some websites they say they are "the caviar of antlers". :lol:

SO how bout it, who's tried the moose antlers.....and are they worth all the hype?

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
i think elk antlers last longer so if you have a power chewer you should go for the elk antler. For a puppy I would go with deer antler since it will be cheaper. I give my big guy elk antlers and he goes through an extra large one in a week.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
we;ve had both deer and elk and the elk do last longer. but lola has hers for about a month :) before its non-existent

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Watson is a power chewer and good thing he only chews on stuff that he is allowed to. One more thing the elk antler will have more marrow in the center and I found this out the hard way...it will stain the carpet if he/she chews on it on the the carpet

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
I have at least four deer antlers on the floor at all times. Never tried elk or moose though.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Do NOT buy the Antlers split down the Middle - (cut in half lengthwise) Gizmo has had Elk (split down middle from pet store, mess and SHARP edges) and she tore it up, I then got a set of deer (White Tail) she chewed that up - the Moose she is sorta indifferent about - I'll stick to the deer/Elk

go extra large / jumbo I like ..antler chews.com he has a big selection, and he is about 1/2 the price of not less than other sites, and about 1/4 of the petstore price.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tobs31

May 16, 2012
Boca Raton, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Sullivan (my angel), Hank, and Ted
What does everyone thing of the hooves? The guy at the pet store suggested them as they can't get pieces off. He also suggested the antlers

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
What's your thoughts on harvested antlers? We have about 4 racks from previous hunting trips.

Secondly, Kain loves them never chewed anything as much as the antler.

Last question, how small do you let them get before removing? He swallowed a bully bone so now scared of them getting to small.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
One more question... I gave him the antler again, do there eyes water at all with regular chewing?

Not trying to hijack the thread just informative info on the subject posted :)

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
What's your thoughts on harvested antlers? We have about 4 racks from previous hunting trips.

Last question, how small do you let them get before removing? He swallowed a bully bone so now scared of them getting to small.

I'm not expert, but if you are a hunter, and you harvested deer and you have antlers, they should be fine.
People in general are worried about animals being killed 'just for their antlers' that is why its important to look for 'Shed' Antlers when you purchase - but as in a difference between shed and non shed - I dont think their is a difference.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake

I haven't noticed watery eyes with chewing..couldit be environmental? Jake gets Benadryl and it has helped immensely with watery eyes!

Just grind down all the points and sharp edges.

Checkout Grateful Shed....for great prices...also Yellowstone antlers.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.