Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
oh,oh, don't forget nail trimmers

he's a lucky dog, Good Bully mom

Nah. Forget them. It's much funner to go to the beauty shop for a mani-pedi! Stress free!

*elbows Sherry* I know. I'm a lazy bad mama. ha ha ha

I love your list. Are you a Virgo [MENTION=4822]ajwhitt44[/MENTION] ? I think we're related. ha ha

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
#1 thing to add to list!!! :photo:

Don't forget to grab the camera before heading to the breeders!!!!

I

ImAGuinneyPig

You know it's funny that you mentioned the harness. My breeder was indifferent, the obedience class recommended against it, some vets were for it, some against --- it seems like everyone has an opinion and it revolves around bullies having delicate and small trachea. I really want to start with the collar, but if I notice any type of excitability or aggressiveness that causes him to pull, I'll use a harness until I'm able to correct the behavior further.

Also regarding the puppy pads... Is it typical for people to stop using them around 13wks. I thought it would be good to have at least for the first week, as that's when the accidents would be most likely to happen. Note that I wouldn't put the puppy pad out unless I had to leave the puppy in the pen for an extended amount of time, which won't happen.

Thanks so much to everyone for all the comments and suggestions!!!!

Not only is the danger to their breathing, but due to the flatness of their face/front of their skull, their eyes can actually pop out of their head because of it's "shallowness".
Our obedience trainer had one of his students who owns a Pug, and kept using a collar despite our trainer's advice otherwise. That owner ended up bringing that Pug into the e-vet holding his dog's eyeball in his hand.
Now of course this is not or does not happen to every brachycephalic dog. But the danger is there. I just personally don't understand why people take the risk. But again, just me personally I would not use a collar.

As for the pee pads, we did not even get them. We started house training the day we brought her home. Yes, there was some accidents in the house. And your little boy will have accidents too :) But giving him somewhere in the house that is "ok" to relieve himself just contradicts house training. Again, this is from my experience and my opinion.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I have to disagree with ImAGuinneyPig about the use of a collar. When a bulldog has a normal bullie trachea, with no problems (he/she is never going to have one like a husky), it's OK to use a collar and TRAIN the dog not to pull. Harnesses are for pulling. Not all brachycephalic dog have that problem with the eyes popping out. We have always used a wide 1,8 inch collar with no problems. It's different is the bullie has some issues with trachea, but not all of them have that.

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
That... is going to be one happy baby bully! :yes: Congrats on the new addition!!

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
You forgot 2 very important things>>>>BENADRYL and ChlorHex spray and shampoo for any itching or allergy hives!

I'm so excited for you and Brembo! Can't wait to see more pics!

OP
ajwhitt44

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
I love your list. Are you a Virgo @ajwhitt44 ? I think we're related. ha ha

Haha actually I am a Sagittarius which pretty much goes against all the preparation I've made!!

How many more days now????? :D:D:D

LOL Bruce, I think we're in negative numbers now because he's HOME!!

You forgot 2 very important things>>>>BENADRYL and ChlorHex spray and shampoo for any itching or allergy hives!

I'm so excited for you and Brembo! Can't wait to see more pics!

Wow thanks for this info! Will get those items asap! I'd hate for him to get hives but I guess it's better to be prepared than 'hope' it doesn't happen.

TO EVERYONE ELSE.......Thanks so much for the comments and wishes!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
WOW... looks like you got it all covered and then some... How is the little one doing so far?

I

ImAGuinneyPig

We'll have to agree to respectfully disagree.

Regardless of the fact that "a bulldog has a normal bullie trachea", it does not make them any less a brachycephalic breed. It just means the difference between a well bred Bully, or a poorly bred Bully.
Well aware that harnesses were designed for pulling. But just like you would train a dog not to pull on a leash, you train them not to pull on a harness. I for one would also not use a leash and collar on a toy breed.
And yes, all brachycephalic breeds with what are considered "bulging eyes" (which Bulldogs are) can in fact have their eyes pop out if the right amount of pressure is applied. As I said earlier, just because it CAN happen, does not mean that it WILL or WILL NOT occur in the future.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online