2 More Days!!! Can't Wait Any Longer!!! - THIS is my shopping list

DinoRoyale

Aug 4, 2011
Red Wing
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus
Ah the wait! Yep I was there and remember smiling as I was rushing through the multiple pet supply stores and scavenging things like I was on a fill your cart game show. It's exciting and you will have a blast. Imaguinneypig made a great point about the pads. When they are that young, they need to go out at least every two hours. Just be ready to take em out to do their thing. They learn by repetition. Wish you the best of luck, it sounds like you're off to a great start!

OP
ajwhitt44

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
Well DAD!! That was a pretty rude thing to say. But you can make it up to us by posting pictures. Lots and Lots of Pictures :D

I'm kidding by the way... about the rudeness! not the pictures lol I love your list. Wish I'd had half that stuff when I brought Abby home (and I thought I was prepared! :eek:)

Haha I was confused for a second... I'm a nice person lol! But yeah, I like taking pictures and videos, so this will be a fun time for me!

Also instead of using all those treats, you can simply feed him frozen green beans. Oh and a kiddie pool. You'll want to get 1 of those. Congratulations!!!!

I keep hearing greenbeans! And also fruits, which boggled me (an animal that likes fruit?). Kiddie pool is being added to the list. I looked around Craigslist but no bites yet.

I would however add that you'll need a harness. Bulldogs should be on a leash and harness, NOT a collar. On account of being brachycephalic, collars can be quite dangerous for them.

Also, I'd nix the puppy pads. At 13 weeks he should be learning to go outside. Letting him go on pee pads in the house only serve to prolong house training. It confuses them by thinking they can relieve themselves in the house. It's ok for really young pups who can't yet go outside, but not for a puppy who is being house trained. Just my thoughts :)

Very excited for you to pick up your boy!!! Can't wait to see some pics of his homecoming!

You know it's funny that you mentioned the harness. My breeder was indifferent, the obedience class recommended against it, some vets were for it, some against --- it seems like everyone has an opinion and it revolves around bullies having delicate and small trachea. I really want to start with the collar, but if I notice any type of excitability or aggressiveness that causes him to pull, I'll use a harness until I'm able to correct the behavior further.

Also regarding the puppy pads... Is it typical for people to stop using them around 13wks. I thought it would be good to have at least for the first week, as that's when the accidents would be most likely to happen. Note that I wouldn't put the puppy pad out unless I had to leave the puppy in the pen for an extended amount of time, which won't happen.

Thanks so much to everyone for all the comments and suggestions!!!!

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Sounds like a great list and one lucky bully! Have fun! Tonka loves green beans and all fruits and veggies I have tried so far. My dad actually tried to give him a piece of chicken jerky that his own dogs (golden and border collie) eat ( bad grandpa!) and he wouldn't take it! But the broccoli he was all over! Also, my boyfriend LOVES the name Brembo! Probably because those are the type of brakes he has on his Subaru lol.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Life Preserver!!!!!! I don't see life preserver on your list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl: :laugh:

Totoro

Apr 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Little Abby
619.jpg

Abby says you need a Kozy Cave. :ROFL:

I konw I bought alot of stuff before we got her and I wished I had held off on some of it. I was set on the kong toys and nylabones....
but the truth is mine doesnt even like them. Maybe she will in the future..hopefully...I've got quite a few nylabones.

Her favorite toys right now are the plush Kyjen toys, like the hide a squirrel and squeaker mats....
Oh..and the JUMBO SPIDER they make is a definate MUST! :lol:

OH and I was going to go the training pad route also...but then after a few days I gave up and decided to just take her out more. I wanted her to know how to do both so that she could go in her xpen if we had to be away for the whole day. Turns out the first day we left her in her xpen she didnt even use the bathroom in there at all and we took her right outside when we got home. :yes:

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
jameson thought wee wee pads were a play toy. i put one out...he shredded it...that was the last one i put out. i have never heard a vet recommend a collar for a bulldog...all around here say harness..breeders all say harnesses.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Best deal I've found on Antler Chews

http://antlerchews.com/ :) you get about 3 for the price of 1 at other places !

OP
ajwhitt44

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
Life Preserver!!!!!! I don't see life preserver on your list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl: :laugh:

HAHA!! I'm gonna stick with the kiddie pool for now and hope he doesn't try to pull a houdini on me and try to hold his breath. I think the life vests are great!!

Abby says you need a Kozy Cave. :ROFL:

but the truth is mine doesnt even like them. Maybe she will in the future..hopefully...I've got quite a few nylabones.

Her favorite toys right now are the plush Kyjen toys, like the hide a squirrel and squeaker mats....
Oh..and the JUMBO SPIDER they make is a definate MUST! :lol:

OH and I was going to go the training pad route also...but then after a few days I gave up and decided to just take her out more. I wanted her to know how to do both so that she could go in her xpen if we had to be away for the whole day. Turns out the first day we left her in her xpen she didnt even use the bathroom in there at all and we took her right outside when we got home. :yes:

I think I saw you post that cave before! It's really nice and comfy looking!! Where did you get your X-pen?
I'm going to check out some of the toys you mentioned. I'm looking forward to shopping for more toy-like toys (not bones or kongs) once I have him, as I think it will be more fun. I too am a little worried he won't like the Nylabones or kongs.

Thanks for supporting what others said about the puppy pads. I am ready to do my diligence and take him out every couple hours and 15min after he eats/drinks!!

jameson thought wee wee pads were a play toy. i put one out...he shredded it...that was the last one i put out. i have never heard a vet recommend a collar for a bulldog...all around here say harness..breeders all say harnesses.

Hahahahah shredded the puppy pad?! What a little monster!
Regarding the collar/harness... I know that's what I was trying to say, I've done my research and asked around, bully owners, non bully owners -- all have varying opinions, which leads me to believe so long as I am super careful, I can try training him properly on a collar first. I fully intend on getting a harness as well.

Best deal I've found on Antler Chews

http://antlerchews.com/ :) you get about 3 for the price of 1 at other places !

Thanks for this!! I knew they were expensive but this looks like a great deal!

Sounds like a great list and one lucky bully! Have fun! Tonka loves green beans and all fruits and veggies I have tried so far. My dad actually tried to give him a piece of chicken jerky that his own dogs (golden and border collie) eat ( bad grandpa!) and he wouldn't take it! But the broccoli he was all over! Also, my boyfriend LOVES the name Brembo! Probably because those are the type of brakes he has on his Subaru lol.

Thanks again --- I bet my mom wish I liked veggies as much as Tonka at that age LOL.
And the name actually DOES relate to the brakes. I'm a car guy and they are by far my favorite brakes.
Tell your boyfriend I had a Subaru too -- an STi, probably like his (they come with Brembos). I got rid of it a couple years ago to get an M3, I wanted rear wheel drive =)

ANYWAY, again thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I knew I didn't have everything I would possibly need, so I'm very grateful to have you guys shedding some light on things I may not have thought of.

T-MINUS 1.5 days!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I would just get the cheap plastic pools. Our pups go thru 1 every year. Vegas likes to empty the pool then run around the yard with it over his head. *sigh* I thought getting him the one with the slide would keep him entertained. Wrong. It just gave him more to work on before he destroyed the pool.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Very good bully daddy! Sounds like you have it covered mostly! :up:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
All obedience classes will say no to harnesses..then I would get a different class. . Bulldogs should never be on a collar and a leash! Jake wears a collar for his ID..but I've never had a vet say a collar is ok!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake

:eek: beware of ALL chicken jerky ....they are under a major food recall..my vet said to be safe..stay away fom all jerky treats! China crap....again...

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
ARGH, I have 2 more days to go until I get to pick up BREMBO. :cursing: He turned 13wks today and I couldn't be more excited to get him.

Pretty sure I am going mad, so I decided to post my shopping list to help me relieve some tension.

I think I may have over-prepared in my determination to make sure I have gotten everything. Here's a list of the items I have picked up: (note that all items were found based on searching through discussions on this forum :nonono:)

Eating

• Fromm Beef Frittata
  • Eukanuba Puppy (currently eating, have to wane him off)
  • Canidae Snap Bit Treats
  • Nature's Variety Biscuits (Lamb, Carrot, Mint)
  • Nature's Variety Biscuits (Rabbit, Apple, Ginger)
  • Small deer antler (they're expensive!)
  • Grizzly Salmon Oil
  • 2 Stainless dog bowls

Sleeping

• Orvis Medium Crate (gift)
  • Orvis Medium Wood Crate Frame (gift)
  • 2, 8-panel indoor x-pens
  • Fatboy Lime Green medium sized dog bed

Obedience/Training

• Custom Leather Collar and Leash
  • Clicker
  • Poochie Bell
  • Signed Up for Puppy Classes
  • Puppy Pads

Grooming

• KONG ZoomGroom
  • Caroline's Oatmeal and Aloe Shampoo
  • Carolines Blueberry/Vanilla facial scrub
  • Derma-Pet Ear Skin Cleanser
  • MalAcetic Wet Wipes
  • 648 Huggies Wipes
  • MalAcetic Oil

Health:

• Trupanion Pet Insurace
  • Made Vet appointment

Books:

• How To Raise Perfect Dog - Cesar Milan
  • Culture Clash - Jean Donaldson
  • Before and After Getting Puppy - Ian Dunbar

TOYS!

• DuraDoggie Fetch Toy/Outdoor Bowl
  • WestPaw Tough Toy
  • WestPaw Zogoflex
  • KONG Biscuit Ball
  • KONG Extreme Toy
  • KONG Regular Toy
  • KONG Extreme Goodie Bone
  • 3 Nylabones
  • 1 Nylabone Dinousar
  • Tuffy's Ultimate Ring
I THINK that covers it! :hahaha:
Do not attempt to total what I've spent... I will probably faint. Thanks to Amazon, PetFlow, Caroline's Pet Pantry, and others!!

I know you guys are crazy (like me), so did any of you have similar shopping lists before you got your dog?
BY THE WAY -- This list is a result of being on THIS website. I would never have bought 1/4 of this stuff if I never found you all!!

Here's Brembo:
brembo4-cropped.jpg

Saturday evening cannot come soon enough!!!
That has to be the most impressive prep of readiness I've seen since myself....:bravo: Nail clippers and a dremmal are the only things I can see that you need. He's him started off right with his nails. How about some cottonballs for his ears and some Witch Hazel. Brembo is one LUCKY boy!!! Congratulations!!!! :D

Totoro

Apr 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Little Abby
[MENTION=4822]ajwhitt44[/MENTION] I got my xpen from drsfostersmith.com. Its actually two of the 4-panel ones put together. They sell it in an 8panel there but I believe its taller-I wanted something I could easily step over.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.