Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Yeah we had no EBN, so all of ours was trial and error. Which when you break it down ....was way more expensive. At least you can be assured that you're getting the best stuff the first time around. Also instead of using all those treats, you can simply feed him frozen green beans. Oh and a kiddie pool. You'll want to get 1 of those. Congratulations!!!!

~Disclaimer~
    Sent from my Droid RAZR using Tapatalk. I'm probably crouched down in a corner at work trying to send this post via dictation software. I shall not be held responsible for any misspellings, incorrect punctuation, and most importantly ..... incorrect translations!!

Drool Catcher Become a 4 Paw Member Bulldoggie371's Avatar
    Real Name
    Heather Morgan
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ciara, Boz, Echo & Aries
    Likes (Received)

Holy Smokes! He's gonna be one spoiled lil Bully! Congrats.

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

ImAGuinneyPig

Default Re: 2 More Days!!! Can't Wait Any Longer!!! - THIS is my shopping list

Wow! That's quite the list!

I would however add that you'll need a harness. Bulldogs should be on a leash and harness, NOT a collar. On account of being brachycephalic, collars can be quite dangerous for them.

Also, I'd nix the puppy pads. At 13 weeks he should be learning to go outside. Letting him go on pee pads in the house only serve to prolong house training. It confuses them by thinking they can relieve themselves in the house. It's ok for really young pups who can't yet go outside, but not for a puppy who is being house trained. Just my thoughts

Very excited for you to pick up your boy!!! Can't wait to see some pics of his homecoming!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Angus
    Likes (Received)

Ah the wait! Yep I was there and remember smiling as I was rushing through the multiple pet supply stores and scavenging things like I was on a fill your cart game show. It's exciting and you will have a blast. Imaguinneypig made a great point about the pads. When they are that young, they need to go out at least every two hours. Just be ready to take em out to do their thing. They learn by repetition. Wish you the best of luck, it sounds like you're off to a great start!
    I don't own a bulldog, my bulldog owns me...

Bulldog(s) Names
    BREMBO
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Twice View Post
    Well DAD!! That was a pretty rude thing to say. But you can make it up to us by posting pictures. Lots and Lots of Pictures

I'm kidding by the way... about the rudeness! not the pictures lol I love your list. Wish I'd had half that stuff when I brought Abby home (and I thought I was prepared! )
    Haha I was confused for a second... I'm a nice person lol! But yeah, I like taking pictures and videos, so this will be a fun time for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Libra926 View Post
    Also instead of using all those treats, you can simply feed him frozen green beans. Oh and a kiddie pool. You'll want to get 1 of those. Congratulations!!!!
    I keep hearing greenbeans! And also fruits, which boggled me (an animal that likes fruit?). Kiddie pool is being added to the list. I looked around Craigslist but no bites yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ImAGuinneyPig View Post

I would however add that you'll need a harness. Bulldogs should be on a leash and harness, NOT a collar. On account of being brachycephalic, collars can be quite dangerous for them.

Also, I'd nix the puppy pads. At 13 weeks he should be learning to go outside. Letting him go on pee pads in the house only serve to prolong house training. It confuses them by thinking they can relieve themselves in the house. It's ok for really young pups who can't yet go outside, but not for a puppy who is being house trained. Just my thoughts

Very excited for you to pick up your boy!!! Can't wait to see some pics of his homecoming!
    You know it's funny that you mentioned the harness. My breeder was indifferent, the obedience class recommended against it, some vets were for it, some against --- it seems like everyone has an opinion and it revolves around bullies having delicate and small trachea. I really want to start with the collar, but if I notice any type of excitability or aggressiveness that causes him to pull, I'll use a harness until I'm able to correct the behavior further.

Also regarding the puppy pads... Is it typical for people to stop using them around 13wks. I thought it would be good to have at least for the first week, as that's when the accidents would be most likely to happen. Note that I wouldn't put the puppy pad out unless I had to leave the puppy in the pen for an extended amount of time, which won't happen.

Thanks so much to everyone for all the comments and suggestions!!!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola Lasagna Lopez, Maximus Meatball Meridius
    Likes (Received)

lol great list!!!!!

Dog Park Attendant TonkaTruck28's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tonka
    Likes (Received)

Sounds like a great list and one lucky bully! Have fun! Tonka loves green beans and all fruits and veggies I have tried so far. My dad actually tried to give him a piece of chicken jerky that his own dogs (golden and border collie) eat ( bad grandpa!) and he wouldn't take it! But the broccoli he was all over! Also, my boyfriend LOVES the name Brembo! Probably because those are the type of brakes he has on his Subaru lol.

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

Life Preserver!!!!!! I don't see life preserver on your list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Little Abby
    Likes (Received)

Abby says you need a Kozy Cave.

I konw I bought alot of stuff before we got her and I wished I had held off on some of it. I was set on the kong toys and nylabones....
    but the truth is mine doesnt even like them. Maybe she will in the future..hopefully...I've got quite a few nylabones.

Her favorite toys right now are the plush Kyjen toys, like the hide a squirrel and squeaker mats....
    Oh..and the JUMBO SPIDER they make is a definate MUST!

OH and I was going to go the training pad route also...but then after a few days I gave up and decided to just take her out more. I wanted her to know how to do both so that she could go in her xpen if we had to be away for the whole day. Turns out the first day we left her in her xpen she didnt even use the bathroom in there at all and we took her right outside when we got home.

Bulldog(s) Names
    jameson and titan
    Likes (Received)

jameson thought wee wee pads were a play toy. i put one out...he shredded it...that was the last one i put out. i have never heard a vet recommend a collar for a bulldog...all around here say harness..breeders all say harnesses.

Oogle Me on Google Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Best deal I've found on Antler Chews

http://antlerchews.com/ you get about 3 for the price of 1 at other places !

Bulldog(s) Names
    BREMBO
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BruceP View Post
    Life Preserver!!!!!! I don't see life preserver on your list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HAHA!! I'm gonna stick with the kiddie pool for now and hope he doesn't try to pull a houdini on me and try to hold his breath. I think the life vests are great!!

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro View Post

Abby says you need a Kozy Cave.

but the truth is mine doesnt even like them. Maybe she will in the future..hopefully...I've got quite a few nylabones.

Her favorite toys right now are the plush Kyjen toys, like the hide a squirrel and squeaker mats....
    Oh..and the JUMBO SPIDER they make is a definate MUST!

OH and I was going to go the training pad route also...but then after a few days I gave up and decided to just take her out more. I wanted her to know how to do both so that she could go in her xpen if we had to be away for the whole day. Turns out the first day we left her in her xpen she didnt even use the bathroom in there at all and we took her right outside when we got home.
    I think I saw you post that cave before! It's really nice and comfy looking!! Where did you get your X-pen?
    I'm going to check out some of the toys you mentioned. I'm looking forward to shopping for more toy-like toys (not bones or kongs) once I have him, as I think it will be more fun. I too am a little worried he won't like the Nylabones or kongs.

Thanks for supporting what others said about the puppy pads. I am ready to do my diligence and take him out every couple hours and 15min after he eats/drinks!!

Quote Originally Posted by nyerathrt View Post
    jameson thought wee wee pads were a play toy. i put one out...he shredded it...that was the last one i put out. i have never heard a vet recommend a collar for a bulldog...all around here say harness..breeders all say harnesses.
    Hahahahah shredded the puppy pad?! What a little monster!
    Regarding the collar/harness... I know that's what I was trying to say, I've done my research and asked around, bully owners, non bully owners -- all have varying opinions, which leads me to believe so long as I am super careful, I can try training him properly on a collar first. I fully intend on getting a harness as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RaRett View Post
    Best deal I've found on Antler Chews

http://antlerchews.com/ you get about 3 for the price of 1 at other places !
    Thanks for this!! I knew they were expensive but this looks like a great deal!

Quote Originally Posted by TonkaTruck28 View Post
    Sounds like a great list and one lucky bully! Have fun! Tonka loves green beans and all fruits and veggies I have tried so far. My dad actually tried to give him a piece of chicken jerky that his own dogs (golden and border collie) eat ( bad grandpa!) and he wouldn't take it! But the broccoli he was all over! Also, my boyfriend LOVES the name Brembo! Probably because those are the type of brakes he has on his Subaru lol.
    Thanks again --- I bet my mom wish I liked veggies as much as Tonka at that age LOL.
    And the name actually DOES relate to the brakes. I'm a car guy and they are by far my favorite brakes.
    Tell your boyfriend I had a Subaru too -- an STi, probably like his (they come with Brembos). I got rid of it a couple years ago to get an M3, I wanted rear wheel drive =)

ANYWAY, again thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I knew I didn't have everything I would possibly need, so I'm very grateful to have you guys shedding some light on things I may not have thought of.

T-MINUS 1.5 days!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads