Allergy to deer antler?

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Curious, is it possible to have allergies to deer antlers?

I took it away for a bit as he was all congested etc, and letting him clear up. Not sure if it is from outside or not, or the deer antler. He loves chewing them so I hope not but the next time I give them I should know for sure.

His eyes were watery etc and mucus sounding so stopped for a bit.

I'm thinking an allergy test would be good so I know if his food, peanut butter or anything I give him is a no no.

No real reason other than throaty mucus sound and watery eyes at times.

Also tried surf and turf instead of beef frittata as a alternative during this time also as he had the smallest little thining hair spots on the back of the head and front legs, could be puberty at 6 months too, very small would hardly even know they were there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:hmm: well I've never heard of an allergy to antlers...but with these critters...WHO KNOWS??? ...as far as the surf n turf..Jake has a chicken allergy..and there is chicken in it. Lots of Bully's seem to have an issue with chicken..so maybe just put that in the back of your mind..

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
I tried the surf and turf and had to go back to the beef frittata because their tear stains got awful, I think for sure Aldo is allergic to Chicken as well because even on raw he had bad stains, he is much improved with the beef only though.. Katara now developed a hot spot, not sure what that is about.. it's always something with these guys!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I'm guessing that it's most likely due to either the food or something in the environment seeing it's allergy season. I find that my boys are tearing much more these days and Stig gets a hive here and there. In the colder months, their skin and faces look much better. But then again, you'd be surprised at what some bullies are allergic to so deer antlers is a possibility.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Well Wilsons allergy test says he's allergic to venison and the vet says deer antlers might not be such a good idea for him.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
The pollen on the fir trees this time of year is outrageous. A thin yellow film is on EVERYTHING at my house because of this one, super healthy tree in the front yard. (Damn my gardening skills!) This time of year...oh it could be SO many things, [MENTION=4305]Vince00[/MENTION] ! Frustrating isn't it?

[MENTION=1760]Fontanafox[/MENTION] - now that's a connection I'd have never made since antler material is a different chemical make up than the meat.....Good to know.

OP
Vince00

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
I'll be sure to reply back, maybe I'll take a video of his eyes before and after. He's sounding great right now again, so far surf and turf also working well.

Sometimes I wonder about knowing too much from these forums that I would never usually tweak on to a issue lol.

Btw watch for a video of Kain later today, very cool!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.