Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I prevent English Bulldog from biting.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Buddy
    Likes (Received)

Default How do I prevent English Bulldog from biting.

I was wanting some advise on how to prevent my 10 week old English bulldog from biting my hands and feet. He also tries to bite my child. He has his own chew toys which he plays with every now and then. Any advise would be helpful.
    Bulldogs R the best!!!

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Aaah, yes. Puppies are prone to bite their humans, it is their way of "playing" with you. I am sure a lot of our members will have suggestions on how you can stop this, but start with your command (NO for example, or NO BITE). Let him/her know it hurts you and push him away or put him/her in their crate. Show him/her their chew toys and try to get them to play fetch with the toys. Redirection is always good, but you must let them know that it is NOT acceptable to bite their humans.

They will be teething so it will be a long time of chewing until they get their adult teeth. So be prepared....

Bulldog(s) Names
    Buddy
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for the information. My English Bulldog which name is Buddy seems to dislike being petted. When we try to pet him he tries to bite us everytime. Do you think this will continue if something ain't done about it. Me and my wife give him alot of attention everyday. There isn't one day that he is left alone. He has all the chew toys in the world and a crate to call home.
    Bulldogs R the best!!!

Kennel Cleaner Jefferson bulldogs's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    IZA Diva & Lots 'O Dots
    Likes (Received)

Puppies that young tend to bite, from experience with teething I highly suggest pig ears, once they get used to chewing on them, thats all they will want.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Buddy
    Likes (Received)

Are pig ears safe for English bulldogs. I don't want my English bulldog to choke on the pig ear. Thank you for the suggestions.
    Bulldogs R the best!!!

Kennel Cleaner Jefferson bulldogs's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    IZA Diva & Lots 'O Dots
    Likes (Received)

I have always given my dog pig ears with no problems, but my dogs dont have any mouth or teeth issues so maybe you should check with your vet to make sure your bulldog has no chewing problems

pig ears are safer than rawhide

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Chip
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I had always given my bulldog pig ears, and someone told me recently that I should not. I was always told pig ears were safe, but rawhide was unsafe. This is a very good question. I vote we create a new topic regarding pig ears and see what everyone has to say about it, because I am curious myself!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lil White Pig "Lily"
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I had this same problem with my bully, I was told by my vet & also by a dog trainer that you should always give them something to redirect their attention, like a chew toy or a knotted sock, like the post below states. Since they do not have hands they use their mouths to touch, feel, & play. After doing the redirection thing with my dog & telling her no, she learned no to bite. I always hear how stubborn bulldogs are but mine is far from, she learns quickly & wants to do whatever to please me. I LOVE my Lily!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Winsten ChurcHell
    Likes (Received)

Winsten is our 4 month old boy we have tried EVERYTHING to get him not to bite redirection,NO BITE,crating him,ceasar millans methods,down to tapping him on the nose but whenever someone else new comes in he goes completely insane he won't mind at all won't even listen to me and i'm the one he always listens to it's to the point people won't pay attention to him anymore because he's so out of control around new people.We've had to just start keeping him crated when someone is here and he can't be out anymore which I hate he needs to meet people but he's drew blood more than once and he knocks kids over already. It's not meanness he's just playing and sooooo excited what else can we do ?

Pet Sitter Become a 4 Paw Member Lindathedogsmaid's Avatar
    Real Name
    Linda Parks- 360 681 5089
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pippa & Peanut
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I also use spray water bottles, one in every room. after the words stop, or NO, spray,them and if they like the water sprayed. add a little lemon juice, they usually do not like this. after a little while, they will respect the water bottle and the word.

Pet Sitter Become a 4 Paw Member Lindathedogsmaid's Avatar
    Real Name
    Linda Parks- 360 681 5089
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pippa & Peanut
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

the above post was correct, redirect, but also if not possible then correct!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads