Scary weekend for Otis and family

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Good morning all -

Hope you had a fantastic holiday weekend. I have not been online due to a scare that happened with Otis on Saturday.

We went to our camp up north (we are doing work to it) and the upstairs bedroom is being sheet rocked so right now we just have insulation in the walls.

The door to that room was shut but not well because Otis got in there. When I went upstairs looking for him, he was eating insulation.

Within 10 minutes he was vomitting uncontrollably - I called the vet and ofcourse everyone was closed for the holiday. Found the closest place for me to bring him was 1.5 hours away. My husband and I rushed him to the car and drove the like madman, hazard lights on all the way.

I sat in the back with Otis and he continued to vomit the entire trip along with foam pouring out of his mouth on each side, his eyes were closing and all I could think was he was dying, it's poison and it's slowing going all through his body. One of the scariest moments in my life.

We arrived at the emergency vet clinic FINALLY and ran in the door. As soon as we got there the vomitting stopped and he was completly wiped out, slept on the office floor.

They did an x-ray and nothing was in his stomach - they sent him home with instructions to only give 1/4 c of water after 2-3 hours and no food for rest of evening and to keep a close eye on him.

Today he is doing fine, other then he has lost 3 baby teeth, but the worse is over. He is now eating and drinking well.

Thought I would share, you just never know what they will put in those little mouths....

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
omgoodness! that is scary these bullys will eat anything and everything and they're like little ninjas you can't take your eyes off of them for one minute. I'm so glad Otis is ok whew!!!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
OMG, that must of been scary. So reliefed he is OK!

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
OMG that is scary. So glad it worked out ok.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I'm so glad that Otis is okay!!! But what a little bugger to eat the drywall.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
:whew: Thank goodness all is okay now! That must have been pretty scary!

OP
LynnA

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Thanks everyone! Our house was Otis proofed and I thought camp was too, it sure is NOW!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I know how it feels to be rushing to a hospital holding your baby and thinking they are dying. It's the worst feeling in the world. I don't have kids....so Vegas and Orion are my babies. That first episode when Vegas was having cluster seizures..it was unlike anything I had ever imagined. It was almost midnight and he was seizing, foaming at the mouth, defecating, urinating...........all uncontrollably. The longest 40 minute drive of my life. It's one of the toughest and scariest days in my life that I can remember. I thought he was going to die in my arms.

This is an important reminder to EVERYONE...be on your toes at all times. If you travel with your bulldogs...make sure you know where the nearest vet is and the nearest 24 ER.

Also, remember Hydrogen peroxide aides in helping dogs throw up. This could be a life saving product that should be carried in all doggy first aid kits.

I'm so happy everything turned out okay. The relief you must feel! Thank you so much for posting this.

OP
LynnA

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I know how it feels to be rushing to a hospital holding your baby and thinking they are dying. It's the worst feeling in the world. I don't have kids....so Vegas and Orion are my babies. That first episode when Vegas was having cluster seizures..it was unlike anything I had ever imagined. It was almost midnight and he was seizing, foaming at the mouth, defecating, urinating...........all uncontrollably. The longest 40 minute drive of my life. It's one of the toughest and scariest days in my life that I can remember. I thought he was going to die in my arms.

This is an important reminder to EVERYONE...be on your toes at all times. If you travel with your bulldogs...make sure you know where the nearest vet is and the nearest 24 ER.

Also, remember Hydrogen peroxide aides in helping dogs throw up. This could be a life saving product that should be carried in all doggy first aid kits.

I'm so happy everything turned out okay. The relief you must feel! Thank you so much for posting this.

I'm so sorry to hear of your experience also.

You are so right about knowing where the local and 24 hour vet is - wish I would have thought about that before I left.

I will be buying the Hydrogen peroxide as well.

Feed back is always terrific and I plan to absord all I can get

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online