Thread: Are Bulldogs Large breed or not?

Real Name
    Frank
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bongo
    Likes (Received)

Default Are Bulldogs Large breed or not?

Hi all,

I've had a lot of conflicting sources some tell me English Bulldogs are considered large breeds and should be fed large breed puppy food because of there bone size and rapid growth in the puppy stage. Some of these people were vets and dog food companies. Others have told me that they are not considered a large breed and I should feeding him regular puppy food? Anyone have definitive research and the right answer? Oh and here is my bongo.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1338345859-256747-jpg
    Thanks,
    Frank & Bongo

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Are Bulldogs Large breed or not?

They arent large breed..Large breed is boxers, pitbulls, mastiff etc Bulldogs are heavy like large breed but bone structure is different! They should go to all stages (not large breed) food after about 16 weeks...Others will be by also to give some input
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Watson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

They are considered a medium breed.

Real Name
    Frank
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bongo
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChanelnBrutus View Post
    They arent large breed..Large breed is boxers, pitbulls, mastiff etc Bulldogs are heavy like large breed but bone structure is different! They should go to all stages (not large breed) food after about 16 weeks...Others will be by also to give some input
    So what are you feeding Bongo is 20 weeks now and I want to take him off Origen large puppy breed food.
    Frank and Bongo
    Thanks,
    Frank & Bongo

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fbjdd View Post
    So what are you feeding Bongo is 20 weeks now and I want to take him off Origen large puppy breed food.
    Frank and Bongo
    I used to have Brutus on Solid Gold Lamb/Rice but quickly learned the food is LOL I switched to Fromm Beef Frittatta and couldnt be happier with everything. He doesnt fart, poo is solid and formed not like with SG...I think there was another post of the choices you had can you refresh my memory I cant remember my name sometimes
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

I'm sure you will get several different answers and I'm sure it really will depend on the size of your bully. Some bullies in this forum are only 30-35 lbs fully grown and some are 65-75 lbs plus, making some medium breed and some large breed.

My vet referred to my Bulldog as large breed, not because of size but more because of guestimated weight and the stress the weight puts on the joints. However, I'm not sure how much difference there really is in large breed food versus regular breed food other than the kibble size. I do also agree that all-stages food is ideal and takes the guess work out of determining at what age do I feed puppy food, adult food, senior food, etc...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Medium breed for sure. We also are on the Fromm Beef Frittata. It single source protein and grain free.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

My vet specifically states Bully's are NOT large Breed. Large breed is NOT decided by weight..but by how rapidly the puppy reaches maturity. If they are growing very rapidly..like Great Danes or Mastiffs...they require a bit more protein and calcium. Obviously, Bulldogs mature rather slowly. It takes them 18 months to 2 years to fill out and become themselves. If you feed them large breed food, it is the opposite of what they need. You will find many different foods that work differently on these guys.. If you are lucky, you'll find one that works for yours quickly. Bongo is a sweetheart!

Meant to add..my vet totally believes in All Stage Food for puppies and it will help to maintain the growth in their joints and a lot of trouble spots Bully's have.
    Last edited by JAKEISGREAT; 05-29-2012 at 11:40 PM.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
    Likes (Received)

I have my boys on Nature's Logic all natural, no chemicals, additives or preservatives, and grain free. Their poo is almost completely dry, and very small and solid. Hardly any gas and then it's more likely due to whatever treat they had and their coats are nice and bright and soft to the touch. It's also all stages and my youngest is only 7 months and he's been on it for almost two months now.
    Kim, Lord Sebastian, Sir Oliver, Remy Le Beau, and Gracie Lou <3

Remove Ads