Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
Hi all,

I've had a lot of conflicting sources some tell me English Bulldogs are considered large breeds and should be fed large breed puppy food because of there bone size and rapid growth in the puppy stage. Some of these people were vets and dog food companies. Others have told me that they are not considered a large breed and I should feeding him regular puppy food? Anyone have definitive research and the right answer? Oh and here is my bongo. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338345859.256747.jpg

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
They arent large breed..Large breed is boxers, pitbulls, mastiff etc Bulldogs are heavy like large breed but bone structure is different! They should go to all stages (not large breed) food after about 16 weeks...Others will be by also to give some input :)

OP
Fbjdd

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
They arent large breed..Large breed is boxers, pitbulls, mastiff etc Bulldogs are heavy like large breed but bone structure is different! They should go to all stages (not large breed) food after about 16 weeks...Others will be by also to give some input :)

So what are you feeding Bongo is 20 weeks now and I want to take him off Origen large puppy breed food.
Frank and Bongo

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
So what are you feeding Bongo is 20 weeks now and I want to take him off Origen large puppy breed food.
Frank and Bongo

I used to have Brutus on Solid Gold Lamb/Rice but quickly learned the food is :barf: LOL I switched to Fromm Beef Frittatta and couldnt be happier with everything. He doesnt fart, poo is solid and formed not like with SG...I think there was another post of the choices you had can you refresh my memory :lol: I cant remember my name sometimes :ROFL:

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I'm sure you will get several different answers and I'm sure it really will depend on the size of your bully. Some bullies in this forum are only 30-35 lbs fully grown and some are 65-75 lbs plus, making some medium breed and some large breed.

My vet referred to my Bulldog as large breed, not because of size but more because of guestimated weight and the stress the weight puts on the joints. However, I'm not sure how much difference there really is in large breed food versus regular breed food other than the kibble size. ;) I do also agree that all-stages food is ideal and takes the guess work out of determining at what age do I feed puppy food, adult food, senior food, etc...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Medium breed for sure. We also are on the Fromm Beef Frittata. It single source protein and grain free.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
My vet specifically states Bully's are NOT large Breed. Large breed is NOT decided by weight..but by how rapidly the puppy reaches maturity. If they are growing very rapidly..like Great Danes or Mastiffs...they require a bit more protein and calcium. Obviously, Bulldogs mature rather slowly. It takes them 18 months to 2 years to fill out and become themselves. If you feed them large breed food, it is the opposite of what they need. You will find many different foods that work differently on these guys.. If you are lucky, you'll find one that works for yours quickly. Bongo is a sweetheart!

Meant to add..my vet totally believes in All Stage Food for puppies and it will help to maintain the growth in their joints and a lot of trouble spots Bully's have.

Last edited:

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I have my boys on Nature's Logic all natural, no chemicals, additives or preservatives, and grain free. Their poo is almost completely dry, and very small and solid. Hardly any gas and then it's more likely due to whatever treat they had and their coats are nice and bright and soft to the touch. It's also all stages and my youngest is only 7 months and he's been on it for almost two months now.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.