Advice for cross-country move with Watson

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
So I am moving from South Carolina to California in 3 weeks. I decided the best thing is for me to drive back because I feel that it is much safer for Watson. So I have a few questions and wondering if anyone has any advice to offer me. He normally sits in the backseat when he goes for car rides but for this long trip (it will take us almost a week), do you guys think it is better to let him sit in the front with the AC blowing at him? Also I am gonna be making stops in Mobile, Houston, New Mexico then Cali. For our stop in Houston, we will be staying for a weekend for a family reunion. My family from TX are not dog people so I wouldn't be able to keep him there. I am gonna stay in a hotel that allows dogs but when I am away from the hotel, should I leave him in a crate at the hotel or should I board him at a local kenneling place for a couple of days. I just know he will be so stressed out by this move. That usually means he will shed like crazy. I am trying to make this the least stressful for him.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
no advice but good luck on the trip and the move. If you feel he would be safe in the front seat with you, then by all means I say let him ride with the cool AC blowing on him, other than that hopefully some other experts will chime in.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
We let our bullys sit in the front if there are no other passengers and if it's a short ride. For a long ride they can fit better on the back seat if they want to lie down and sleep. As for the weekend reunion .. is there no way you can crate him at the house of the place you are having the reunion. I certainly would be freaking out if I had to crate him in a strange hotel where he could get stolen. I'd also be unhappy about leaving him a kennel that I know nothing about.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Vinh I have no advice on this sorry! I agree with [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] the hotel is safe if you are with him but leaving him may not be a good idea. I hope everything works out for you! :hug:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We have moved from Colorado with 2 large Dobermans..2 kids..and a screaming cockatiel! :cursing: it was half the distance you will be moving and very stressful indeed. If its in the ummer..you must be very..very concerned about the heat. He will not be able to stay in Car for 5 minutes in summer heat. We left a Dobie loose in our hotel room for less than 30 minutes and she chewed up two Cabbage Patch Dolls and Coors bumper stickers! She had pieces of these stickers all over her..so it was very obvious who the guilty party was! :bang: I would not feel comfortable leaving my dog in a hotel for any length ofi time. Afraid I'd skip the reunion. Too many things can go wrong! Let's ask @Davidh..he travels a lot with bully's! We will welcome you to California though!! :clap:

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I have an SUV and put mine in a crate or harness in the back. We put the rear seats down so they get more air back there and direct the air vents back there. If you do not have an SUV then I would put him in the back seat. Take plenty of water for him, towels and paper towels. Also don't forget the poop pickup bags for rest stops. I would definitely NOT kennel him, plus I'm not all that trilled about keeping him in a hotel un supervised, just because of theft. bring his crate to sleep in at night also. What part of Houston are you staying in, and when are you coming? We are on the west side of Houston.

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
I think that him in the front seat is fine, I let Gio sit in the front seat all the time. My car automatically shuts of the airbag if the passenger is under a certain weight. If the airbag is on I would be a little more worried having the dogs in the front. I also agree with others about leaving him in the hotel or a kennel you aren't familiar with. I just wouldn't trust hotels, too many people have keys to every room, yes I know they are employees but still. Any way you could keep him in a room at the reunion??

OP
Watson

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Thanks everyone for your advice

@Kim Sebastian n Oliver I think I am gonna get him a Kool Collar and let him sit in the back seat that way he can stretch out and sleep

@kazzy220 and @ChanelnBrutus I feel it is unsafe too to leave him in the hotel too.

@JAKEISGREAT thanks for your input. I don't plan on leaving him in the car alone for any period of time. I'm afraid the reunion is actually put together for me so I have to go. As for the welcome to Cali, thanks. I am originally from Cali (West Covina area), I went to high school and college (UCLA) there. I just left for medical school and residency training (9 years now) so time to come back home!

@Davidh David, I have an Accord 4-door so it wouldn't fit a crate anyway. I am coming into Houston the last weekend in June. My relatives live near the Bush airport. I just spoke to my cousin who lives in Houston. He has a couple of pugs so I asked him if I could keep Watson at his place in his crate during the day so that part is settled.

@mcraven2 I will probably keep him in the back seat. I am not sure about the front air bags on my car as to whether or not it gets diabled.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=3872]Watson[/MENTION]..:up: great news you have a safe place for Watson to hang out! And a reunion in your honor!! How awesome! It'll be an adventure..30 years later we still laugh over some of our experiences! West Covina?? We are in Monrovia! Home Sweet Home! :clap:

Last edited:

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
When we travel, Lupe sleeps on her bed in the car when we drive. We put the back seat down behind the driver's seat..as a passenger I have easy access for ear-scratching :). But wherever, plan for sun through the windows. No amount of AC will help that. I use a pillowcase on the window, which is obviously safer on the back than the front.

Also, we try to keep the schedule the same on our road trips: dinner time, TV "chill" time, play and sleep (she stays in bed with us)

One consideration---this is way out there--is to interview a dog sitter via phone/Skype, and get references, then have them day-sit at your dog-friendly hotel ( if it's close enough to your reunion) Or, if your baby is comfy in the crate, it seems like your relatives could find a cool spot somewhere. Kennels...oof, just came off a bad-ish experience...I know it's probably safer than some other alternatives, but I don't see myself opting for that ever again.

Anyway, good luck. Try to stay positive. And take pics!

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Good luck on the move... what an adventure for you both... don't have any advice to add to the already excellent advice given....just listen to your own common sense you'll know what Watson needs....

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
If you decide to put him in the front and you're not sure if the airbag will be automatically shut off depending on his weight, you can look under the seat, and you can disable it. I Have an SUV and mine was a yellow plug..I looked it up on line how to disable it. I did this when I moved from MD to florida with my a2 little dogs up front. I had two dog car seats with straps to restrain them attached to their harnesses. I also got a zip line for back seat for bubba. I got it from petsmart or petco..can't remember which one (ordered it online). I attach it to his harness and he can go from window to window in the back but can't fly forward to front if there is an accident. Good luck on your trip!

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
1) front seat - NO too much of a distraction as a driver - your job is to get him safely to his new home
we have a tether hookup in our car - the foot long tether (made of a chain) attaches to one of the hard points (like where you connect baby seats too) Gizmo has enough room to look around, look at the window and enough to be able to lay down and stretch out on the back seat

2) pick up a few of those Emergency Cool Packs (like we all uses in little league) that you squeeze to activate, you might not need one, but if you do need one due to heat, and dont have one....

3) if you can not crate him at the place of the reunion (bedroom whatever) and have to choose hotel or Kennel - I personally would choose hotel room, IN the kennel, with padlocks on each door of kennel - and the 'Do Not Disturb Sign' on the door - you want to stop the opportunistic thief - and if you have an oversized Kennel it would be better too. (Can you carry the bully, IN the big Kennel easily? bingo)

Ice Chest with COLD water - if you are worried about airflow, you can pick up a fan that plugs into a cigarette lighter, that you can clip in the back seat to blow air where you want it. (might need to check in a boating supply store if its hard to find)

Traveling at night is cooler, if you are comfortable doing that.

that is about it for my random thoughs! :) good luck, and keep a log and let us know how it goes - OH you might want to list some vets, pet hospitals, etc for your route (if you dont have a smartphone) 'just in case'

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
We moved from California to Iowa last September, so at least we didn't get the worst of the summer heat. Before we left, we got the AC fixed and charged so it worked well and Frank stayed cool even in the back. We also have a cool collar for him too. We just stayed in dog friendly hotels and never left him, but we didn't have any other obligations on our move. It looks like you got good advice from everyone and you will know what is best for Watson. Good luck!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.