What age to spay?

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
We are getting spunky spayed soon, and I'm a little nervous because I've heard you should wait until their full grown to do so...what are everyone's experiences with this? I certainly don't want to hinder her, or affect her natural size...or her health!

She's 7 months

[MENTION=4194]GoGween[/MENTION]

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I have read conflicting advice on this..>Some will say to spay at 6months and some say to wait at least unitl 18 months...We had Brutus neutuerd at 8 months due to emergency surgery needed so we did everything at one time..He is now 11 months and is filling out very nice...We would have waited until 18 months if we had the choice!

[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] He can def give you some advice on this

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
Usually before the 1st heat cycle. We had Belly spayed at 5 1/2 months. Dylan will probably be neutered around the same time. You'll find lots of different opinions though. I went through one bully running around in diapers, chasing her when she wiggled out of them...didn't want to do it again.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Emma has an appt on June 9th to discuss this. She'll be a week over 6 months. I always thought it was after the first heat? I'm new to female dogs so I'm learning as I go. Hopefully others will chime in too, I'd like to hear what they say.

As for our males, Wilson and Jack, they were done after they turned a year per vets advice.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I have never noticed a difference in age when you spay or neuter. I see no benefit in waiting. That's my experience. And it's your decision. Young patients heal faster.

nando1301

May 6, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Samantha (Sam)
We got Samantha spayed when she turned 6 months we didn't want to deal with diapers, cleaning and smell. Also when we go to the dog park no male is trying to get nasty with her....:whew: .

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well which is better I'm not sure, it's always a good discussion. If you don't want the hassle of waring diapers and the mess have her spayed before her first heat cycle. I like to wait until after their heat cycle just to let them mature a little. Does it make any difference? I'm not sure, but I like to think so. I have talked to different vets and other breeders and have gotten different answers. Who's right, I don't know, I think it's just personal preference myself.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.