Update

Dalia55

Jan 31, 2012
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Lasagna Lopez, Maximus Meatball Meridius
Hey guys I wanted to make sure I keep you all updated in everything going on. I still miss Lola VERY much. Tomorrow I pick up Lola's ashes & finally bring her back home. Being without her is weird & has left me with an empty spot even though I am trying to cope. But here is the issue I am currently placed with.

LOL what better spot to get answers then here. (you guys will never get rid of me)

So, after Lola passed I told myself I NEVER want a dog again. My family offered to buy me another dog right away. I even had friends & family bringing me $, yorkies, pugs, & every possible little creature you could imagine. So far I have respectfully rejected every offer. I have had plently of people tell me that they think I am making the wrong choice by not accepting any offers. I didn't think so, but now I am starting to wonder... am I making the wrong choice? I know for sure right now I do not think another dog will help my situation. I am still grieving Lola & do not want a dog forced on me that I will resent. But then again I love Bulldogs so if I had one infront of me how can I do anything but love it? I mean when I see that little bulldog butt wiggling on me will it be okay? Plus when in my lifetime will I ever be able to get another bulldog for FREE???

I just want to make the right choice. Please give comments & advice for my confused little soul.

:heart: thanks guys

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
You will have to follow your heart on this one. I havent been in your situation but I know that you dont get free ones everyday...So i would probably jump on it..But Im bullie nuts

Totoro

Apr 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Little Abby
Been in your situation before with other dog breeds....
Dont accept anything you dont want..like another breed of dog you didnt have your heart set on....
but if the offer comes from your family/friends for another bulldog then accept. They just want you to be happy. Believe me, you wont feel resentment to the new pup-if anything this will make you love it more. And why deny yourself the chance to be happy with another dog again?

Know you did everything you could for Lola and try to let her go. You still have lots of love to give and lots more happy memories to make.

Good luck

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
I am so sorry that you have to go thru this I can only imagine the pain you must be feeling. You need to take the time you need to grieve over the loss of Lola but I don't think accepting the offer of a new bully will interfere with that. You deserve to have a bully to love! No bully will ever replace Lola but I think you have much love to give to a bully who will love you in return. You are really lucky to have such loving friends and family who would offer such kindness. Good luck!

Twisted tails

May 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Crumpet, Blossom, Tinkerbelle
What a wonderful supportive family you have, if you are missing the companionship of your sweet girl, then to
Help you with the process of grieving a new little wiggle bum will be a very good choice. I have lost 3 furry children over
Many years and it always helped to have that warm little body to pet when the sadness comes. Good luck and I hope you find joy again!

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
I was in your situation and its a terrible feeling loosing your best friend and I felt the same way you did about another dog, I rescued a Bully that needed me and I believe my Gunnyboy is happy Im helping another bully that needs a home and love, Im so happy I did. No one will replace my Gunnyboy but there is always enough love in my heart for another bully or two !

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I think the best people to help you understand how this does not take away from your grief are [MENTION=4471]Sargesmom[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4277]gunnyboy[/MENTION] . They recently lost their sweet Gunny and now have Sarge.... I am sure they can help.

If it were me, I'd be taking the free bulldog.... I lost Nitschke in October and our vet gave us a French Bulldog puppy in December -- I still grieve for my sweet boy and miss him everyday, still even cry for him and having Cheli enter our life two months after our loss has not changed any of our feelings.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I think you need to just follow your heart ... don't feel pressurised into doing something ... but be open to the possibility that your next bully is being sent to you by Lola.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Remember Lola loves you and wants you to be happy! And if you love bulldogs, she will be happy that you loved her so much that you have another to love. :heart:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i think the fact that your are even considering it says lots. says that you maybe more ready than you think. id say go for it.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Sending you a big hug. Four years ago I lost my yorkie on new years eve to an accident. I swore that I couldn't take that pain and would never want another dog. Three days later I was so miserable. I longed to hear the whine, bark and little paws on the hardwood floors. I couln't take it, I got another dog. I think once you are used to that unconditional love and companionship it's hard to do without it. I still miss my Lulu, she will always be in my heart, but I am glad I got a new baby. I knew I wasn't replacing Lulu so that made it so much easier. There is no true timetable as to what is best, the most helpful thing I can tell you is to listen to our heart. You will know when you are ready. Honestly once you have loved an animal there is no coming back from that feeling.

Sargesmom

Mar 7, 2012
Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Boy, Sarge and Splat (Lou Lou)
You do have to follow your heart but Im sooo glad we got Sarge when we did....I miss our Gunny so much but I know he is looking down at us saying thanks for caring for a bully that needed yall...a good home and lots of love...there is always going to be a place in our heart for Gunny that no other bully can replace but there is still enough room in out hearts for some more bully love <3...when you are ready you will know and it will be heart lifting to you...hope this helps a bit and Im so sorry for the lose of Lola...my heart goes out to you and my prayers are with you <3

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
What does your gut say? Follow your own intuition. You will know when it's right. :yes:

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I have a friend who will get a puppy immediately after losing one, she does it every time, even knowing she has 3 other Cocker Spaniels at home. She will always have 4 dogs....It helps her get over the loss, but she will still miss them like crazy.

Terri on the other hand will make me wait. She will go years between dogs. I know if anything happens to one of ours right now, I would need to wait.

It is a very personal decision and no right or wrong answer.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online