training?

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Ayone use a dog whistle for training? Norm seems to respond well to it. But I can only do it outside cause it causes fights in the house.

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
Dog whistles are typically used for distance training, to give your dog commands such as come back, veer left, stay etc... and most applicable to hunting dogs so that the owner can issue commands without scaring the prey with a human voice.

But yes, it could be fun in any situation to be able to issue commands non verbally. Perhaps in cases like Bono where he has the open room to run freely on his walks... would be good to bring him back without having to yell... or for anyone at a dog park, but that would be interesting if more than one dog at the park is trained to come back to the whistle :D

OP
bulldog family

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
I'm trying to train them to come to the whistle. Norm and LeRoy seem to get the hang of it. China... well... she's not the smartest dog I've ever owned.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
That is interesting- never thought of using a whistle for training. I may have to try that myself! At least for 'come', like you are doing.

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
No..my husband had some kind of clicker thing. Not that it worked, Chester just wanted to bite it - I think he thought it was a treat :p

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.