Adoption Didn't Go As Planned :(

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Well I drove the 3 1/2 hours to the shelter earlier today. Super excited because I thought for sure Gertie was coming home with me. I knew she had head tremors and wasn't potty trained, I was prepared for the senior bully issues but then the adoption counselor started telling me that she had been vomitting, and had vomitted up a piece of leather glove (which she said they don't use at the shelter). She then preceeded to tell me that she didn't think she had parvovirus but said to keep an eye out for bloody stools and lethargy and to go to the vet immediately if she had either of those things happen. My heart sank...

I was worried about the risk of pieces of a glove still being in her system (they didn't check her stomach they said) but even more worried about the parvo risk. I feel like crap. I made sure that she was going to eventually go to rescue if no one adopted her (which she was, along with another bully that is completely blind). Then I made a donation towards her care and drove the 3 1/2 hours back home. I'm sad but those two factors were things I just couldn't chance. The shelter said that the vet told them to monitor her for more vomitting over the next few days so I'm not sure why they didn't call/e-mail and let me know the vet recommended she be watched. It was a cruddy situation and I feel terrible that she didn't end up coming home. :(

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
aww i'm sorry to hear that. poor baby, eating gloves and whatnot. maybe they will keep a good eye on her and let you know how things are going. things might end up going as planned after all? :) *hug*

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OMG... how disappointing and cruel of them to have not called and told you this information.... so sorry for both of you

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
I'm sorry things turned out this way. Maybe they can get her situated and you can try again soon. They definitely should have called you though, especially if they knew you were making such a long drive.

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
How disappointing! They knew you have other dogs I think they should have notified you of the risk of parvo as well as the glove. It is hard but I think you made the right decision! You are awesome for opening your heart to older untrained dogs, you're like my heroe! Hopefully the situation will resolve..,

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh I am so sorry to hear this, I know how excited you were. :(

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
So sorry this happend! I just want you to know that you are an amazing person for doing this! I hope everything works out for you and the sweet little girl!

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
awww i'm so sorry that things didn't go as planned.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
I am so sorry to hear this. I dont understand why they didnt call you ahead of time to save you the drive.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I am so sorry this didn't work out for both of you. You are an amazing person being willing to give a home to a senior, not potty trained female. I can tell you if it was a leather glove it would most likely digest and pass thru. but the parvo concern...they should have called you!

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I happened to be at a stoplight on the trip and looked over and saw this though...(I had to snap a pic so I could share with you guys!:))

IMG00409-20120525-1115.jpg

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Because of the holiday weekend, I missed all of this. I just wanted to add my sympathy and ANGER that they couldn't be bothered to tell you. These people know how hard it is to adopt out an older dog, especially an older untrained dog. They should be kissing your feet! Not disrespecting you by making you drive all that way for nothing.

I am so sorry

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.