Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abbys first vet visit and some q's

Bulldog(s) Names
    Little Abby
    Likes (Received)

Default Abbys first vet visit and some q's

Abby went to the vet yesterday for her shots and to be checked for parasites. No worms and everything looked good.
    Her face has alot of white on it (fur haha!) and when we took her in the assistant noticed it was pink. I hadnt noticed it at all to be honest. We got her Sunday and I'm not sure if it was like that then or not.

I asked the vet if it could be allergies and he just said possibly. I asked what to do for it and he just tried to sell me some regular dog shampoo...which I declined.

It's still pink today but she hasn't done any scratching and it doesn't seem to bother her. It's not on her belly or anywhere else, just the white of her face. That got me thinking that maybe its sunburn.
    Do bullies with white faces get it? It seems possible. My other theories were allergies from the grass or just her going through a transition phase with us switching her to the Fromm Surf n Turf.
    Any ideas? I use the blueberry facial scrub on her and wipe her wrinkles and tail with the Earthbath hypo allergenic wipes. I've also washed her with kong puppy shampoo...which is supposed to be hypoallergenic also.

Another thing...he mentioned I should spay her later. I'm definately not going to breed, but Im not sure I would want to put her through the surgery. He said if I dont that other health problems could arise.

He also said that when he spay her, he would look in her throat and see if that needed surgery....not sure why exactly..something about making her breathe easier and to keep her from snoring..
    which I thought all bulldogs snore. Has anyone had this surgery? Is it nessecary? pros/cons of it?

Im going back in 3 wks for another set of shots for her, but after that we're going to find a vet that specializes in bulldogs. We live in a small town and I think we are the only ones with an english bulldog....and Im not so sure my vet knows what hes talking about.

Only the best for Little Abby!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Little Abby
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Abbys first vet visit and some q's

I just noticed her face in my avatar!! Haha, its late..forgive me.
    Now we have a pic to show what Im talking about! Its pink in the picture....but also its pink in the area on her forehead. any ideas?

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nigel Wentworth Sinclair & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Are you using plastic bowls for feeding and water? You should only use stainless steel or porcelain bowls with them due to allergies. Mine get pink in the face and I give them Benadryl to ease any itching or allergic reactions.

Cheerio mates!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Little Abby
    Likes (Received)

No, Ive used stainless from the start from reading on here. =) hmmm..

Bulldog(s) Names
    Little Abby
    Likes (Received)

OH, @NigelsMom When you say Benadryl...do you mean childrens liquid or regular? And how much/how often?
    Thanks

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nigel Wentworth Sinclair & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

the pills 25 mg - my vet said that I could give Nigel 2 pill 3x a day for his itching right now but he's 53 lbs so adjust for your baby.

Cheerio mates!

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Good to hear that everything went well. The redness in her face could be from the food transition or from the sun. Try not wash and wipe her too much. Dogs have protective oils in their skin and it's not good to wash that away. I wouldn't give her any meds without knowing that she is allergic and also she is not bothered by the redness.
    Maybe the vet just wants to check her throat for soft palate or something. Is her breathing ok now? Just to make her not snore by cutting her throat is not necessary. I don't know if there is a Bulldog that has the windpipes of a husky, but some snore and some don't. Enjoy it, mine is just snoring away under the table...love it

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

My personal opinion on spaying: Ive had two dogs develop pyometra (infection in the uterus) now. It is deadly if not treated right away. So we spayed immediately. Also helps from getting cancer and other health issues. Also helps females with attitude most of the time.

On the throat, He is thinking she may have an elongated palette? If she isnt choking when eating and no other problems I say dont fix it. All my bullies snore its like a symphony..

Well thats just my opinion on a few things

Bulldog(s) Names
    Little Abby
    Likes (Received)

Yes, thats what it was..elongated palate. Anyone ever corrected that?

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn, but maybe my login name gave it away...lol
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis and Winston
    Likes (Received)

I thought all bulldogs had the pink color in the nose area, I know Oits does and I have seen many a pic on here and most do - am I wrong to think that's normal? Mind you it's not overly pink...
    Otis you'll never know how much I love you I love you more then all the leaves on all the trees

Bulldog(s) Names
    Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
    Likes (Received)

i wonder if it stays a little wet when she drinks water and irritates it a little; like @RiiSi said, don't wipe too much, that can dry out the area as well. I had Katara spayed at 6 months; she did wonderful, her normal self that same afternoon.. I was impressed at how fast she recovered. I think the general consensus is to spay if you are not intending to breed. Abby is beautiful!

Eagerly and Nervously awaiting the homecoming of Bruno Cannoli

Drool Catcher Become a 4 Paw Member Bulldoggie371's Avatar
    Real Name
    Heather Morgan
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ciara, Boz, Echo & Aries
    Likes (Received)

Abby is a doll! My opinion if she's not scratching I would leave it alone. As far as the elingated palette goes, had my Callista's done at a young age because she could not eat without throwing it back up. If Abby is not having this issue I would not worry about it. No need to keep them under sedation any longer than necessary.

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads