Abbys first vet visit and some q's

Totoro

Apr 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Little Abby
Abby went to the vet yesterday for her shots and to be checked for parasites. No worms and everything looked good.
Her face has alot of white on it (fur haha!) and when we took her in the assistant noticed it was pink. I hadnt noticed it at all to be honest. We got her Sunday and I'm not sure if it was like that then or not.

I asked the vet if it could be allergies and he just said possibly. I asked what to do for it and he just tried to sell me some regular dog shampoo...which I declined.

It's still pink today but she hasn't done any scratching and it doesn't seem to bother her. It's not on her belly or anywhere else, just the white of her face. That got me thinking that maybe its sunburn.
Do bullies with white faces get it? It seems possible. My other theories were allergies from the grass or just her going through a transition phase with us switching her to the Fromm Surf n Turf.
Any ideas? I use the blueberry facial scrub on her and wipe her wrinkles and tail with the Earthbath hypo allergenic wipes. I've also washed her with kong puppy shampoo...which is supposed to be hypoallergenic also.

Another thing...he mentioned I should spay her later. I'm definately not going to breed, but Im not sure I would want to put her through the surgery. He said if I dont that other health problems could arise.

He also said that when he spay her, he would look in her throat and see if that needed surgery....not sure why exactly..something about making her breathe easier and to keep her from snoring..
which I thought all bulldogs snore. Has anyone had this surgery? Is it nessecary? pros/cons of it?

Im going back in 3 wks for another set of shots for her, but after that we're going to find a vet that specializes in bulldogs. We live in a small town and I think we are the only ones with an english bulldog....and Im not so sure my vet knows what hes talking about. :ROFL:

Only the best for Little Abby! :lol:

OP
Totoro

Totoro

Apr 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Little Abby
I just noticed her face in my avatar!! Haha, its late..forgive me.
Now we have a pic to show what Im talking about! Its pink in the picture....but also its pink in the area on her forehead. any ideas?

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
Are you using plastic bowls for feeding and water? You should only use stainless steel or porcelain bowls with them due to allergies. Mine get pink in the face and I give them Benadryl to ease any itching or allergic reactions.

OP
Totoro

Totoro

Apr 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Little Abby
No, Ive used stainless from the start from reading on here. =) hmmm..

OP
Totoro

Totoro

Apr 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Little Abby
OH, [MENTION=3502]NigelsMom[/MENTION] When you say Benadryl...do you mean childrens liquid or regular? And how much/how often?
Thanks

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
the pills 25 mg - my vet said that I could give Nigel 2 pill 3x a day for his itching right now but he's 53 lbs so adjust for your baby.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Good to hear that everything went well. The redness in her face could be from the food transition or from the sun. Try not wash and wipe her too much. Dogs have protective oils in their skin and it's not good to wash that away. I wouldn't give her any meds without knowing that she is allergic and also she is not bothered by the redness.
Maybe the vet just wants to check her throat for soft palate or something. Is her breathing ok now? Just to make her not snore by cutting her throat is not necessary. I don't know if there is a Bulldog that has the windpipes of a husky, but some snore and some don't. Enjoy it, mine is just snoring away under the table...love it:luv:

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
My personal opinion on spaying: Ive had two dogs develop pyometra (infection in the uterus) now. It is deadly if not treated right away. So we spayed immediately. Also helps from getting cancer and other health issues. Also helps females with attitude most of the time.

On the throat, He is thinking she may have an elongated palette? If she isnt choking when eating and no other problems I say dont fix it. All my bullies snore its like a symphony..

Well thats just my opinion on a few things

OP
Totoro

Totoro

Apr 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Little Abby
Yes, thats what it was..elongated palate. Anyone ever corrected that?

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I thought all bulldogs had the pink color in the nose area, I know Oits does and I have seen many a pic on here and most do - am I wrong to think that's normal? Mind you it's not overly pink...

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
i wonder if it stays a little wet when she drinks water and irritates it a little; like [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] said, don't wipe too much, that can dry out the area as well. I had Katara spayed at 6 months; she did wonderful, her normal self that same afternoon.. I was impressed at how fast she recovered. I think the general consensus is to spay if you are not intending to breed. Abby is beautiful!

Bulldoggie371

Mar 11, 2012
Willis, MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Ciara, Boz, Echo & Aries
Abby is a doll! My opinion if she's not scratching I would leave it alone. As far as the elingated palette goes, had my Callista's done at a young age because she could not eat without throwing it back up. If Abby is not having this issue I would not worry about it. No need to keep them under sedation any longer than necessary.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
White bullies tend to have a pinkish 'tint' to them.. my girl's face is almost always a little pink especially in the warmer months.

Elongatted palette... we had to have it done for our boy, but Banks did not need it; however, you do want it checked to ensure it is not an issue.

Spaying - if you are not going to breed... then spay

OP
Totoro

Totoro

Apr 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Little Abby
Her face still is pink and shes been indoors all day today..so maybe its not sunburn. She still isnt scratching at all, so maybe its like somneone said...just a pink face. I see some other pics of members bullys with white faces that look pink too, so I guess it is normal.

Since everyone suggests it, I will get her spayed when shes old enough. I wanted a male later anyways and it would have to be done then. I just hate having to go through surgery...it kinda terrifies me after some of the stories I see on here. :eek:

It will definately not be done by my vet....:lmao:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.