Should we? Would you? ugggg...@!*%$!

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Its been a very stressful week at our house.. and now we have another dilemma!

I posted about how we found out Molly has hip and knee problems HERE.

Well... The breeder has offered us first pick of her next litter... for free.

On one side:
We could be looking at some hefty vet bills with molly. We already have 2 dogs, Molly and Ellie (10 year old cattle dog). And come on... would we want a puppy from a breeder that sold us a dog with hereditary issues?

The Flip Side:
The breeder has a good reputation. Molly's mom is going into retirement so it will be from her other female, a different bloodline but also from 'champion lines' (how is it all dogs come from champion lines?!?!). but the biggest argument for doing it is.... OMG, SO CUTE HAVING TWO!

It says in our paperwork we signed that we are basically buying her AS-IS (the breeder is not responsible for any health issues). The breeder doesn't need to do anything.. but she's already helped quite a bit.. and this (while totally crazy) is very nice of her to offer.

Am i nuts for even letting my wife think about this?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Oh my, what a tough choice. I'd definitely hesitate, but in the end, I think I would take her up on the offer ... and get a great insurance plan for him/her.

How's Molly doing btw? I hope she's still peppy.

Last edited:

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
I think Molly needs your undivided attention and extra TLC. If it were me I'd just focus on her and her needs right now. That's just me.

OP
TheLost

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
How's Molly doing btw? I hope she's still peppy.

Molly has turned her OCD attention to shadows... and has spent the last two days running into walls at full speed trying to catch them.

Im not sure my house could handle two :)

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Wow, really tough choice.

I personally would take the breeder up on the offer and like mentioned above see how they do together and if it's too much give that little bully to me :j/k:, to a friend of yours or someone in the area that has always wanted one but can not afford.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'd be all over it!!!

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Id take her up on the offer...She didnt have to offer but she did..

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
I would take the offer too most likely--but only if you get a great insurance plan. I would also have to think about the financial situation and what it might cost to treat Molly's issues plus the cost of another dog who might potentially have it's own health concerns or need for special treatment. Double the vet bills can be overwhelming! If money is no issue, I would go for it for sure then! Oh and although I sound like i'm being practical right now, i'm not so sure the "two would be sooo cute" way of thinking wouldn't completely take me over in the end too. :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well that is a hard decision there, one that will need some thought. If you have the money and the want for another pup, then this may be the answer. I think the breeder is trying to help out and that is great, but it's up to you if you want two bullies. Molly will need a lot of your attention when she gets worse and playing with the pup could cause her more pain. It is hard to keep them quiet when there is a play mate close by. I also would not take the pup and then if it does not work out, just give it away, especially to someone who could not afford to buy one, because if they can not afford to buy one, they can not afford to take proper care of it with the vet bills and such. This is just my two cents worth. I'm sure you will make the right decision that is right for you.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Well that is a hard decision there, one that will need some thought. If you have the money and the want for another pup, then this may be the answer. I think the breeder is trying to help out and that is great, but it's up to you if you want two bullies. Molly will need a lot of your attention when she gets worse and playing with the pup could cause her more pain. It is hard to keep them quiet when there is a play mate close by. I also would not take the pup and then if it does not work out, just give it away, especially to someone who could not afford to buy one, because if they can not afford to buy one, they can not afford to take proper care of it with the vet bills and such. This is just my two cents worth. I'm sure you will make the right decision that is right for you.

I totaly agree with DavidH, if they can not afford one then they can not afford vet bills and we all know how expensive that is and that is only the beginning of the spending.
Sorry to hear of Molly's hip and knee problems and I hope Molly does not suffer too much with her ailment and all the best for her future.
br 144.jpg

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
I would definitely take her up on the offer! Molly will have a little sibling to play with who has the same amount of energy as her! I agree with at [MENTION=4809]Danielle[/MENTION], I think it's a meant to be situation as well!!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
For all you know right now, Molly might not get any worse. From what I gather, surgery is only recommended when the arthritis sets in. If you keep her trim and exercise her arthritis might never set in. If it does, it does but I try to cross bridges when I get to them.

I would grab that puppy before she changes her mind and the very next day sign up for the insurance with the options pack.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

I couldn't have said it any better than that! Let us know what you decide!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.