Crate Training

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
So we are starting to gear up and buy the things we need for the wee baby Seamus. We are going to be away right before we pick him up so I am trying to buy and get the things I will need for a new puppy (12 weeks old when we pick him up). Instead of buying a new crate, we are using one that my sister had. My sister however has an American Mastiff (165 lbs 4 years old) and the crate is huge! Like 2.5 feet tall by 4.5 feet long, which is obviously way to big for our little puppy. Could somebody please advise me how small I should shrink the crate down to to start crate training? Also are there any suggestions to what we should use to divide the crate?

Thanks! Also, here is a new picture of Seamus ... he is 4 weeks old and 5 lbs!

Attachments

• Seamus 4 weeks 4.jpg
    Seamus 4 weeks 4.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 102

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
FYI, that is the cutest puppy EVER!

I may not be much help. When I started crate training Beefy I used the big one, the type for Mastiffs. I didn't have to section it off. He just did really well with it. I just stayed on top of taking him outside. At night, I set my alarm to get me up every 3 to 4 hours. It was like having a newborn all over again.

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
You should make it as big as your puppy needs to lay down comfortably in it. Not much bigger than that because they will use that extra space to go potty. You can section it off with cinder blocks or something else that the puppy can't chew on. They also make dividers for the metal crates, maybe you can find one.

Totoro

Apr 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Little Abby
I know you can buy crate dividers that should work for any crate. If you want me to give you the site just pm me. I use a small crate for our 10wk old. Sometimes I crate her at night and sometimes I dont. She'll sleep all night long in her cozy cave, and I usually wake up before her and take her outside. I really thought it would be hard but its been really easy.
Just go out after every meal and a few times in between and you should be set. I would think your pup should be old enough to hold it all night long.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.