Just one of those days...

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I am sure it is just because I had a most horrendous day today but as much as I love having my bullies, I sometimes fret because it seems like it's one thing or another with them, especially lately.

I took Bentley's death very hard, then Truman with his hip issues, Linus with his ear infection, then last night at 1 AM, Truman then Linus start barking. I know I have to get up and teach at 8 AM so I am hoping for the best - maybe the cats had startled them?

I come downstairs to see Linus has thrown up everywhere and Truman has pooped all over his cage. Clearly, they had both eaten something that did not agree with them. I narrowed it down to some new treats I bought or a bad can of food as the likely culprit and started to boil some rice and hamburger for the next day's bland diet. I also had to give Truman a bath, since he was covered in poo, and by the time things settled down again, it was almost 3 AM.

Things are looking up today and both doggies seem better after feeding on a bland diet and a little plain yogurt but, at times, it feels like a lot to deal with - the health problems, the diet, the allergies. I wouldn't trade the dogs for anything and I love them with all my heart but man, I need a break from the craziness.

I feel like I haven't had time to enjoy Linus and Truman because of all these problems and they have become a source of worry and anxiety instead of happiness and joy.

I guess this is pretty personal but I am hoping that by venting, maybe I will discover I am not the only one who has, at times, felt a little overwhelmed by the challenges of owning a bully.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I am so sorry you are having a bad day. You can take pride in being such a great pawrent. Just think of all those gooey, slobbery, wet kisses you will get from the two who admire and love you so.:heart::bully::heart:

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Sounds like you have sure been thru it lately. I'm sorry to hear you aren't enjoying your boys like you want to. I'm sure it's probably partly due to lack of sleep. That would stink to have to get up in the middle of the night to deal with those messes, it's bad enough during the day! This has got to end soon, I would think. Give them hugs, they'll give you kisses, and it'll all be better soon.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I totally feel you!!!! Samson has had his fair share of problems, the allergies, head tremors, ear infections and things that have been totally not breed related that I NEVER could have prepared for. Things like breaking his leg which needed orthopedic surgery, him swallowing a toy that needing to surgically removed. It has caused alot of stress and worry. I sometimes find myself over worrying and over reacting to things about him because of it! I have had those days too. The funny thing is though Samson normally becomes really loving and clingy during those times which quickly reminds me of why I do it all. I want a dog that will be my best friend and Samson is my best friend. Never have run into a better companion breed which is why at the end of the day I know I'll always have bullies :heart::bully: I've always been a dog lover but I never knew it was possible to love a dog that much until I got Sam.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
You poor thing, it is exhausting at times isnt it? As my smart mama always says "This too shall pass." and when it does the fog will lift and you will be able to laugh about it all. Truman is healing up so nicely thanks to your support of him and things will mellow out here soon enough. Lets just hope that today goes smoother for you than yesterday.

froggz

Mar 30, 2010
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
I've been there!!!!! Sadie doesn't have many health issues at all, but when we first got her (she's a rescue) she was almost unmanageable at times. She was kept with 9 other bulldogs and were mostly kept to themselves in a room. Sadie's not like other bulldogs whatso-ever. She literally has the energy of a french bulldog.

When we first got her she would literally maul people trying to get into their faces. You could ask for her to sit and she'd shoot upward and slam her face into yours. "Come here" was literally the only command she understood. I got her in April and the end of July was the FIRST EVER TIME that she "lay down" on command. When handed a treat she would take half of your hand, very very roughly too! Once she had the treat if anyone moved, they got growled at. She still tries to steal food, still acts out around company and still has an issue with relieving herself outside. She'll be outside for an HOUR and come in and promptly leave a mess on the livingroom carpet.

But I stuck with her. I could tell that she was highly intelligent and THAT was the part that flustrated me the most. She knew what I wanted but from her previous home she knew that if she just persisted she'd get what she wanted. Not here. I knew I'd be making the biggest mistake every if I gave into her as well.

But its working. She'll sit, lay, stay for a few seconds and is getting much better about settling down and being polite to people that are visiting here. Granted we get alot of stink eye out of her but so far so good.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Thanks everyone! Things are a lot better today - no more explosive diarrhea, a pretty good follow up at the orthopedic surgeon, and as if he sensed my frustration, Truman didn't have one accident in his crate last night or today. :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I feel you honey! After wondering and healing and treating and prodding- this past weeks have been a real challenge for me with Yuna and Tidus. Not to mention Mandy getting stuck between a cactus and the wall- trying to work down her nails that were not taken care of by her previous owner, testing dog foods, yeasty nose ropes, wrinkle experiments, Mandy's obsession with Sonoran toads, mesquite seed pods..... omg it has been a LONG SUMMER!!!!

But there are several things I have noticed. I am still learning. And I am trying. Trying to keep my babies happy and comfortable by giving the best food, taking care of their wrinkles, nails, baths....

During these times of sickness and craziness what you may not realize is that it is making your bond stronger.

Last night Tidus peed in his crate too, my hubby is here and he got up and cleaned up the mess- but boy was it crazy. Tidus is also wearing a cone on his head, so he cannot be comfortable, but his eyes are nice and wide open today, so I think- hey, he feels better- so I feel better.

My kids are the same tho- waking up in the middle of the night and throwing up spaghetti on my white burber carpet, middle of the night fevers and baths to lower them. But I know, for me, I must have things to care for to be happy. It is a huge part of who I am. Maybe I don't get to enjoy them all as much as I would love to, but I sure enjoy coming here and having friends I can talk to who can truely understand how I feel.

Glad you vented to us, you needed it. Let it all go girl, like Calis mama said, this too shall pass. Think of the wonderful things you have done for your bullies- if they did not have you- where would they be? (We know where Truman would be- so that in itself has got to make you feel like an angel! <o )

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
You are definately not alone. We will always wonder and worry about our babies. Vegas and his epilepsy...Orion and her "bully-tude". Limping, stumbling, choking, throwing up, biting, barking, fighting, begging..... It's never ending. I feel overwhelmed all the time. Plus working in a high stress job, opening up a small business, taking care of Mark's mom, trying to work on photography, getting "chewed" by Vegas, worrying over Charli, Delta and Baby Echo....I feel exhausted. I stay up late to get stuff done, then I don't sleep...........only about 4 to 5 hours of tossed sleep, only to get up and have it start ALL over again. **sigh** You are not alone. The day needs to have about 10 more hours in it. I need to retire, but that's still 30 years away!

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
My gosh you guys... makes me think my life is a piece of cake. But I, too feel blah. LeRoy and Norm got into a huge fight where blood was involved last night. And LeRoy and CHina caught my neighbors cat over the weekend and killed it. (We live in the country and the cat was loose in my yard). I feel like s**t about it all. I'm so overwhelmed, I could just explode... and I don't feel like anyone would miss me. I feel like I give my all trying and trying with these guys and they don't seem to be learning anything. Maybe it's just me...

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh bulldog family we would miss you! I think we get these stressful times thrown at us for a reason. ( I think everything happens for a reason) Just because we dont understand it now we will later somehow. It is all lessons to be learned and unfortunately it is the hard way a lot of the times. Why? I wish I knew, the easy way would really work for me once in a while! All we can do is take one step at a time and go with the flow. When I get bad news or something upsetting all i can do is cry and get it out of my system then pick up and move on. Cant change things, all we can do is hope to learn the lesson. Not always fun tho.

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Thanks Cali~jenn... I think I'm just in a funk. I need to sit in the sun and get some vitamin D. Maybe it'll help with my mood.

And your right... I shouldn't worry about things I can't control. :)

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
Chester just did his business all over my kitchen floor because he ate Milo's food :mad: So I feel you pain. We all have those moments {{hugs}}} to you today!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.