Apartment living

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Hi all:

We are picking up Seamus on July 15th and he will be 1 day shy of 12 weeks old. Super cute and we have been talking with his breeder a ton. She has been sending us weekly updates and photos which I have uploaded. We are really excited!

I was wondering if anybody who has also lived in an apartment could give me any pointers on potty training and behavioral training. We live on the 7th floor in a 2 bedroom apartment in Washington DC. I am planning on crate training him and will be home during the day so that shouldn't be too big of a problem. Any advice would be more than welcomed!

Thanks!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Scheduel scheduel scheduel, puppy pads puppy pads puppy pads.

and welcome to the site.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I used to live in a condo on the 3rd floor and so potty training was done indoors on pee pads. Since you'll be home during the day this shouldn't be too difficult to manage. Just start off with maybe 4 pieces of pee pads on the floor in the designated area you want Seamus to go in, and keep it at the same location every time. Take him to the pad on leash at first so he knows that's where he is to go; with time, as he starts going to the area himself, you can decrease the amt of pee pads til you just have 1 square there.

I wasn't home during the day so potty training was a little bit more "hit and miss" but my boys eventually figured out where they were supposed to go.

Good luck and congratulations on your new addition!

OP
ccurran

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Thanks for the advice. I really want to try and potty train him outside instead of using puppy potty pads. Do you think thats possible? I am planning on getting up in the middle of the night to let him out and then also trying to take him out every 2-3 hours during the day. In addition I will try and do longer (increasing as he gets older) walks in the morning and night.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I was just going to tag [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] but I see she's already responded. Yep, schedule & piddle pads. Get her outside the moment she wakes (don't even give her a few steps, lol, or she may piddle). You may want to try the bell method too on your front door. I haven't used it but others here have. It basically works that you train the dog to ring the bell when they need out. That could really help for apartment living. Your little guy is precious! Congratulations!!

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
I found the secret to house training is that I needed to know he had to go out before he did, and if you think you can get downstairs and outside quickly than maybe you wont need the pads. I kept a log when we were house training Rook (cause I'm weird like that), and the best advice I give in the beginning is to take him out first thing in the morning, no more than 5 minutes after meals, immediately after a naps and playing, if he has been up for more than an hour without being outside (you'll be able to judge if he can go longer), or if he starts sniffing or pacing around (if he's doing that you better make it snappy! :yes: ). We took water away a couple hours before his last trip out at night to reduce accidents at night.

Good Luck! Can't wait for you to bring him home!!!

Nadiel

May 10, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Bulldog(s) Names
Booker
Im in an apmt but on the 1st floor... what i did might not work for you but but i'll share. I used a patch of real grass turf from a local turf farm.

For just under $3 i was able to get a piece of turf that is 9 square feet (3x6).... My pup was paper trained when i got him home and all it took was putting a piece of paper on the turf and he got the idea pretty quick. The turf would last about 3 weeks before it got a little stinky and needed a change. I bought new turf 3 times so this method cost me just under $10.

I like this method simply cause the pup is peeing on actual grass, outside, instead of on pee pads inside. Booker is just over 6 months old now and hasn't had an accident in the house for months and pervious to that i can count the inside accidents on one hand so it worked well for me.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Im in an apmt but on the 1st floor... what i did might not work for you but but i'll share. I used a patch of real grass turf from a local turf farm.

For just under $3 i was able to get a piece of turf that is 9 square feet (3x6).... My pup was paper trained when i got him home and all it took was putting a piece of paper on the turf and he got the idea pretty quick. The turf would last about 3 weeks before it got a little stinky and needed a change. I bought new turf 3 times so this method cost me just under $10.

I like this method simply cause the pup is peeing on actual grass, outside, instead of on pee pads inside. Booker is just over 6 months old now and hasn't had an accident in the house for months and pervious to that i can count the inside accidents on one hand so it worked well for me.

Great idea!

Rupert

Mar 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Rupert
Hello! :walk: Rupert lives in an apartment, second floor. Rupert trained very easy, so we were very lucky. We did invest in the fake grass potty. We have it on the balcony and he took to it right away. It was helpful when he could not hold his bladder all night. I could just take him out there as opposed to walking him outside in the middle of the night. Which we did two nights in a row before the fake grass. It is like a kitty litter box without the litter and add puppy pads and fake grass. :poo:

The only thing that is a problem now is that in our apartment you hear your neighbors coming and goings. So, Rupert thinks they are coming into our apartment and runs to the door all the time. Then he is quite disappointed when no one is there for him to do his "happy door dance". :happydance:

Good luck and congrats on your new puppy!

IMG_2563.jpg
We also go him a soft bed for the balcony so he can lay in the sun which loves to do. Note that he has opted to lay on the ground. LOL What can you do?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.