Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
On MSNBC.com today.

Nearly 1,000 dogs now sick from jerky treats, FDA reports say

120312-little-dog-bella.380;380;7;70.jpg

Courtesy Robin Pierre

Bella, a 2-year-old pug, died last fall after her owner, Robin Pierre, said she ate Waggin' Train chicken jerky treats.

By JoNel Aleccia
Nearly 1,000 dogs reportedly have been sickened by chicken jerky pet treats from China, according to a new tally of complaints from worried owners and veterinarians submitted to federal health officials.

The Food and Drug Administration has logged 900 reports of illnesses and deaths since November, when it warned owners about continued problems with the products known variously as chicken jerky strips, treats and nuggets, a spokeswoman said.
Back then, the agency already had heard from 70 owners about problems ranging from vomiting and diarrhea to kidney failure and other serious ailments after animals reportedly consumed the treats.

Since then, complaints have mounted steadily, putting growing pressure on the FDA to solve the problem.The agency sent inspectors earlier this year to Chinese plants that make the jerky treats, but no results of those reviews are yet available, FDA spokeswoman Tamara Ward said Monday.

Despite repeated tests since 2007, FDA scientists have been unable to detect any toxin responsible for the animal illnesses, officials said. The agency has asked certain pet owners to send in samples of suspect treats along with their animals' veterinary records.Three top brands of chicken jerky treats were among those most recently cited by pet owners and veterinarians in complaints of harm, FDA records obtained by msnbc.com showed. They included Waggin’ Train and Canyon Creek Ranch brands produced by Nestle Purina PetCare Co., and Milo’s Kitchen Home-style Dog Treats, produced by the Del Monte Corp.Import data compiled by the firm ImportGenius showed that Waggin' Train and Canyon Creek Ranch treats are produced and supplied by JOC Great Wall Corp. Ltd. of Nanjing, China. Both manufacturers have insisted their chicken jerky treats are sound and that any illnesses are unrelated to the products.But representatives from Milo’s Kitchen confirmed that the firm has paid at least one owner who complained about a sick dog $100 in exchange for a release of all liability.The company examined treats submitted by the pet owner and reviewed veterinary records for the animal, according to Joanna DiNizio, a spokeswoman for the firm.“Following the evaluation, the veterinarian consultant concluded the symptoms experienced by the pet were not related to consuming Milo’s Kitchen chicken jerky treats,” DiNizio said in an email statement.The dog owner has declined to be identified, but Milo’s representatives said they provided the $100 as a “goodwill gesture” and asked that the consumer sign a “standard release form.” Firm officials said such arrangements are conducted on a case-by-case basis and they declined to confirm how many similar agreements are in place. A spokesman for Waggin' Train, Bill Salzman, said last month that the firm also negotiates agreements with complaining pet owners individually.

Such signed agreements do legally absolve firms of future claims, said Ron Simon, a Texas food safety lawyer.“What the company is up to is to try to assuage consumer complaints without accepting liability,” said Simon.However, he noted that in most states, pets, no matter how precious, are regarded as property with little change of recovering damages beyond the animal’s literal worth. Most lawyers probably wouldn’t accept such a case, he added.

“You don’t get mental anguish,” he added.That’s outrageous to pet owners who believe their animals were harmed or killed by contaminated jerky treats.Robin Pierre, 50, of Pine Bush, N.Y., contends that Waggin’ Train chicken jerky treats were responsible for the sudden death last fall of her previously healthy 2-year-old pug, Bella, who developed kidney failure. "Right now the laws are protecting the rights of these manufacturers and we as victims/consumers have none," Pierre wrote in an email to msnbc.com. Pierre is the founder of a petition to ban the jerky treats which now has logged more than 10,445 signatures.FDA officials have said companies are free to recall the treats at any time but regulations do not allow for products to be removed based on complaints alone. Pet owners can submit complaints to the FDA's safety reporting portal.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
If the FDA can't find any toxins, I wonder how they know it's from the chicken treats?

To be safe, I started making my own jerky for Roxy when this story first broke. 6 hours in the oven, 2 days on a wire rack. Simple as that, no worries :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
If the FDA can't find any toxins, I wonder how they know it's from the chicken treats?

To be safe, I started making my own jerky for Roxy when this story first broke. 6 hours in the oven, 2 days on a wire rack. Simple as that, no worries :)

:clap: I just saw your signature...what an honor! :hug:

Months ago..I read where they actually think its the chicken that's got something in it. Having difficult time because so diluted and processed ...but from China for sure! It's even in some of the "organic" ones from China..just stay away from all jerky treats..that's what my vet says anyway!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
:clap: I just saw your signature...what an honor! :hug:

I find myself looking for that quote at least a couple of times a week to reread it. With Abby and me on this roller coaster, you can't imagine how comforting those 2 sentences are. So I decided to make it easier to find. :)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
when are we going to learn that food and china just dont mix. :cursing:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
probably around the same time we learn that toys and China don't mix either :blink:
i for one try not to buy anything that says made in china. i have taken to buying made in usa things.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I feel bad for all those folks who's dogs got sick. Lots of people were probably buying treats because they love to spoil their dogs....then they got sick :( So sad

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I feel bad for all those folks who's dogs got sick. Lots of people were probably buying treats because they love to spoil their dogs....then they got sick :( So sad
I feel bad too, especially when I saw these at a local store a couple of weeks back.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
It's either Kibble wars or Treat wars, here at my house we are going home made. It bothers the :poo: wondering why my fur kids have an ear infection, or eye bugger's or upset tummy's or diarrhea. Just something I need to do for us.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
One of many many reasons I consider myself lucky for finding EBN!!! When I joined EBN we were feeding Beneful ....:barf: Joining this site gave me knowledge of proper nutrition for my babies and with the introduction of Fromm out went all the crappy treats. All their treats have been frozen and fresh veggies since that time!!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
If it weren't for Lisa, we'd be eating Puparoni LOL

Most Reactions