Once again, I need help

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Earlier in the week, Abby started this new thing. At first I thought maybe she was just feeling mushy but now I think it's more. She will only walk for me. My mom comes twice a day to let them out, she won't go. My son tries to walk her, she digs her paws in and won't budge.

She used to walk for them but not anymore. I supposed they could gently pull her a little bit, just to try to get her moving. But with her hips and shoulders I don't think that's a good idea. They've tried treats. They've tried praise. Giuseppe has even carried her down the stairs and planted her on the grass. But she won't move once he puts her down. When I grab the leash, she runs to the door, runs down the stairs, sits when I stop and of course plays welcoming committee to people trying to pass by. I tried faking her out. I put the leash on, I walked her down the stairs and even walked a little down the street with her. Then I handed the leash to my son. As soon as she saw I wasn't following anymore she dug in. She would only walk again once I caught up and walked next to her.

Obviously I can't have this. There are days (like today - 93% humidity! :eek: ) that it's impossible for me to walk myself to the car, never mind walk a sweetie head around the block. How can I change this behavior before it gets worse? LOL Can it even get any worse?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:hmm: I think Sweet Abby is really walking YOU!!! :laugh: Maybe if you go or at least start with your mom and son. Then let them keep going..you know :bully: if you can't beat 'em....join 'em!! Plus they are hard headed beasts!

Little by little she will go with them..I hope!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
When I leave the house, Bea goes into her kennel and won't come out. Grandma can't get her out with cookies or anything. She'll only eventually go potty when there's no way she can hold it one more second.

These dogs are funny.

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
My inner 8 year old is secretly thrilled that she likes me best :D But we can't have this lol She has to go outside

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
That's strange, I wonder why she would all of the sudden do that. Could something have happened? Like, for example, someone (other than you) was walking her and a loud bang happened and now she's associating the scary bang with anyone but you???

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Maybe a basic obedience class will help Abby with the walking "stubborness". Finn was like that where he just wouldn't budge...for me, or for anyone else w/out a lot of prodding. We did a few lessons w/a trainer on loose leash walking and the "heel" command, and he's so much better now with me and with others who need to walk him.

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
That's strange, I wonder why she would all of the sudden do that. Could something have happened? Like, for example, someone (other than you) was walking her and a loud bang happened and now she's associating the scary bang with anyone but you???

I guess anything is possible? but they walk her at different times. Mom walks her while I'm at work and Jr is in school. Jr walks her before and after school. I walk her when I get home from work and before bed. What are the odds that she got scared twice with different people?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
You are the alpha, and she has decided that she only has to walk for the alpha...... Have no idea how to correct it tho. Other than kisses.. .... HRH always gets kisses... LOL :<3:

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
But I have to correct it! :hissy: I cant be there all the time to walk her. I've even told her that. I doubt she understood me, but I told her :laugh:

I kiss on Abby all the time too. That's the only time she tries to get away from me :(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Bruce hit the nail on the head.... you are the leader and the rest are just minions

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
im thinking that for some reason abby thinks that you are the one and only one she has to do anything for. now she has to learn to do this for others so i would stop walking her myself and just go when others walk her. give her the idea that your not going to be the only one doing it. then have them try it alone. i have no idea why she would stop walking for them unless she has learned that mama is her only caregiver. also does anyone else do anything for her but you. does anyone else feed her or pet her love her alot. i would get others involved in her daily care instead of just you. have your mom come over and feed her sometimes or your son. teach her that its ok for others to do things for her. step back as her main caregiver some and see if this helps.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.