Dog Food Blues

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
GGGrrrrrrrrrr, I can't take it anymore, I am litterly obsessed with dog kibble, I am pulling my own hair out.
I just can't takes no mass. This dog food recall has us spinning even though we aren't feeding the recalled lamb. I have more GD dog food sitting at my house since I order 3 mega bags at a time, I feel like I'm running a social services for dogs. I have not been telling anyone of my obsessions with this, now my husband thinks I'm loosing it. He's right. At this point I am swearing on the Bible.
I have fed these critters such a variety of kibble it's no wonder their systems are confused. I can't trust what is in the kibble any more. Jay ,my husband wants me to make my own now since he's against raw with so many bully's here.
Let me start from the beginning.
First there was Ultra Holistic, then there was Fromm, then there was NVI, then Wellness chick, then Natural Balance lite with chicken, and I know I'm forgetting 2 other foods. Today I bought California Natural Lamb and rice and I ordered for Pet flow California Natural lamb and rice lite. cause the store didn't have the lite. Somebody just please freaking shoot me. I am about to do some research on how to prepare my own and freeze it, since we did buy the damn thing to fill it with raw.
:cry: I feel like such a fool, honestly, I must have been compromising my baby's immune system. Feel free to jump right in and just shoot me, AMEN

ps. I just cancelled my pet flow order, I'M GOING IN, gonna make my own. the end
I think I feel better now
:laugh:

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
If it makes you feel any better...I totally get where you are coming from....are you really going to make kibble? I didn't know the home cook could do that. Or are you going to make home cooked meals and then freeze the portions? I struggle with all packaged food for myself, family, and animals...I want to believe what the label says but too often we find out after the fact that the label was wrong or there is some loop hole that certain ingredients didn't need to be mentioned...it's beyond upsetting and the rules for pet food are just shameful....I don't feed my dogs 100% home cooked but when there is time and sales I make meals to feed and freeze so I know some of the time they are getting whole food. As for the processed dog food I've pestered the hell out of The Honest Kitchen and Orijen about ingredients and labels to ease my fears...I have written confirmation as to the quality control and sources of ingredients and I will become litigious if I find out otherwise because it's unconscionable to me that any company would knowingly sell poison....be it to humans or animals.....see I'm equally nuts.....lol....

OP
Sherry

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
If it makes you feel any better...I totally get where you are coming from....are you really going to make kibble? I didn't know the home cook could do that. Or are you going to make home cooked meals and then freeze the portions? I struggle with all packaged food for myself, family, and animals...I want to believe what the label says but too often we find out after the fact that the label was wrong or there is some loop hole that certain ingredients didn't need to be mentioned...it's beyond upsetting and the rules for pet food are just shameful....I don't feed my dogs 100% home cooked but when there is time and sales I make meals to feed and freeze so I know some of the time they are getting whole food. As for the processed dog food I've pestered the hell out of The Honest Kitchen and Orijen about ingredients and labels to ease my fears...I have written confirmation as to the quality control and sources of ingredients and I will become litigious if I find out otherwise because it's unconscionable to me that any company would knowingly sell poison....be it to humans or animals.....see I'm equally nuts.....lol....

:u2:

:bow: I am going to put together the ingredients and freeze it in serving baggies. Most likely a raw healthy mix. I've been searching until the cows came home. There is so much information out there, I can't do any worse then the way these company's have been storing up the food in large bins until they even bag it. Crying shame. I feel like I'll have 20% more free time when I can feed them safely and freely giving them all kinds of good stuff. The time has come my friends. Time for me to get it right for us. It won't be the pray model but it will be safe and healthy.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Good for you!!!

Abby's been eating home cooked food and she is thriving. Her life expectancy has more than tripled. I have a ton of recipes for healthy or sick dogs that I could send you if you like. I even have one to make your own kibble :)

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]. I feel your pain to an extent. My issue is more figuring out allergies etc. but my husband thinks I'm nuts about dog food.

[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] I may pick your brain once we move and get a little settled. It may be time for me to make Chunk's food too. Once we move, I will hopefully have the room to store it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Good for you!!!

Abby's been eating home cooked food and she is thriving. Her life expectancy has more than tripled. I have a ton of recipes for healthy or sick dogs that I could send you if you like. I even have one to make your own kibble :)

Please please post your recipes, not sure if you saw but we created a forum just for that :). You never know when anyone will take the plunge if they are posted :D

OP
Sherry

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] & [MENTION=1081]Chunksmama[/MENTION] yes I have been feeding these guys what I thought would be good enough for all of them. The food recalls drive me nuts. and doing searches I've seen the types of diets and homemade food for kidney issue's too. I have always wanted to take control of their diets, I wanted to feed prey model, since that won't be happening, to me, this is the next best thing. The kitchen is my playground and I can't wait to get started. :cooking: I must wait until Thursday to start because I want to be here during the day. Work stuff came up, calibration week, will be on days from Monday through Wednesday.
Anyhow, I think of everyone here daily and the frustration that most everyone else feels too. Except for the raw feeders and the people who make their own, those are the peeps that I admire and want to benefit from.
Grinding fresh veggies and keeping it gluten free, adding the carbs that are necessary, giving them the balance of what Mother Nature intended just warms me to the core. I'm starting to sound political, don't mean too.
I will be using up the kibble that I have, just little bits of it at each meal. And believe me, I got lots of it. Close to 150 pounds.
A slow transition so to speak.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.