Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
My bulldog, Maximus, is so wonderful, but I find that he seems to have lost interest in playtime, and many times I find him just sitting on the floor staring at the floor or into space. I find it so odd. It's almost as if he is Sad and depressed, and that has me very concerned. He has tons of toys but rarely goes near them. I tried to find more "interactive" toys, but they all appear so very dull and boring.

I'm concerned about my Max, and wonder if anyone else has ever had this problem ?

Thanks.

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
he may just be mellowing out. you can get his thyroid function checked to see if it is low

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
My Oliver doesn't play with toys often. Even during puppy kindergarten, when it was puppy play time and he could get in the middle of the room for a free for all with all the other puppies and toys, he preferred to just sit at my feet and watch. Even now, when Sebastian and Remy are playing with each other or toys, he will jump on the couch and just observe. Now he does play with a toy occasionally, but he prefers to play with it by himself and not with the other two.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Maybe he's is waiting for you to play with him. lay on the floor and if he's interested, you'll know for sure. Maybe he'd even just want a belly rub instead of a chewy. Different strokes for different bully's .

buffalobabie

Apr 11, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
Gregory
I find gregory gets bored of his toys fast, so I started making interactive toys for him. May sound silly but took a stuffy tied it on a string then to a pole, kind of like fishing and dangle it in front of him. He chases it around then when I let him catch it and he lets go he gets a treat. He plays with it for about 15mins then it goes away, that way he doesnt get bored of it.

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Aubrey could take or leave toys. She had certain ones to loved and would just cuddle with and others she would toss around every once in a while. She liked to chew on antlers more than anything, but every once in a while she would play with a toy when she was feeling good. Other times all she wanted was to play with a toy with us. Just try different things. If he wants to play he will, but he may just be a bully that loves to laze and be loved rather than play.

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Hmm. Maybe he needs another dog for a playmate? Bubba plays constantly with my other dogs. Likes to grab a toy and be chased by them. I know a lot of people in here are not fans of dog parks but..I have a big off leash dog park near me and bubba absolutelyoves it!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Mr. Wilson does not play much. Toys are destroyed too fast so all they have is deer antlers. I know he's capable of joy though because if I drop a plastic bag from the grocery store he grabs it and trots away with it like he just hit the jackpot! But of course I have to take it away which makes me feel bad because I just ended his happy time. Louie and BabyGirl just don't want to play with him. He may not be the brightest bulb but he's very sweet and I love to rub his belly which he enjoys very much and he loves long walks so I try to be his friend and we take our time and enjoy the scents and sounds along the way. He's such a big dog that other dogs just want to challenge him for dominance. Well at least he has me and my hubby to love on him.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Thanks everyone for your replies. Max, I guess, has changed a bit. He used to love playing with toys, and he used to love playing with his "Sister", a 3-year old Pug.
But now he has turned into a "couch potatoe", and If I lay on the floor, all he wants to do is lick my face for hours. I personally think licking me is a stress-reducer for him. He licks faces, and legs, and will do it for long periods of time if you let him.

I actually am thinking of getting him some Nature's Variety Raw Frozen Bones to chew on. This will give him something to do. But I do agree with a previous poster
who said they lose interest quickly. Max does lose interest in toys quickly, and he can do days and weeks without picking up a toy at all. I guess I just feel badly for him and don't want him to be unhappy.....

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
@Twice...If I don't take the bag away BabyGirl and Wilson will get in a tug of war and eat the bag. It's not fair...I tell my husband, "Why do I have to be the bad cop?" I have to do all the discipline and my husband gets to just say, "Come here Wilson I'm the nice parent."

@Maximus...BabyGirl use to be all perky and now that she is 3 she has slowed down a lot and will just sit next to me and paw me for attention. The contrast makes it look like she's sad/bored but I know she just wants me to look and pet her endlessly and since I'm a human it seems like that wouldn't be enough for me but I guess for some bullies that is all that is required to fill up their "happy meters."

I had a blood workup and urine test done on BabyGirl to check her thyroid among other things and other than a UTI the vet says the rest of her test results were normal.

Last edited:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Even sedate little Bea will go nuts for a cheap, "crinkly" water bottle (remove cap, plastic ring) or a big yogurt bucket (washed, lid removed). Oh she'll only play like the dickens for five minutes --- and then nap; but she does play! Of course, Bo goes berserk for either of those items also - but he maintains a more sustained berserk...one that must be watched or it will teeter into over excitement.

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
I hope Sarge mellows out soon, that guy has me going 24/7 I dont know where he gets his energy. How old is he? my Gunnyboy would do that also but was very happy.Give him a little time an he will get back to normal.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I forgot to mention; BUBBLES! Bea has an insane prey drive so she LOVES this game. Bo doesn't have a koo koo prey drive --- but even he gets into it from time to time, as pictured in this feature film that was NOT produced by [MENTION=4305]Vince00[/MENTION] (sadly!)

http://youtu.be/7km3TVXxHI0

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.