Pool dangers

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
Every time Beef and I go somewhere I encounter people that always say "We use to have an English Bulldog but he drowned in our pool." I know this is a very serious concern but I never had any idea of how often it happens. There are 16 kids in Bryce's class at school and 2 kids in just his class have EB's that drown. Do you guys hear of this often?

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
It's sad how few people have their pools enclosed. I think all pools should be enclosed for safety of animals, children and even adults (we've all had one too many here and there!). It just makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
My pool in my backyard has a 6' wall around it, with iron gate panels to still see inside it from the patio. It really looks as though it is in the yard even with this design. But once you go into that area it really feels like another part of the yard. I would feel so uneasy if it were not gated off... I am sure we would've already had a tragedy if it wasn't.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I haven't heard of it around here but being in Nebraska...not lots of pools.

OP
jen74401

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
I mean, 1 woman told me it took her 2 weeks before she found her dog at the bottom of the pool. 2 weeks!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
The thought of a poor bully drowning makes me ill. I don't ever plan on having a pool but most of my neighbors do.

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
I'm still certified as a lifeguard and have worked around every kind of water source.....anyone or any animal can drown and it only takes a few minutes.....if you have water it's your responsibility to gate or fence it so accidents don't happen....it's been my worst fear opening up a pool in the morning to find something in it (thank goodness it's still only a fear)...where I work now we have a pool and the best way to lose your position there is to forget to lock the pool before closing.... Drownings never have to happen if people use their common sense. Ps most bulldogs can't swim

Bulldoggie371

Mar 11, 2012
Willis, MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Ciara, Boz, Echo & Aries
Pools scare the heck out of me with EB's. You also have to watch boats. A friend of ours lost their Bully to falling off of their boat. Their new Bully always wears his vest.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I know it happens, but never known anyone it has happen to

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
It happens all too often. It's not that they all can't swim, it's that they're a mass of muscle in a dense compact body like a block brick. My husband's friend had a friend's who bulldog jumped off their boat while they were on the lake and unfortuantely it sank to the bottom and they never found it. :cry: That was a few years ago.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I mean, 1 woman told me it took her 2 weeks before she found her dog at the bottom of the pool. 2 weeks!

Can you imagine what the inside of that woman's refrigerator looks like? There's probably cultures growing in there that can never be eradicated....! Ewww.

If it took her two weeks to find the dog, then she's got even bigger problems than that going on.....avoid her!

OP
jen74401

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
Can you imagine what the inside of that woman's refrigerator looks like? There's probably cultures growing in there that can never be eradicated....! Ewww.

If it took her two weeks to find the dog, then she's got even bigger problems than that going on.....avoid her!

I try as much as I can. lol

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee

That is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!!! Terrible on so many levels. And quite scary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.