Sanctuary

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I was sitting around tonight talking to Jordan about Gertie (the hopefully "addition-to-be" next week). He told me that I seem to enjoy taking in old dogs and I should just open a sanctuary, then I can have all the senior dogs I want. He was just teasing me but how awesome would that be!? I can't even imagine everything it takes to run a sanctuary...having a couple bullies is expensive enough! :) Start up fees, vet fees, legal fees, paperwork...the list goes on and on I'm sure!

So...how many of you have day dreamed about having a rescue/sanctuary or some kind of program. I'll bet I'm not the only one!!! :D (I know we have lots of other foster parents here!)

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
I have thought about it a lot but all the expense would be crazy

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
For me it's a bully daycare / overnight boarding. Then I'd use some of the profits for rescue/sanctuary.

Life's too short to not be able to give. :)

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Well if I was 21, single and independently well off...I'd give it a shot! OK, seriously...I don't think my heart could take the sadness of losing an elderly bully even though I wouldn't have any problem with the care and maintenance end of it. You have to be a very emotionally strong person...but for the right person I imagine it would be extremely satisfying giving a bully a loving environment in it's final years.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] - exactly. I admire the hell out of those folks in hospice. Likewise, I admire those folks that take on senior bullies. I get sad when one of my FISH dies....clearly, I'm not cut out for sanctuary work. If I won the lottery, I wouldn't start my own, I'd just donate tons of money to the ones doing the best job now and let the professionals handle it. I get heart sick when I read the rescue threads....I'm just not tough enough.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I have often thought about it if we ever won the lottery. I would love to open a sanctuary for senior bullies. It would be hard when they passed, but if I knew that I gave them a happy and loving home and spoiled them rotten in their golden years before they passed, it would be of some comfort knowing that they were going off to the Rainbow Bridge having been loved and treated as they deserve....like bullie kings and queens.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I haven't only thought about it, but I plan on it. Like you said tho there is a lot of preparation and paperwork to get started to be "legit", which is how I plan on doing it. I really want to start now, but I know with 4 kids and the amount of time it takes I must wait. We have the space, but it needs work, father in law will be coming to fix it up.

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I haven't only thought about it, but I plan on it. Like you said tho there is a lot of preparation and paperwork to get started to be "legit", which is how I plan on doing it. I really want to start now, but I know with 4 kids and the amount of time it takes I must wait. We have the space, but it needs work, father in law will be coming to fix it up.

That's wonderful!!! Will it be a rescue?

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I'm buying a house this summer. There was a beautiful house that I was looking at in Sparta NJ. 7.24 acres of property. It was over an hour from my job, 10 miles from the HS that my son would be going to, but I still wanted it thinking of all the dogs I could rescue out there.

But the house sold :( It's still on my list of things to do and I ain't dead yet

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As others have said... I've thought of it, but my heart would not be able to handle it. I donate as much as I can to help out the rescues and such.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
That's wonderful!!! Will it be a rescue?

Yes, I am thinking both English and French bulldogs. I will start with English and see what the demand is. I have a feeling we will be getting out of state ones more than likely. Although I found out 1500 dogs are PTS in Tucson per MONTH!!!!! :angry:

Most Reactions