I need advice from experienced Bulldog Owners

wienerdogfan

May 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Hi I'm Dianne and I'm new. First of all let me say, I love Dachshunds. What am I doing posting on a Bulldog Forum? Since I was able to spend the day with an English Bulldog named Biscuit I fell in love with the breed. That was two years ago and I have been researching the breed ever since.

I am a stay at home mom, with one grown child that lives with me and my hubby. I loved two dachshunds growing up, and when I was able to stay at home and did not have to work I bought my first dachshund as an adult. She is now a senor dog and an only child so I would never bring a rambunctious bulldog puppy in on her.

Hopefully my little dog has a few more years left so I am in no hurry to purchase my bulldog, but I do want one as my next dog. The thing is I want another dachshund as well and I thought how cute would that be to let them grow up as friends. The only thing I worry about is the total difference in size. I want an English Bulldog male and a Dachshund female, (which will both be fixed at the proper time). Dachshund females are about 8 to 10 pounds, sometimes smaller, and I understand a Bulldog male can be on the average fifty pounds.

I thought maybe getting the dachshund first, and waiting until she is about nine months old to get the bulldog puppy. The reason is, for a very short time the bulldog will be smaller then the dachshund and I can leave it to her to teach this bulldog youngster dog manners. If she can nip, or growl at him if he gets a little rough with her she can establish a respect factor from the bigger breed.

Do you think this is a good idea? Any ideas? Am I worried for nothing?

Dianne

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
You put a lot of thought into that! I would have to agree...it seems logical. And the dachshund being the first one there would give her/him a step up the alpha ladder as long as the bulldog isn't persistant on 'bullying' the dachshund (lol, no pun intended...well, maybe a little) :)

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I think that is great logic. I wouldn't worry too much about the size difference, my in-laws have a senior daschund, 2 young labs & a young german short hair & guess who rules that house?! The doxie of course! Being a doxie lover, Im not surprised that you fell in love with bullies, the 2 breeds are alot alike. Way too smart for their own good, stubborn, excellent companion dogs, lots of things except the barking!

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
Sarge is 50 lbs and my poodle is9 lbs and sharge is gentle with foster. He knows how hard to play with him. They love each other. Ive had foster for 9 yrs and Sarge a little over a month.They are gentle giants and I cant see a Bully hurting another dog.

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
Beefy, my EB is 6 months old but Karma, my English Mastiff is 5 months. Karma is 10x bigger than Beef but they are absolutely great together.

OP
W

wienerdogfan

May 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Thank you for your opinions and I do encourage more. The last comment about the bully hurting the doxie is a concern although I know if the bully hurt the doxie it would be a complete accident. I do know the bully's reputation for being a gentle giant although I am taking into account of a puppy having so much fun it doesn't know it's own strength. Doxie's do have the back issues.

You are right as well Doxie's and Bulldogs do have similar traits. On you tube I saw a Pit-Doxie mix and I thought what a combination. They've introduced more mulishness into this strong breed. I must say, it would be a close race to put a bulldog and a dachshund together and try to pick the most stubborn. They'd probably die of starvation if they both had hold of the same hotdog.

The Bulldog is such a sweet dog and I love how their whole rear end wags when they're happy. I watch all the You Tube video's and laugh at their antics.

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
I think you've really thought this through! Our friend has a 9 year old daschshund, Poochie. Rook LOVES her, but Poochie is not so impressed with his antics. She is really patient with him, but you can tell she gets annoyed... and he may have tried to chew on her ear once when he was a puppy, so I can't really blame her!
When she was younger, and more spry, they would have made great playmates so I think getting the two pups within 9 months of each other would be a perfect combination. :yes:

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
My mom has a daschchund, sheltie, and english mastiff. Guess who is the middle child and runs the other two around? The daschshund! Heidi has an attitude and is not afraid to use it. She puts the mastiff in his place and he wants nothing more than to be buddies.

OP
W

wienerdogfan

May 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Thank you for your reply, and yes I have thought this through. I have spend a lot of time researching English Bulldogs on the internet, with articles and "How To" You Tube videos. I know they can be hard to housebreak but so are dachshunds. I know they have skin issues and tear duct staining issues and I am prepared to keep my forever friend's face clean and dry. I know they don't like extreme weather that Michigan can have (where I live) and my dog will have air conditioning in the summer and a warm house in the winter. I know they enjoy being a lap dog even with there size and I am more than happy to accommodate.

Also about your older dachshund, my doxie is really beginning to slow down and I don't want to bring a puppy in on her during her senior years, bless her. She is a happy only child and believe me, I know, a puppy wouldn't breath new life into this old girl. It would worry her to death in between being jealous and worrying about her food and whether the puppy would get it.... Wouldn't be fun. Here name is Tootsie, but she can become The Tootsinator when another dog gets between her and food. It wouldn't be pretty.

OP
W

wienerdogfan

May 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Thought I'd share this. It's a Dachshund and a Bulldog puppy playing. Everything is going good until the puppy hurts the dachshund and the dachshund shows him whose boss. It's an example classic dog behavior. It's like the dachshund is saying, "Wait a minute there Small Fry! You hurt me!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8mkVnhx54I

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
All this talk about Tootsie, I want to see her!

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
I think getting the english after would be a good idea. I have an English and a French bulldog, Gio my english is about 55lbs and Diva my french is about 23lbs.... and let me tell you, my frenchie calls the shots! Gio and her play very well together 98% of the time, but if Gio ever is too rough with her, she will let him know and he runs away as if Diva was a 1,000 pound bear!! Post pics of Tootsie if you get a chance :D

OP
W

wienerdogfan

May 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Here's my Tootsie. She was young here, about a year old.

ee0c.jpg

More recent
004.jpg

115.jpg

tlc6487

Dec 1, 2011
Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
Trooper
Hi! I just had to respond when I read your post because we have a beautiful 2-1/2 year old bully named Trooper and a 6-month-old miniature long-haired dapple dachshund named Chip (we also have a 9-yr-old Rottie mix & a 7-yr-old rescue wire-haired dachshund). Trooper is 65 lbs of solid muscle & Chip is 5 lbs of solid energy & attitude and they have gotten along great since the day we brought Chip home only weighing 2-1/2 lbs!!! Chip has never been intimidated by Trooper and Trooper has always been very easy w/Chip. If Trooper is playing with a toy & Chip wants it, he just goes right up & takes it away while Trooper has this puzzled look on his face! It's too funny!!! We love, love, love all our fur babies & they all get along great and I'm sure when the time comes, you'll have no problem with a bully & a doxie!!! Here are pics of Trooper & Chip...

View attachment 21228

View attachment 21229

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.