Lunging at bigger dogs?

pdac1975

Mar 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Wallace (Wally)
Hello all,
First off, Wally has always been incredibly sweet and gentle and has never had any problems playing with all types of dogs. He is the same around children.
Lately though when we are walking him, he will occasionally lunge and snap at the bigger dogs (not all of them, just once in a while). It's pretty embarrassing and is not indicative of his personality at all. Could it be that he thinks he is protecting us? He plays with bigger dogs all the time off leash when at day care and has no issues. I'd like to find a way to stop this from happening or possibly even getting worse.
Any thoughts?
Thanks as always!

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
sounds like if he gets along with them while you guys are not around him that he may be trying to protect you guys but I don't really know how to fix that behavior. Maybe [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] would know...

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:ohmy: Sweet Wally? I have always been old dogs don't perceive size. That's why Chihuahuas act like they are Rottweilers..so it must be more than a size thing? He is neutered..right? I would want to correct that ASAP. That can certainly get out of hand. I'd kep him on a very very short lead..and try to anticipate his lunging. Correct immediately and strongly. He will sense if you are nervous so try to stay relaxed on your end. Image [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] can chime in..

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
sounds like if he gets along with them while you guys are not around him that he may be trying to protect you guys but I don't really know how to fix that behavior. Maybe [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] would know...

[MENTION=3872]Watson[/MENTION] - I am NO EXPERT! What I am is a disciple of Cesar Millan. I am because I have seen the magic happen!

Lunging is almost always fear based. As the pack leader, YOU control the meeting with other dogs. Lunging is not a behavior you want and so you must disagree with that behavior. Try this...when meeting another dog, keep your dog at your side or just behind your leg. (Like in a typical "Heel" position) YOU stay between your pup and the pup you are meeting and be prepared to disagree with any lunging. If you are controlling the meeting, there's no reason for your dog to be fearful as her/his pack leader "has it covered". :) Watch your dog's behavior PRIOR to the actual lunge. You will see when he/she is getting into that "mode" and disagree with that BEFORE the lunge occurs. Remember, you are in between your dog and the other dog, running this meeting! MOST IMPORTANT: VISUALIZE A SUCCESSFUL MEETING.

You can also offer your dog's rear to the new dog - which immediately puts him in a submissive role. (This is great as long as the other dog is balanced/not a jerk)

You can practice with someone you know so it's not awkward -- you know, before you launch your dog on the unknowing public. ha ha

Walk confidently. Head high, pack leader energy; YOU CONTROL THE WALK! Now go for it!

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
[MENTION=3872]Watson[/MENTION] - I am NO EXPERT! What I am is a disciple of Cesar Millan. I am because I have seen the magic happen!

Lunging is almost always fear based. As the pack leader, YOU control the meeting with other dogs. Lunging is not a behavior you want and so you must disagree with that behavior. Try this...when meeting another dog, keep your dog at your side or just behind your leg. (Like in a typical "Heel" position) YOU stay between your pup and the pup you are meeting and be prepared to disagree with any lunging. If you are controlling the meeting, there's no reason for your dog to be fearful as her/his pack leader "has it covered". :) Watch your dog's behavior PRIOR to the actual lunge. You will see when he/she is getting into that "mode" and disagree with that BEFORE the lunge occurs. Remember, you are in between your dog and the other dog, running this meeting! MOST IMPORTANT: VISUALIZE A SUCCESSFUL MEETING.

You can also offer your dog's rear to the new dog - which immediately puts him in a submissive role. (This is great as long as the other dog is balanced/not a jerk)

You can practice with someone you know so it's not awkward -- you know, before you launch your dog on the unknowing public. ha ha

Walk confidently. Head high, pack leader energy; YOU CONTROL THE WALK! Now go for it!

Sounds like an expert to me

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@Watson - I am NO EXPERT! What I am is a disciple of Cesar Millan. I am because I have seen the magic happen!

[MENTION=2087]pdac1975[/MENTION] this is great advice above --- as she stated, if you are nervous it is going right done the leash and to Wally. He sense everything so be calm and confident. Any indication of you being tense or apprehensive will set him into protection mode - lunging.

OP
pdac1975

pdac1975

Mar 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Wallace (Wally)
Thanks everyone and sorry for the delayed response. Great advice here as always. I think the problem is that in the past we haven't been nervous about him meeting other dogs since he was always fine with them. Even now, this behavior is so infrequent and so out of character that we are caught off guard. It's probably not helping that every time we do meet another dog now we are on high alert and hold him as close to us as possible. He's probably interpreting that as fear? Who knows. I will make an effort to put myself between the two dogs when they meet and be calm and see how he reacts. I've also been warning other dog walkers that he's a bit scared sometimes just so they are alert to the issue. Hasn't happened again since the original post so hopefully it's not getting worse.
Thanks again everyone!

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
My bullies bark and want to run up to another dog to play/sniff! We were at the vet the other day and Stella started barking at a big huge bull mastiff and the poor thing was so scared he pooped all over the floor!! I was so embarassed!! I usually will tell them not to bark and redirect.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online