Vacation

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Hi Everyone!! So I am hoping you guys can help me out with this as I know you will understand! My husband and I would like to go on vacation! Granted this is probably a year off but that gives us time to get things figured out! As you can imagine I am nervous about leaving Winston. Everyone tells me hes a dog not a child but hes my child and people that don't own bulldogs just don't understand! They are special and they need special attention! Anyways, my family lives out of state so that is kind of out of the question. I was just wondering what you guys have done or suggestions you may have?? We are in RI if anyone is around here! I want to have time to get Winston used to someone or some place before we even plan anything. Thanks I appreciate all of the help! :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well the best is to find another bully owner you trust to keep him, or a good pet sitter. We have a good pet sitter here close to our house and he will come 3 or 4 times a day, what ever we want, to let them out and spend a little time with them. This way they get to stay home.

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
This is often something I worry about if my parents or my bf's sister couldn't watch them. I don't think I would feel comfortable leaving them in a kennel/boarding place. I worked at one before and saw how things worked around there and it just wasn't up to my standards (which I will admit are pretty high). If it were me, i would interview some "in-home sitters" or like [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] said 'another bully owner'.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I am fortunate to have 2 friends that I trust with my babies and can always ask to come house sit them. Dont think I could board mine personally just because I have an attachment issue. Cant cut that cord to let them go anywhere without me, same with my skin kids. Gosh I hope I never have to worry about not having a sitter..

LoveMyBully82

Aug 30, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
We are fortunate to have a couple that we know nearby who have three bulldogs and they watch Jackson when we are away. The one time they weren't available we boarded him and I'll never do it again (he came back smelling terrible and with gook in his eyes which told me they didn't wipe his face down as instructed). I have a few neighbors that have fallen in love w/ him, so I may try them in the future. Do you have a bulldog meetup in your area? If so, over the next year, befriend some bully owners and see if maybe they could watch your baby while you're gone.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
We leave Ftse with our daughter and her family, but in the past I have had to board my pugs in the kennels and I dont think I would ever do that again. But I know that my daughter will look after Ftse as her own as she just adores him but of course we will get Bullysick from being away from him.
I know i'm not allowed on here.jpg

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
That's good that you are planning ahead, Lauren. You got some good suggestions. Check online for agencies that do pet sitting. I have used one myself when Tate and Finn were younger and I wanted someone to check in on them during the day. I like the idea of having a trusted person come over to the house rather than me bringing the two to a strange environment. Many will also spend the night at your house...but you must interview and get reliable, good references of course.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We've done a few things.....

boarding/daycare (non-crated/open environment) -- this worked well, but they just were not bulldog savvy enough for my liking
only planned vacations that they can come with us -- my personal favorite :D
My sister lives 20 mins from me and she came and stayed/visited trough out the week we were gone.... this is your best option - find a trusted friend or get a petsitter now and work up the trust between you, them and Winston.

Also, my boyfriend does this for friends of ours and it works out great. They are always telling us how relaxed they are knowing their children (2 100+ lb Cane Corse) are in great hands.

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
With one year to go... you have plenty of time to:

1) Start looking around your area for a good daycare/lodging facility. Ask around, read the reviews.. find the one that is ALWAYS booked solid. Once you've narrowed it down and your comfortable with the owners/workers you can try a few daycare sessions. You'll know when you've found the right spot because you'll feel better about them watching your dog... and you dog won't want to leave.

2) Find a dog-loving-neighbor you trust who also wants to go on vacation and start watching each others dogs.

I prefer option #1.. We have a couple of good places around us that are awesome. The owners and workers love the dogs and they are very well taken care of. The good ones have webcams you can watch from your home/phone/tablet. The one we use most gives out a journal when we pick up the dogs that lists their day-by-day activity (who they played with, pictures from each day.. and a checklist showing they took their medicine and how much they ate).

My wife likes option #2... because its cheaper.

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thank you all so much for the suggestions and information!! I will definitely start looking into sitters/daycare. I def. do not want to board him I just can't do it. I will begin searching for the perfect place/person for him!! :)

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
i have my dogwalker take care of him when I go out of town. He stays at my dogwalker's place who has an older dog that Watson gets along well with.

kev122573

Mar 1, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Tipsy
Tipsy has
1) come with me if I am driving somewhere, there are many pet friendly hotels. Some offer care packages for them too:)
2) stayed with friends/family who know/have dogs.
3) stayed at pet hotels, I prefer a place where she can have her own room, not crate. I have a few places that also have cameras and I can watch her anytime from the web.

Hope you find a place and enjoy your trip :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I just saw a new thing on the news..it's called Petvacay...it's private homes that take in pets so they don't have to go to a kennel. It's an actual business that is all over. Get personalized great care ..lots of exercise and are a temporary member of their family. Said they are about half the price of a kennel. Might see if there is one in your area.

We always use a petsitter. She stays at our house and keeps our routine with our dogs and cats. Also, we like having someone here when we are gone. Ours used to ork at our vets nd I'd this as a IDE job. She got such a following that he was able to quit her job and has a great business now! You might ask at your vets office if anyone does pet sitting..

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
I am always so afraid to leave Beefy anywhere that I have a friends niece stay at my house. She's a vet tech and Beef loves her. Do you have any friends that may be willing to be a "nanny"?

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thanks everyone! I am going to have to look into all of this, talk to the vet and friends maybe someone will be willing to stay with Winston becuase I do like the idea of him being able to stay in his own environment!! Thanks for all of the suggestions, I really appreciate it!!! :)

Most Reactions