What is the recommended age for a bulldog to leave its mother?

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
We recently paid a deposit on a new puppy and the "tentative" game plan is to bring her home at around 7 weeks assuming that she is eating solid food. Is this too young? I've always been under the impression that 6-8 weeks was the normal, but I know bulldogs have their own special quirks and I've been out of the puppy ring for a number of years.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
In my opinion 8 week is minimum. I know it's diffifult to waite, but you want to do what's best for the puppy.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Yes have heard 8 is the best, gives them enough time to start socializing and such with mama and siblings. Congrats on your new baby!!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Nothing under 8.... should always be at the very least 8 weeks old. [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]

Kassie

May 15, 2012
Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus McGee
We are currently waiting on our EB. We ran into a lot of BYBs that were releasing at 6wks, but after our research we found out 8wks is best

fcamargo6thave

Apr 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
8 weeks if u get him earlier then u might run into alot of chewing problem especially on your hands lol congrats on the new addition

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Definitely wait till 8 weeks, 12 is better.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
AKC law states that it is illegal to sell the puppy before 8 weeks. Not that the seller can't take your money, just that the buyer can't take the puppy before 8 weeks. My belief is the socializing a puppy learns between 7-10 weeks with its litter mates can not be matched. after too long though like at 12 weeks old, it's getting past bonding time and that too is hard on a puppy. They need to be with the family with who they build teaching and bonding. Way back when, in the 60's and 70's it wasn't uncommon to take a puppy from it's mother at 5 weeks old. Lots of health issue would arise. Skin, teeth, and immune systems were comprimised. Of course we didn't have all the good food, or knowlege we do now. good luck and enjoy your new baby.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online