Bedding Odor question

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I bathe Vegas about every 10 days, I wash his face daily, and he still has an "odor" smells like dog when you walk into my home most days. He loves stuffed animals and he has his own pillow in his crate, He also has a piece of carpet that we had cut, and duck taped to the bottom of his crate. I wash his pillow and animals weekly to help with the smell. My question is.. I buy Febreeze for pets for my furniture and I was wondering if I could spray the carpeting in his crate? The bottle says "safe for animals" but I wonder if it would be dangerous if he laid on it? I do spray my area rug with it and he lays there and on my couch so I don't think it would hurt?? If not...does anyone have a suggestion what I could put in his crate that would not harm him to help with the odors?? And am I the only one that has a stinkey dog even though I do wash his face daily and body 3x a month? His stuffed animals stink because he likes to "suck" on them so it is slobber smell. Thank You.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
With two bullies in the house that I do not wash on as regular a basis, I know what it is like to be worried about odors in the home.

I have used Febreeze on bedding and things like that but I am not sure it will reduce the odors that drastically, especially on something that he sleeps with. I would suggest, if you can, removing the carpet and washing it in bleach or OxyClean to help with the odors.

The other issue in the back of my mind is that a smelly dog might not be a healthy dog. I am sure you have written it somewhere but what are you feeding him? Are you noticing a major overgrowth of yeast or debris in his wrinkles or ears?

My Linus was a stinky dog too (I had to wash the blanket he slept with almost daily because it had that "doggy" stench) and a change in his diet has made him almost stink free.

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Jill
I am SO FORTUNATE, I have one of the most healthiest bullies:D, he is 14 months old and has only suffered one ear infection when he was 10 months old. He has no yeast in his face or ears, I feed him right and clean him well, and I am just lucky he is so healthy!!! it is not that kind of smell, it is more like a "wet dog" smell, I live in Florida where it has been over a 100 for a couple of months, I think it is just sweaty dog smell. He did not smell like this in our cooler winter 70's, I do not let him out, only to potty. When I wash his stuffed animals, I put a couple cap fulls of bleach to a full load of water with a little soap. I am afraid the bleach would make him itch (he does suffer from outdoor allergies, that is why the daily face wash, he actually goes out with his nose to the ground and inhales everything, then sneezes his head off) I am just tired of cleaning my behind off, moping, vacuum, Febreeze furniture, area rug, to come home from work and smell dog.

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
I know what you are talking about.. Chester has that "dog" smell too at times, we feed him Avoderm. I haven't found a way to completely get rid of it.. except make sure he's bathed weekly and wash his bedding :(

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
i bathe lex once a week with oatmeal and baking soda shampoo and cond, i get it at petsmart and it keeps the smell to a min.... also if you put cedar shavings in the stuffing part of the pillow it helps absorb the smells in the bedding/pillows..... i also use some spray from www.drsfostersmith.com called OdorLogic® Allergen spray and odor neutralizer, once a week i spray the curtains, pillows, rugs anything thats fabric and that seems to knock out alot of the odor!!! at nite we try to open windows to the rooms they stay in the most to let the rooms air out and breath...and i steam the floors twice a week w the shark steam mop, it has an adaptor that you can steam area rugs w that gets rid of ordors and dust mites

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
I would think febreeze would be ok. Just let it dry before putting him back in. I use alot of candles, and that seems to help. I try and steam vac my carpets once every other month or so depending on smell. I bathe my dogs only when I think they need it. I wash Norms face and tail every other day, his eyes every day.

Good luck

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I know that smell also. It's almost like a sweat smell, except I guess dogs don't sweat. Vegas gets that smell occasionally when he's outside and playing hard. I try to NOT use febreeze..someone said that it caused thier dog's epilepsy to rear it's ugly head. Meaning, the dog already had it, but they thought the febreeze brought on seizures.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.