Basket Muzzle Suggestions?

apogee

Aug 24, 2011
Colorado
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla
Maggie has an unfortunate habit of eating things she shouldn't. Typically outside things - poop, rocks, wood chips, pine cones, etc. It wasn't so bad when the weather was colder and she wasn't spending much time outside, but now she's outside much more frequently and eating a lot more of this stuff.

The vet recommended a basket muzzle for her, something that would allow her to pant, but wouldn't let her eat her inappropriate diet. None of the local pet stores have this kind of muzzle so I'd have to order something online.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this kind of muzzle? Also, Maggie is small, 35 lbs, so any size recommendations would be appreciated too.

Thanks!

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Can she only be outside to go potty and when on walks? That way you would be there and could discourage the bad behavior as soon as it happens. Hopefully over time she would get the picture and stop doing it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Can she only be outside to go potty and when on walks? That way you would be there and could discourage the bad behavior as soon as it happens. Hopefully over time she would get the picture and stop doing it.

Agree.... is she outside unsupervised or just that fast?

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I'm personally against this type of muzzle and any muzzle for that matter unless your dog has severe aggression issues. Wilson and Emma (and Jack too) all like to eat the bark in our yard. Wilson ate pooh for a year until just recently. So far the bark hasn't hurt them. They don't eat rocks though. Where in Colorado are you? We go to Dr. Geiselhart at Homestead Animal Hospital in Centennial (he's a well known bully vet). What vet do you use? I'm curious why a vet would recommend a muzzle. I'd be out there with Maggie working with her first before a muzzle.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
I would never put a muzzle on my babies!! Our little one Libby loves eating anything she can get ahold of, we just go outside w her her and supervise her outings. She is getting better but I think supervision is the best for bullies. :)

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
I would never put a muzzle on my babies!! Our little one Libby loves eating anything she can get ahold of, we just go outside w her her and supervise her outings. She is getting better but I think supervision is the best for bullies. :)

Our lab Bo hates the vet, he has had a awful experience nothing w the vet, just he went there when he fell out of the back of the truck " freak accident" but of course now we take every precaution possible w him. He tried biting the dr when we took him for his yearlys. Or vet never put a muzzle on him he just suggested a muscle relaxer to be taken before he comes in next time. I am wondering why a vet would recommend a muzzle as well :/

OP
A

apogee

Aug 24, 2011
Colorado
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla
I use Banfield for my vet. The vet I talked to the other day was one I hadn't seen before. Apparently they rotate the Dr's in and out of there pretty regularly. I live in the Springs.

When I'm not home, the dogs (Maggie and her Basset Hound sister) are in the house. When I am home, I do let them outside unsupervised. They love being outside and spend a lot of time in the yard.

Supervision would help with the poop - she knows she's not supposed to eat it, but does it anyway if I'm not around. She only eats her sister's poop, and her sister poops on a pretty regular schedule, so I know when to watch for it and can usually get it picked up before it's eaten... at least most of the time. So the poop eating is annoying, but it's not a huge deal.

It would also help with wood chips and pine cones since it takes her a while to get those chewed up.

But supervision doesn't really help with rocks. I've seen her scoop one up off the patio and swallow it without even breaking her stride. She can have one in her mouth and down her throat before I even have time to react. About 1/4 of my back yard is landscaped and covered with small rocks. The thing with the rocks is she doesn't eat them all the time. It just seems to be a once in a while thing. No idea why some days she eats them, and then will go days or even weeks before eating more.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I use Banfield for my vet. The vet I talked to the other day was one I hadn't seen before. Apparently they rotate the Dr's in and out of there pretty regularly. I live in the Springs.

When I'm not home, the dogs (Maggie and her Basset Hound sister) are in the house. When I am home, I do let them outside unsupervised. They love being outside and spend a lot of time in the yard.

Supervision would help with the poop - she knows she's not supposed to eat it, but does it anyway if I'm not around. She only eats her sister's poop, and her sister poops on a pretty regular schedule, so I know when to watch for it and can usually get it picked up before it's eaten... at least most of the time. So the poop eating is annoying, but it's not a huge deal.

It would also help with wood chips and pine cones since it takes her a while to get those chewed up.

But supervision doesn't really help with rocks. I've seen her scoop one up off the patio and swallow it without even breaking her stride. She can have one in her mouth and down her throat before I even have time to react. About 1/4 of my back yard is landscaped and covered with small rocks. The thing with the rocks is she doesn't eat them all the time. It just seems to be a once in a while thing. No idea why some days she eats them, and then will go days or even weeks before eating more.

Just that fast.... ugh! We are going through this with our Frenchie... if it is not nailed down he is trying to eat it - constantly pulling stuff out of his mouth - grass, mulch, stones, leaves, paper -- no clue how to stop him either. So far the only thing that works is keeping him on lead when outside... we also have a deck that we let them lay out on without supervision becasue it is gated, but if some thng lands on it from the wind -- yes, he will eat it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online