Update on Herschel

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Quincy, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
As you know, Herschel was scheduled to be neutered on Friday and I dropped him off in the morning. Unfortunately, the vet had a couple of emergencies come up and he was not able to be neutered. They are giving me a discount on the neutering to bring him in next Friday though.

Herschel did get all his shots, tests etc. done and he is a healthy boy. Vet said he could actually gain a little weight but he is healthy. He is just a very athletic bully and burns a lot of his calories off. They also think he might be a little younger than a year and a half but not by much. His cherry eye was out for the vet to look at thank goodness. He said he didn't want to do surgery yet since it pops in and out but he also said it looked like he had a bit of an infection in that eye and gave me some medication for it. It went back in last night overnight and it hasn't come back out. Getting the medication in Herschel's eye is a challenge. He usually looks up at me with those big beautiful eyes but the minute I grab the stuff, he squinches his eyes shut and if I didn't know better, I would think he was all wrinkles and no eyes.

So, since Herschel got a reprieve yesterday, we jumped in the car and met my parents up in Cairo, GA for the gaslight parade at 8 PM. Herschel got his first ride in the back seat (with me of course) in my parents' 1917 Model T Ford. He was the star of the parade! He met several other dogs, including a basset hound named Harley who he adored.

At home, the cats are finally daring to get close to Herschel. Samuel, the more friendly and inquisitive cat, finally got nose to nose with him. It was a staring contest, until Herschel's tongue escaped his mouth and scared Sam... the cat flew about three feet into the air. Now he isn't scared of Herschel though. When Sam comes to get my love, the only problem is that Herschel will put his face almost into the floor and push Sam out of the way with his big ol' head. Kind of like a bulldozer. Cyrus, the other cat just hisses at Herschel and Herschel respects that, although he looks a bit dejected that Cyrus is a bit rude to him.

Oh... one more thing... Herschel hates the old cemetery next to my house. Some of the graves are civil war vets and even one of Patrick Henry's grandsons is buried there. The newest grave is about six months old. It's small but the first time I tried to walk Herschel by it, he took one look, stared for about 5 seconds, spun around and ran into me, nearly knocking me over and pulling me all the way back down my driveway. He hates it, day or night. My dad said it reminded him of Shasta, their white gsd that we had when I was a baby... she wouldn't go anywhere near this mausoleum up on the side of the mountain in upstate New York where I was born. Makes you wonder...

All in all it has been a fantastic week. Herschel is such a joy and certainly the love of my life. He has settled in nicely, and I think he is happy here even with those annoying cats!

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Herchel's cutie pie! I can just see him being the star of the parade. Glad to hear he's getting good marks from the vet...and I don't know about the graves spooking him, today Schultz wigged out because I forgot to unplug the vacuum cleaner's cord...he jumped backwards and knocked over the vacuum....bullies are goofy like that....enjoy him!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:pics: Herschel in a Model-T and there are no pictures here??

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Herschel in a Model-T and there are no pictures here??

EXACTLY!! Until I see pictures, I don't believe it happened :D

I have a friend who swears her dogs see ghosts. They stare at the wall and bark at absolutely nothing. They say animals are very intuitive so I don't doubt it.

OP
Danielle

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
Sadly, I was in the car with Herschel... Hoping some of our friends will send us the pics! Fret not, since I see many Model T rides in the future, there should be lots of pics to come. My parents have a 1917 Model T, 1920 Model T, and a 1931 Model A. :) I am looking to get a vintage Vespa (ideally a 1958-1964) with a sidecar for Herschel to ride hack. This would be for parades etc of course. There are great instructions on how to make the sidecars extremely dog safe for the harness and doggles are a must.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sadly, I was in the car with Herschel... Hoping some of our friends will send us the pics! Fret not, since I see many Model T rides in the future, there should be lots of pics to come. My parents have a 1917 Model T, 1920 Model T, and a 1931 Model A. :) I am looking to get a vintage Vespa (ideally a 1958-1964) with a sidecar for Herschel to ride hack. This would be for parades etc of course. There are great instructions on how to make the sidecars extremely dog safe for the harness and doggles are a must.

We will be patiently waiting ..... NOT!!

OP
Danielle

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
I am actually searching online (youtube/flickr/newspapers). He had A LOT of pictures taken and I am hoping someone posts them somewhere lol.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I hope you find pics. Would love to see them.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I can bet that given the choice...Herschel would choose a parade over being neutered any day! LOL

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Always happy for good vet visits...Ohhh pictures would have been great :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.